What's new

Song of The South Disney Web Page & discussion on why this film needs to be released (1 Viewer)

Mark-W

Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark
Thanks for the link!
Yep, I sent them a message
(which the javascript link in located
on the left side of that window that opens up).
I just said that they could release it on DVD
with the appropriate introduction, commenting
on the controversy surrounding the title,
and how they still want to present it uncensored
as long as we take into consideration the context
in which the film was made.
Leonard Maltin did something similar in an
introduction to The Three Little Pigs
for the Walt Disney Treasure collection.
-Mark

Justin Lane

Senior HTF Member
Nice find. All fans of this film should take a minute and fill out the request form asking for this title on DVD. I made a note in my message saying this would be a perfect release for Disney Treasures.

J

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
I added the comment that I would want it UNEDITED. there is a link on the left hand side to request it on VHS or DVD.

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
Disney (or perhaps Anchor Bay or Criterion) may release it in 2002 or 2003.

I read an American Cinematographer article saying that Scott MacQueen is working on or has finished a restoration of the film.

Criterion has expressed interest in releasing animated titles...so, this would be a nice start.

I would buy this film even if it cost me 40 dollars.

(A censored version of this film would be roughly 30 seconds long. It is not offensive, but there's some stuff that "Joe Six Pack Who's offended by everything" will think is offensive. There's some very educated threads on what seems to be offensive but really isn't if you search on this board. It's tamer than Gone With The Wind, IMO.)

bob kaplan

Supporting Actor
Real Name
bob kaplan
it seems like, in this video world that stating the obvious is the wise thing to do...so i put in my bid for this title.

Keith Paynter

Screenwriter
Done!

And this is what I had to say...

This movie deserves to be seen on home video. Too many people have heard 'Zip-A-Dee-Do-Dah' and probably have never even seen the film since it was pulled from circulation. The issuing of this film would stop the rampant pirating of the Bristish PAL videocassette, and marketed properly, will appeal to fans of all ages and cultures. The portrayal of blacks in the film is far less racial than Gone With The Wind, and this film continues to be seen by generations. Don't let this film be passed by, and please don't make it politically correct by removing or altering materials. Thank you so much for the opportunity to present a viewpoint.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Done as well. Among other comments I summerized with

"Take a stand for Walt's good heart rather than being backed down by small minded people."

I really hope they think about that. While the film may reflect a period in which racial attitudes were not as thoughtful, it doesn't reflect any malicious intent by Walt and Co.

Greg Rakaska

Stunt Coordinator
To paraphrase Bill and Ted "Excellent!"
They have my vote, and I am going to do my best to spread the word, as I am sure all HT enthusiasts will do!

Carol Razavi

Stunt Coordinator
Please! Please! Please! Release this on DVD uncut! Do not hold back on this b/c of the subject matter, teach people about the world with this film. People can learn from this film. It's an Oscar winner for god sakes! I would love to finally have this movie in my collection on dvd. Maybe if you do it like the Walt Disney Treasures: Have Lenord Malton talk about the film and the history behind it. Or at least make a damn fine special edition. This is a classic that nobody has seen b/c it been held back so long, now is the chance for you to release it on the best format yet! I gaurantee everybody who loves Disney will want a copy. Thank you.
I sent this little puppy. It's a bit Forceful, but it's about time they hear that this movie needs to come out. I hope they get around to it, maybe as a Walt Disney Treasure.

If they can't, Criterion would be an excellant choice! Hell, I'm going to email a request to Criterion right now.

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
I used the link to send Disney a note suggesting that they give it the deluxe treatment, provide an introduction by a well-respected individual like Colin Powell, and market it as a classic "to complete your Disney collection". But then, I also said it was "Zip-A-Dee-Doh-Dah-riffic!" :)
Then I sent two personal friends interested in this on home video a note asking them to vote.
Then, since noone else indicated it was done, I sent another note to Digital Bits, DVD File, DVD Review, DVD Journal, The Guide to Disney Masterpieces Page, and even Moriarty at AICN (I don't read there anymore, but my wife does on occassion) to let them all know that this input was being asked for. Maybe they can all spread the word so that Disney will get the message pronto!!

Darren D

Stunt Coordinator
I realize that a lot of people may not agree with what I've written, but the following is what I wrote to Disney at the site:
Hi. I am a DVD enthusiast and I absolutely love the format...not only for the excellent quality but the format holds up much better and longer than VHS ever will.
I would love to see Song of the South on DVD, but I would like to see it unedited and uncensored. As a parent I especially understand the concern about showing racist or stereotyped attitudes that prevailed in older cartoons; it is embarrassing to have to explain how wrong attitudes were, especially since some cartoons might seem to be validating and promoting detrimental viewpoints on certain peoples. A solution to this might be to release the movies with two different packages, two different marketing approaches.
Under the Buena Vista Home Entertainment label, the movie could be released somewhat censored, with adequate disclaimers on the packaging explaining that this is a censored movie aimed at younger audiences. The other release could obviously be aimed at the Home Theater enthusiast such as myself, with extras that might include (for example) an academic approach to the problems and attitudes in period cartoons and films that may offend people of today. A company such as the Criterion Collection would do a marvelous job supplementing "questionable" films with this approach, and Disney Entertainment would still gain to turn a profit.
I see that there is nothing to gain by only releasing censored versions of Disney Classics. The past cannot be changed or glorified, but it should not be forgotten or ignored. There is educational value for us all in seeing the past as it was, as long as it is in the proper context.
Thanks for listening.

I got wordy, and my time to think and compose was running out, but I did the best I could. I, for one, would probably buy both versions and let my kids see the other one when they're ready. Comments?

Scott David

Stunt Coordinator
I too have done my part and cast my vote. I hope it works and Disney finally breaks down and releases it. I'm astounded at the hundreds of dollars that Japanese laserdisc commands on eBay.

I haven't seen the movie since it was last re-released theatrically in the early '80's, and while my memory of it is a admittedly bit hazy, I can't remember anything in it that would be considered "racist". Could someone enlighten me on this? If it was the character of Uncle Remus, I saw him more as a kindly old gentlemen who loved to weave tall tales to children, not a "stereotype".

Robert Dunnill

Second Unit
I cast my vote, persuaded two cyber-acquaintances to do the same, added the link to my Web site, and started a thread on another Forum. I've done my part. :emoji_thumbsup:
RD

Tyler T

Stunt Coordinator
Criterion has expressed interest in releasing animated titles...so, this would be a nice start.
Even though Disney would NEVER release a film like this, didn't Criterion have a LD of Akira once?
But, anyway I sent in my vote and I told them to release itUNEDITED and I also reminded them that even though they won't release the film because of it's stereotypes, they still can have Splash Mountain at Disney World, which recreates many of the scenes before (and after) the final plunge.
:)

Patrick McCart

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Patrick McCart
The Three Little Pigs originally had a throwaway gag with the wolf dressed up as a Jewish peddler. (Warner Bros. spoofed this aspect in their 1943 "Pigs in a Polka" This time, the wolf impersonated a Hungarian.)

After World War II, Walt Disney felt that the scene was in bad taste, so he had it re-animated (and overdubbed the thick accent) with no stereotype. It's not really censorship, but more like a "producer's cut."

He also trimmed some animal cruelty from Steamboat Willie showing Mickey Mouse playing a pig as if it was an accordian (using the teats as buttons) because of code regulations. (The cartoon was made before the Hays office came into being.)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.