What's new

Song of The South Disney Web Page & discussion on why this film needs to be released (1 Viewer)

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Scott,
Thanks for the e-mail address!!! I added my vote, along with why I believe it deserves this honor.
For the benefit of others, I have reposted the pertinent links to the Disney polls (copied from the first page of this forum):
Vote for "Song of the South" as your, ...
Favorite movie of the 1930s and 1940s:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo...s/30s_40s.html
Favorite animated movie:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo.../animated.html
Favorite musical:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo.../musicals.html
Just click on either of the links above to vote and select "Song of the South" from the drop-down menu on the RIGHT-HAND SIDE of the screen. By letting Disney know that this movie is your favorite, it may help to bring it ultimately to DVD.
Favorite classic animated character:
http://disney.go.com/disneyvideos/mo...edclassic.html
(select "Brer Rabbit")
Nominate "Song of the South" for the 2002 National Film Registry (thanks to Scott for the link!):
[email protected]

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Wow!!! Keep those votes coming people, ... and tell your friends to vote too!
As of this evening, Song of the South leads the poll in the following categories:
#1 favorite Disney movie of the 1930s and 1940s!!!
#1 favorite animated Disney movie!!!
#1 favorite Disney musical!!!
and Brer Rabbit is currently the #2 favorite Disney classic animated character (right behind Mickey Mouse himself)!!!
According to Disney, these official poll results will determine the Top 10 list in their new 100 Years of Magic survey!!! This is our best chance to get Song of the South onto DVD. If it remains in these positions until then end of the survey AND it gets chosen for the 2002 National Film Registry, I believe that it has an EXCELLENT chance of ending up in their Treasures collection.
Keep those votes coming!!!
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: (two thumbs up for Song of the South, Mr. Ebert!)
:D

Harry E

Auditioning
I would like to give a few reasons political correctness
is wrong.
1:Who decides what is PC(political correctness)
2:PC is the reason we can't watch some of the Bugs Bunny
and other Looney Toons, Tom and Jerry, among others including the Censored 11 cartoons which will never be shown
or released.
3: PC is the reason everybody has to say Happy Holidays instead of Merry Christmas. Despite Christmas Day being on
the calender.
The main function of PC is to try make some people happy who will never be happy no matter what art or film you destroy.
It's other function is to have some people boast about how they care about minorities when they should anyway without
boasting about it.

James Miller

Stunt Coordinator
If you really think that SOTS IS the best movie in any or all of these categories then by all means vote for it, but I am hesistant to vote for it JUST because I want it released on DVD.

I'm not going to vote for SOTS as the "The Best Disney Movie Ever", let alone "THE Best Movie Ever" or the "Best Disney Movie of the '30s and '40s" let alone "THE Best Disney Movie of the '30s and 40's" quite simply because it isn't...

Like I said, a few may think it does qualify for these accolades, and should vote as such... (so, please don't flame me)

:)

george kaplan

Senior HTF Member
The main function of PC is to try make some people happy who will never be happy no matter what art or film you destroy.
It's other function is to have some people boast about how they care about minorities when they should anyway without
boasting about it.
I'm not going to respond very deeply to this because I don't want to cross the boundary of what we can discuss on this board, but I STRONGLY disagree with this. Everyone is entitled to their opinion on everything, but this kind of political debate doesn't really belong here.

Harry E

Auditioning
I will not cross over into what is not proper to discuss here. However for the person who responded to me if it's

not for studio execs trying to be PC(I know there are other

reasons as well)why are the films I brought up not available

for adults to purchase. Oh it's fine for people to be able to purchase XXX movies after all we are adults. But heaven

forbid we should be able to buy all the Bugs cartoons,or

Tom and Jerry etc,etc.

I as an adult should be able to purchase all of these films

and watch them. If I want to let my children watch them it

should be my choice.I would explain it to them.

All I hear from the entertainment industry when they are confronted about violence,bad language,or nudity is it's

just entertainment.

Well that applies to these films as well.

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
Concerning the Censored 11, I have seen these at a Convention recently, and man! You don't want those released. THOSE are racist AND stereotypical (to pawn the previous poster's terms). I can see why those don't need to get out there released in any form. What was sad was that these were made by some of the great animators of the time, like Chuck Jones (mine and many other's personal faves), Clampet, and Avery. The giants who put some of the funniest sight gags on the animated screen.
Is this politically correct to censor these? No, it is stuff that, even in context of the time, were very inappropriate and divisive. Song of the South, on the other hand, has nothing that these Censored 11 films do. Song of the South is uplifting and paints a picture of a period of time that this country went through, good or ill. I am not for censorship of art by an outside authority (which, in the case of the 11, that was the case) but I am for the self-censorship of artists. Sometimes, it is okay for a company to say "this really doesn't represent us as a company, now or then."
That said, I think Song of the South really DID represent what Disney stood for then (though, not now of course...HE was, among many things, an artist). It's somewhat stereotypical look at slave relationships with their owners is no more stereotypical than any other character that the studio puts out (now or then). It should still be released, period, warts and all. It isn't nearly as bad as the continually released copies of Shirley Temple movies.
Sheesh...oh, and I am a person who says "Happy Holidays" during the season. I just have too many friends who celebrate one or more of the many celebrations going on this time of year and it just became habit. Call me PC or just thoughtful to my friend's preferences (and yes, on Christmas it's Merry Christmas and during Hanukah, it is the same...sheesh)! So, Happy Holidays! :D
Phil

Phil Florian

Screenwriter
I also find it ironic, considering that gent who posted about Australian TV showing SOTS, that their country (and many others) have banned a video game called Grand Theft Auto because it is depraved, evil, and pointless (it is, btw) but in America, this game is released without question! Vive la differance! In America, violence is just fine, especially for children's game machines, but a touching story set during a difficult time in our history? Pshaw!

Phil

Harry E

Auditioning
No I can see not wanting them sold in stores where children

could purchase them. They don't sell XXX videos at

Suncoast but there are places people who like that kind of stuff can buy them.

However these films are part of the heritage of animation

and ADULTS who want to purchases these not because they agree with the messages but want to have a complete collection should be able to purchase them reasonably priced and of good quality.

The thing about Christmas is an observation of mine if you

don't agree well I can live with that.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
I am reminded of a "Seinfeld" episode where Elaine invites Jerry out to dinner with some Chinese friends of hers. "Oh, great, I love Chinese people," Jerry says.

"Excuse me? You 'love Chinese people'?" says Elaine. "Isn't that a little bit prejudiced?"

Jerry gives her a long, deadpan look, and says, "If I love them, how can it be prejudiced?"
Ah, but Elaine was correct. "Prejudice" encompasses ANY prejudgment, not just negative assessments. Of course, we've become conditioned to see it in the latter regard, but the truth is that anytime we make a determination such as Jerry's, it's an example of prejudice...

Scott Leopold

Supporting Actor
Quick question, What are the Censored 11? Can anyone post a list? I'm sure one of them is Coal Black, which I've got a copy of on video. This is definitely not one for today's kids. Actually, I've got two copies of it. I purchased a tape that advertised having it at the same time I won an auction for a tape of racist cartoons. My intent was to get a copy of Coal Black, not to spread any racist views or opinions. I'd been wanting a copy since high school, when an "Art of Warner Brothers Cartoons" exhibit ran at the Dayton Art Institute. They had some original art from Coal Black, and explained a little of the history behind it.

While I would never show either of these tapes to my son (at least not at this age), I think that the cartoon should eventually be released on DVD. I know there are quite a few old WB classics that are no longer shown, or at least are not shown uncut, due to their portrayals of Blacks and Japanese; however, just like SOTS (which I personally don't view as being anything even close to racist), I don't think these should be kept unavailable. Once WB starts releasing their Looney Tunes library on DVD, I'd like to see these questionable released on a separate DVD. Put them in context, and don't market them as a general release. I think they could serve as an educational tool just as well as SOTS. Also, your Looney Tunes collection would never be truly complete without them.

Harry E

Auditioning
Actually none of these cartoons were made for children.

They played before films in the 30's,40's and 50's.

That is why Warner and other studios try to cut them

to pieces now.That is also why the Tom and Jerry movie was a pales next to the original shorts.

Aaron Ulmer

Agent
I put in my vote.

Please Disney, find a way to make this happen. Song of the South is a part of American history, a chapter in our history that only the rest of the world can read.

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
Well put Aaron! I'm sick of studios releasing great films overseas and withholding them here in the U.S. This movie is definitely part of the American heritage.
----------------------
James M - While I certainly respect your opinion not to vote for Song of the South as the best animated classic, etc., I don't agree with the supposition, "... quite simply because it isn't." I think that you'll agree how subjective any "best of" poll is. If we've learned anything on this forum, we've learned that there are no absolutes when it comes to film preferences. Based on your post, it appears that's what you meant (i.e. that you are of the opinion that it isn't the best). {No flame here, my friend, ... just a clarification and (see below) an explanation regarding why I voted for it.} :)
I, personally, do believe that Song of the South is the best animated classic from Disney. It is the favorite of many other people I know as well who are around my age (early to mid 30s). I've seen nearly every one at their animated feature films during the original theatrical runs or subsequent re-releases. I tend to prefer Disney's hand-drawn animation, rather than their recent work that is beefed up with CGI. I find the former technique much "warmer" in the way it complements the story. Their newer stuff has more "gee wiz" effect, but it doesn't make a better movie for me. I also enjoy SOTS better than any other of Disney's films where animation is combined with live action. In spite of the silly notions that keep this film from the shelves, it also had a very positive, lasting effect on me at a very young age regarding how I feel about race and class. The reasons why are stated in my previous posts, so I won't repeat them here. The story is engaging for all ages, the characters are among the cutest that Disney has ever created, and the music is memorable (who can get the main title song out of their head once you start singing it, ... that one sticks). It's one of those movies whose sum is much, much greater than its parts -- which is why I love it and would like to see it on DVD.
Home theater enthusiasts:
If you haven't done so already, please cast your vote for Song of the South!!! {provided, of course, it is truly your favorite} ;)
:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: for SOTS

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
and the music is memorable (who can get the main title song out of their head once you start singing it, ... that one sticks).
The TITLE song?
Zip-a-dee-doo-dah, yes! How Do Ya Do?, yes! Laughing Place, yes. But, Song Of The South has NEVER gotten stuck in my head! :confused:
But, I guess that's why they still make both chocolate and vanilla! ;)

Steve O

Stunt Coordinator
I'm sorry, ... I meant Zip-a-dee-doo-dah. I can't really remember the title song.
:b
Nonetheless, it's a great film!
:star:

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.