What's new

Sleeping Beauty BD - 2008 (1 Viewer)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Well, even *without* THX re-equalization, the original soundtracks (PCM and AC-3 on LD, and Dolby Digital on first DVD) sound natural with smooth, liquid midrange versus the "wooden" and flat sound of the new DVD.

If the nearfield experience can be further improved from the original mix by THX balancing (haven't tried it) fantastic. But at this point I don't trust the Disney mixing/masting crew to push the buttons to do it!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Indeed, this is a matter that will require serious vetting. Rest assured when the disc is released that (hopefully my) review will reflect the reality of how the 2.55:1 aspect ratio was achieved, once image captures are possible.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

I have truly no idea about the production of Disney animation back then but maybe the camera had to film some kind of drawings/still pictures or whatever and they used these elements to arrive at the wider HD master for Sleeping Beauty, basically the original artwork that had compostions for the 2.55:1 early scope ratio. As you pointed out correctly there is no way to get a wider AR than 2.25 out of Technirama without some cropping. Having more picture information would mean to add information to the left and/or the right, not cropping the top and/or bottom.

It will be easy to see if Disney added or subtracted compared to previous version of the movie so I am not really worried about this and I suspect they at least did not rely exclusively on the OCN.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

The original art work for an animated film is almost never in a specific aspect ratio. More often the art work will reflect any camera moves that might be made. For example for a pan down the art work may actually be 5 times taller than it is wide. Or it may go in a diagonal direction if the camera is intended to pan down and to the left for instance.

The art work for Sleeping Beauty would probably more often than not be somewhat wider than for Snow White, just because of the nature of the wide format, but a specific 2.55:1 ratio would not come from the art work.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
Even if the artwork was wider, it's not like Disney's going back to the original artwork and reanimating the whole thing; we're still limited to what was captured on the original sequential Technirama negative and materials derived from it (I don't even know if the original sequential negative survives to this day).

I believe the current DVD was sourced from 35mm elements, and the current transfer displays some cropping (most noticeably at the bottom during the opening titles). Here's hoping they can source this transfer from more accurate elements.

JulianK

Supporting Actor
The difference between the two ratios is very small, and certainly more than would be cropped in a regular theatrical presentation.

It may well be that very narrow top and bottom mattes have been added to prevent splice marks intruding into the picture.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Acutally the difference between 2.25:1 and 2.35:1 aren't that much. 2.55:1 is a completely different story. That is quite a big difference.

You wouldn't see splice marks on the 2.35:1 ratio seeing as the full aspect ratio of Technirama is 2.25:1. The only reason for matting or protecting for 2.55:1 is if they intended it to be shown in that CinemaScope ratio. Which by the time the film was release, wasn't the ratio of CinemaScope anymore.

Doug

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

Interesting that it lists the wrong aspect ratio for both Technirama and Super Technirama 70.

The difference between the two is that Technirama is a reduction to anamorphic 35mm release prints (at 2.35:1) and Super Technirama 70 is a conversion 70mm release prints (at 2.21:1). As far as I know Technirama was never shown in its native format in the United States.

Doug

Edit: I missed the lower part of the list where they have the correct aspect ratios listed for the release prints. However I'm not sure why they have a separate listing for Technirama and Super Technirama under Cinematographic Processes, when they are exactly the same cameras, lenses and film stock. The only difference being the format the release prints are printed to.

DavidJ

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
That is cool. I wish all "kids' movies" included a dvd copy. I want to buy them on Blu-ray, but we need to have them on SD as well.

Scott-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott
That is a great idea for Disney movies.

I am all for it as long as it doesn't add to the price. And in this case, it looks like it doesn't.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Could the "bonus DVD of the movie" be a digital copy of the film? That kind of feature (which I think is unnecessary) has become more and more commonplace.

Rolando

Screenwriter
a copy of the movie on SD-DVD is not only terrific for us parents to add versatility but it is brilliant as a way to eliminates "pirates'" excuse that they needed to break the BD protection to make an SD-DVD back to watch a movie they paid for in another room of their house.

Yes I know they'll always have an excuse but this I thought was a fairly legitimate one. So now you buy this and you can enjoy it at home in the HT room, the kids can also watch it in the play room or in the carr on the portable player.

GREAT JOB DISNEY!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Wonder if that bonus DVD will be 2.35:1 (or whatever aspect ratio it ends up being on BD) WS...

fingers crossed...

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
This is hair-lair-e-us!!!
People HATED HD-DVD combo's cause they had too pay for an SD version they had or didn't want. But now its a GREAT idea (I understand: give one to the kid & kept the BD for u). Just think its funny cause last yr...
I'm against the digital copy/SD DVD, cause "I" don't want to pay for something "I" don't want.
Really looking forward to this release however, almost no better title to start off w/from the Disney vault.
Hey, people raved about the SD release & I suppose this will use that transfer as well; any digital artifacts we should worry about?
Thanks.

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

I hate any, and all double sided discs. But this isnt the case. Its an extra disc. As long as they dont jack up the price...im OK with it. I will give the DVD to my kids.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Hey people, don't start a combo hate thread here.
They are dead & buried!

I just thought the three disc (one SD DVD) & two disc (one digital copy) formats are pretty pushing it; considering what's been posted in the "past".
Hopefully those battles are also in the past!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks