What's new

Sleeping Beauty BD - 2008 (2 Viewers)

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick

Ed, i didnt say i hate HD DVD combos...never owned one. I said i hate double sided discs. They are flawed on DVD, and they seem to have had problems on HD too. But once again, its not an issue on this disc. Cause its not ONE disc, its TWO...sorry its THRE!. I just wanted to point out that many people have an issue of double sided discs, its not HD Combo hate.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I can not wait to get many Disney classics on Blu-ray. I actually do not own many Disney titles on SD-DVD so I really do not have to worry about double dipping to much. But I am hoping that Disney will remaster some of there biggest classics for Blu-ray in the next 4 years. Sleeping Beauty is one of there big classics and if it does not come out this year. I hope they do not delay it for to long.

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I'd agree with you Ed...if it in any way meant the price was higher than it was going to be without the bonus SD disc. But I thought amazon's $23.95 pre-order price was probably what they'd be charging for a 2-disc BD release anyway.

Having never participated in any HD-DVD combo discussions (either for or against), I don't think it's a perfect analogy in this case because of the price issue differential. Combo HD-DVDs were of a much higher price than non-combo HD-DVDs.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
Whether a digital download or a SD DVD, I would not mind them throwing in an SD copy for portability/something to watch on other TVs when I am traveling.

Unless the digital download is not iTunes/iPod compatible, in which case the disc might as well be a coaster.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Regards,

Robert Harris

Archivist
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Harris
This is neither a re-master nor an old transfer.

The tech staff at Disney has done everything in their power to make this very special, returning to the original 8 perf negative and earliest audio elements.

Sleeping Beauty portends to be a stunning Blu-ray set.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
That's a GREAT price for a single BD!!! ;-)

Wish this had the R2 cover of the SD DVD.
Anyone remember seeing it (or having it)?
Wicked!

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
If they're going back to the original 8-perf elements, that means we could be looking at an Ultra-Resolution type restoration. Earliest audio elements means death to the "tubby" sound that plagued earlier releases.

I've been trying to fight off going Blu until I have a new receiver, but if this will include a DVD of the film as well... I may have to pick this up.

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Based on the actual clips I saw and heard at the BD-Live demo in DC in June, unless they screw something up between what they did to prepare the test disc and the production disc, Sleeping Beauty WILL be a stunning Blu-ray set.

:D

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member

Do you still buy movies? Any movies that are out in Blu? If so, why are you waiting/spending money on SD facsimilies that you'll be spending more $$ to replace as soon as you finally enjoy HD realism of your favorite films?

Don't worry about upgrading the receiver just yet... that BD player will send a nice core DD stream to your legacy receiver at 640 kbps and blow any DVD away (even without full lossless). In the meantime... you'll be building a 1080p library. Then when you finally get your new HDMI recevier, you'll enjoy your whole 1080p collection all over again... with lossless sound.

going HD/Blu now = win-win.
holding off *and* buying SD DVD = spend more later to replace those SDs you keep buying.

If you don't buy movies, then it doesn't matter. But at $20 a pop every five SD DVDs is $100 you could have put towards your BD player.

Jari K

Senior HTF Member

Here here. And with DTS-HD MA, you´ll get the 1.5 Mbps "core" (=equal to "full bitrate" DTS-track). If you have proper HDTV (or projector etc), get the Blu-ray-player before the new HDMI 1.3-receiver. It´ll be worth it.

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I don't know what "Tubby" is supposed to mean, but I thought the 5.1 track on the laserdisc sounded great, like a vintage mag track. If going to the earliest audio elements means a modern remix and no repurposing of the original mix, I will be disappointed.

Regards,

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I haven't been buying movies for awhile, apart from the odd crazy deal on HD DVDs (currently 2 for $10 for select Warner titles @Wal*Mart). That being said, my HD-A30 is occupying the sole optical port on my 10 year old Pioneer receiver, which is Dolby Digital only. It has two coax inputs, but good luck finding anything other than an SD player with coax outs these days (also, no analog 5.1, if that was going to be your next suggestion). My current plan is to get an HDMI receiver, then a PS3.

As for the "tubby sound" comment, I've owned every iteration of Sleeping Beauty since the original VHS release in 1986. As good as the current DVD sounds, going back to the original elements, if done properly, could be revelatory.

Kris Z.

Stunt Coordinator
Sounds fantastic and I can't wait. But is it still going through the Lowry process to look like Cinderella, Peter Pan, Lady and the Tramp etc.? I'll buy it regardless though, as soon as I know whether to get the Region A or B version.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Two things too think about, for sure.
That's why I posted I'd be getting rid of my SD DVD "after the reviews come in"! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks