What's new

Sleeping Beauty BD - 2008 (1 Viewer)

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
More slack:
All Universal releases will be on HD DVD, soon enough.
Thanks Cees, back on top ick...
What's wrong with the framing/aspect ratio on the SD DVD?
Any other 'problems' w/the DVD?
Thanks, one of my fave Mouse movies of all-time!

EDitEDbyED:
From the esteemed Mr. Harris;
"I'm seeing an overly digitized and cleaned image, which worked with Snow White, but...

What I'm seeing here is a loss of sharpness, which has then been re-sharpened, with halos around areas of high contrast.

This also appears to have been produced from a 35mm scope element which has been poorly cropped vertically, as the bottom of the image is missing."

So maybe a few "problems"!!!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Most of the problems (aside from framing issues) with the SB DVD were compression-mastering related for the DVD itself: that loss of detail and edge-ringing (which was REALLY annoying once I got an HD display... my old SD 16x9 set didn't really show it since it was a smaller screen when I did the DVD review).

The HD transfer should lack those problems, though questions about the digital clean-up are the same questions that can be raised for all similar Disney titles:

Tramp
Snow White
Bambi
Cinerella
Peter Pan

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Thanks, as always.

Having seen what the Mouse has done so far on BD, what would be your guesstimate? (Dinosaur, is the only title that comes to my mind)

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Guesstimate about quality?

I have NO DOUBTS that when Sleeping Beauty arrives on BD, it will positively blow our HD minds.

Disney's Dinosaur is actually a pretty "ho-hum" BD title from Disney: they released it early on from an existing HD master and used MPEG2 at pretty average rates. It lacks the clarity and depth of many of their newer reference-setting releases.

As of now, virtually everything released by Disney on BD is being treated with the utmost care: fresh HD masters and optimal compression/mastering. Chicago and Pirates were both amazing and completely stomp all over any SD DVD release.

Eric F

Screenwriter
I've already seen Sleeping Beauty in HD and it already blew my mind.:D In fact when ABC broadcast it in HD it was the anniversary cleaned up master used for DVD for and OAR as well.

They only broadcast it 2x, and I really don't know why I didn't make a permanent recording to DVHS. Probably because I just hate having to edit out the commercials.

Ed St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
Good to know!
So, "Chicago" did not have the filtering of the SD DVD? That makes me feel MUCH better. I was thinking the "ills" of SD DVD were "in" the transfer/source. However, if the Mouse's transfers/sources are 'clean' & artifacts were only added when being done in SD for DVD, that would be GREAT!!!
So it may very well be, we get a primo Nemo on HD?!?!?!

DaViD Boulet

Senior HTF Member
Ed,

so far *all* of Disney's BDs have totally stomped all over their SD DVD versions... and made it *very* clear that the usual Disney problems with SD DVD are related to the video department responsible for DVD mastering. Those artifacts (like filtering and edge-halos) are not on the HD versions, which are consistently *reference* in quality.

I already stated that the HD master is probably in perfect shape... just the SD DVD mastering that was to blame for problem on the DVD. Recyling that HD master might not be a bad thing. Wait and see.

MatthewA

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matthew
I don't give two cents for interactivity. I just want substantial features.

Throw the grown-ups a bone, Disney!

Eric F

Screenwriter
I wholeheartedly agree Mathew. I think Disney is going to be seriously disapointed by the numbers with Sleeping Beauty. While one of their classics, it's not their best known. Also the equipment is still relatively expensive, and those of us who own it are not really into games, etc.

Hopefully by the time this disc hits the market there will be some affordable standalone Blu players available.

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

I think they may have chosen Sleeping Beauty because, though it was their second jump into widescreen feature animation, it was the first one that was really designed with widescreen in mind. Shooting Lady and the Tramp in CinemaScope was somewhat of a last second decision and was shot simultaneously flat at 1.33:1.

It was also a large format film (Super Technirama 70) and as such may be one of the best to show off in the HD format because of the level of detail that was put into the artwork.

Doug

BrettB

Senior HTF Member
Some more info (including video) here regarding Disney's plans for their first BD-Live title.

2.55 for the first time. Original audio found in Germany.

Cassy_w

Second Unit
What bothers me about Disney titles is they use filters on the soundtracks. Their remixes are completely flat, the life sucked out of them through dehissing and noise reduction. My nephew actually ripped the transfers from most of their DVD's and then used the older soundtracks, either from laserdisc or earlier DVD releases.

And they sound better. Much better. Amazing and sad. :frowning:

Douglas Monce

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Douglas Monce

2.55:1? Thats funny because the aspect ratio of Technirama was 2.35:1 when converted to CinemaScope and 2.21:1 when projected in 70mm. The actual full frame of Technirama was 2.25:1, so if they are going to crop it to 2.55:1, I think some folks are going to be very disappointed.

The story in that link must have some misinformation.

Doug

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
I'm hoping it's the same as Warner's announcement that HTWWW would be 2.89:1, when most sources refer to Cinerama as being 2.59:1; a simple typo.

OliverK

Senior HTF Member

There is a Sleeping Beauty trailer on some Disney discs and the AR looks to be around 2.3:1, so we will be fine.

With regard to correct aspect ratios the new formats have an excellent track record, so far no title in my collection deviates significantly from its original AR.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks