What's new

Silly question from somebody that should know the answer! (1 Viewer)

Mike Frezon

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Joshua Clinard said:
But can you get lossless on any other service? I don't think iTunes has it. Can you even get it on blu-ray?
Hmmmm. Is that a trick question, Joshua?

One of the main features of HD (Blu-ray) discs is the lossless audio, isn't it?

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
It turns out that you can redeem most Ultraviolet codes directly through Vudu, despite what the different manufacturers suggest with their codes. (For instance, Paramount's codes want you to go to a Paramout site, Warner wants you to go to Flixster, etc.) So now I pretty much just redeem everything directly through Vudu - the UV connectivity still exists, so I can still access the films on other UV-related services. (For instance, we use Vudu on the PS3 for UV movies, and I use Flixster on my iPhone on the rare occasion I want the movie to go.) So much easier than signing up for a million different accounts (which I probably did), and then remembering all of their passwords and logins (which I probably don't).

The biggest problem I'm having with the whole thing is that Disney/Apple aren't playing nicely with everyone else - so basically my UV library has stuff from every studio except Disney/Pixar/Marvel, and then my iTunes library has Disney/Pixar/Marvel and not much from anyone else. For my house it doesn't matter, since I watch the discs, but it's frustrating that my girlfriend has a PS3 which can play pretty much everything...except the Disney titles. We're kind of in a HD-DVD/Blu-ray trap where you still need two completely different kinds of accounts and equipment to be able to view content from all studios. Hopefully Disney/Apple will eventually give in and begrudging support UV for the sake of the rest of us.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Josh Steinberg said:
The biggest problem I'm having with the whole thing is that Disney/Apple aren't playing nicely with everyone else - so basically my UV library has stuff from every studio except Disney/Pixar/Marvel, and then my iTunes library has Disney/Pixar/Marvel and not much from anyone else. For my house it doesn't matter, since I watch the discs, but it's frustrating that my girlfriend has a PS3 which can play pretty much everything...except the Disney titles.
If you have a PS3, why not redeem your Disney DC+ codes and choose Vudu as your option? I do, and end up with my Disney/Pixar titles on DMA, iTunes and Vudu.
(I was going to give up on Vudu, and start choosing iTunes for my iPad, but then DMA came along and delivered them on iTunes anyway, so I choose Vudu for all three.)
Robert Crawford said:
Had anybody converted their discs to digital?
Since I don't have a Blu-ray drive in my computer, no. Got a free credit for one BD->HD upgrade, but still waiting for a PS3 app that I can put the disk into.

David Weicker

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David
There are a couple of benefits to going the ITunes/download way (instead of UV).One, the copy is on your storage, not the company's. That gives you better control over continuity of ownership. The company can't withdraw the title if you have a copy yourself. Yes, I know that their legalese states that they can't/won't, but that doesn't protect you if they go belly-up (or have smart lawyers).

Two, by having a copy on your own storage (instead of in the cloud), you can watch where there is no internet - whether that is while traveling, or some out-of-the-way spot. True, you will require a lot of hard-drive capacity where ever you store things, and you will have to plan ahead and pre-load (swap in and out) titles onto your portable device, but if you have a poor data plan, or no wifi, or just no service, you can still watch things.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Robert Crawford said:
Had anybody converted their discs to digital?
I converted some DVDs (no BD drive on the computer), and paid for an upgrade to HD on one… tried it through Flixster and Vudu, I found Vudu's software to be easier to navigate, but both were pretty simple.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Ejanss said:
If you have a PS3, why not redeem your Disney DC+ codes and choose Vudu as your option? I do, and end up with my Disney/Pixar titles on DMA, iTunes and Vudu.
(I was going to give up on Vudu, and start choosing iTunes for my iPad, but then DMA came along and delivered them on iTunes anyway, so I choose Vudu for all three.)
Next time I grab one of their titles, I'll give it a shot - thanks for the tip!

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
David Weicker said:
There are a couple of benefits to going the ITunes/download way (instead of UV).One, the copy is on your storage, not the company's. That gives you better control over continuity of ownership. The company can't withdraw the title if you have a copy yourself. Yes, I know that their legalese states that they can't/won't, but that doesn't protect you if they go belly-up (or have smart lawyers). Two, by having a copy on your own storage (instead of in the cloud), you can watch where there is no internet - whether that is while traveling, or some out-of-the-way spot. True, you will require a lot of hard-drive capacity where ever you store things, and you will have to plan ahead and pre-load (swap in and out) titles onto your portable device, but if you have a poor data plan, or no wifi, or just no service, you can still watch things.
All these services mentioned have the capability to download the movies to your device to watch offline. I redeem all my UV films thu Flixter, regardless of what website I'm told to use, and they are immediately available on all my UV apps like Flixter, Vudu, Cinema Now in 1080P. Simple. Also many Studios blu's come with BOTH UV and iTunes copies, Universal for instance, so it's very convenient. I love the ability to be able to watch these films virtually anywhere using my PS3, PS4, XBOX 1, xbox 360, iPod, iPhone, iPad, etc. Wonderful times were living in, aren't they? ;)

Joshua Clinard

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joshua Clinard
Yes, I have converted hundreds of DVD's using vudu's disc to digital service. To be able to convert a DVD to HDX for 1.00 is awesome. PM me if you want to know how to do this.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Joshua Clinard said:
Yes, I have converted hundreds of DVD's using vudu's disc to digital service. To be able to convert a DVD to HDX for 1.00 is awesome. PM me if you want to know how to do this.
I already did with 11 titles, but it took me about 20 discs to find 11 titles eligible for the disc to digital service.

P

Patrick Donahue

Ever since last summer I have been converting DVD's and now stand at 440 in my UV account. Remember that when you convert 10 or more, you get 50% off...

Stephen Brooks

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen Brooks
BTW, even though Frozen said it was a Disney Movies Anywhere/iTunes code, I entered the code into Vudu and it worked. I got the HDX copy on Vudu, however it does NOT show up in Ultraviolet like all my other Vudu movies.

DennisBassi

Second Unit
Real Name
Dennis
I choose iTunes whenever I can, because it appears to be the one system that will allow storage of the digital copies on my hard disk. I am willing to bet that Apple will not go out of business and my digital copies will be available no matter how my hardware changes or whether licensing issues change, meaning the downloaded copies will still play. In contrast, UV only lets you download to your portable device which has very limited space. If licensing changes I believe cloud storage will disappear on certain titles. There has already been an issue with certain Disney titles no longer being available for download, but if you have the title already downloaded, you keep it. DMA has complicated matters and at this point I am not entering my codes until things are straightened out, as I do not see my last two movies (since DMA) on all of my IOS devices. Bottom line: I am computer literate and doing digital copies for years -- it is indeed very, very complicated in my opinion.

P

Patrick Donahue

^ One thing to keep in mind though is that UV will enable you to download files this year when the CFF is released.I am a huge Apple fan, but when it came time to decide where my digital money was going it went to UV. It is true that Apple will probably not go out of business, but it is also true that studios yank titles from iTunes all the time, but that isn't so with UV. Before i switched to UV I had 32 purchased movies on my Apple TV. A check yesterday told me I now only have 27. All of those missing titles are still available to me in my UV account.Yes, I know you can go the download and play locally route, but it just seems to be an extra step (and more hardware) than is needed when I can stream my UV titles through Vudu just fine. Also, any physical movie you purchase will give you a UV code, not iTunes.Lastly, another big reason I went UV was the disc to digital feature. Because of the 50% off special Vudu has been running, I have been able to put 454 HD movies in my UV account since last July for about $1 ea. If I wanted to build that collection in iTunes I would have had to flat out purchase each one, which wasn't going to happen.The whole DMA thing doesn't bother me at all, either. As long as I at some point will be able to hook my current UV provider of choice (Vudu) up to my DMA account, then my Disney movies will sit alongside my UV movies as if they were all the same "format." Disney themselves has already said that day is coming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks