What's new
World Wide Stereo

Sony HTiaB, Xbox or PS3, and those pesky rear speakers (1 Viewer)

xxMayDay31xx

Auditioning
Real Name
Malin Hayes
So I have a Sony HTiaB. I realize there's only one Optical input, so I chose Xbox. Sometimes I rearrange and put the PS3 on the optical and I get the same problem.
No rear speaker.
Characters in-game will fade out entirely if they're behind me.
The crazy thing is, Netflix through Xbox works perfectly in all speakers.
So what little tick box do I not have checked?

Adam Gregorich

What to watch tonight?
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
Originally Posted by xxMayDay31xx /t/323436/sony-htiab-xbox-or-ps3-and-those-pesky-rear-speakers#post_3969238
So I have a Sony HTiaB. I realize there's only one Optical input, so I chose Xbox. Sometimes I rearrange and put the PS3 on the optical and I get the same problem.
No rear speaker.
Characters in-game will fade out entirely if they're behind me.
The crazy thing is, Netflix through Xbox works perfectly in all speakers.
So what little tick box do I not have checked?
Just so I understand, If you have the PS3 or the XBOX hooked up to the optical input and are gaming, you don't get surround sound info, but you do when playing Netflix through the XBOX? What about if you playback a DVD through either of them? What is the model of you HTiB and what surround mode are you using?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I'll shed some light which covers 95% of the "one piece" HTiB out there, cause I'm going to assume this is a DVD/BD HTiB...
The optical input on those is only meant to understand Dolby Digital(as in OTA via a set-top box) and nothing else. Except for maybe 2.0 PCM(cd player or your PS3/Xbox downmixed to 2.0 to use DPL, if this HTiB has DPL)
But unless you give us a model number...or this thing cost more than $500...this won't be in the 5%.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
prexhobby
Recent bookmarks