What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (2 Viewers)

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
Gary OS said:
Good to hear Shout plans to continue releasing older material in 2012. I'd still personally prefer to see 50's and 60's stuff, instead of 70's material, but I'm happy for those that are looking forward to these upcoming releases.

Gary "still awaiting an official, official release date for Hazel S2" O.
I agree with you but unfortunately there's probably a lot more of a market for those cheesy Aaron Spelling 70s cop shows (Rookies, SWAT), then there is for the older shows that Sony owns. I personally would much rather see them put out those great short-run Screen Gems sitcoms like Occasional Wife, Love on a Rooftop, Bridget Loves Bernie, Second Hundred Years, Good Life and Temperature Rising. Or even Farmer's Daughter, Empire and Tightrope. But most likely new transfers would have to be done for most of those while the 70s color series probably have existing tape elements. Lastly, if they are going after 70s Sony shows, first on my list would have to be Family, the best show Spelling ever did, IMO.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Neil Brock said:
Lastly, if they are going after 70s Sony shows, first on my list would have to be Family, the best show Spelling ever did, IMO.
Unfortunately, Family is an intelligently-written show, and as you've said time and time again, those kinds of shows, more often than not, tend to do the worse in terms of DVD sales.
Such is the case with Room 222 and The Paper Chase, both of which are stalled at season 2. But now that I think about, I think there's another reason both shows are stuck at season 2. Fox owns those shows, and whoever is currently in charge of Fox's home entertainment division or their TV division or whatever most likely didn't know about the existence of those two shows until now. Room 222 was last seen on TVland in the mid-90s, and The Paper Chase was last seen a decade ago on GoodLife Television. And it is my understanding that Fox is charging Shout an outrageous wad of cash just for more episodes of those two shows.
It's really sad this had to end up this way. This was the last thing I expected. I hate Fox so much, I wish karma would come back to bite them for all the hell they put Shout through, and any other indie they've dealt with. They can't honestly keep up this stupid game of playing hardball forever.
The worst thing about it is that most of the Fox shows that Shout has released so far are near completion (especially The Paper Chase and Rhoda).

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3852353
I agree with you but unfortunately there's probably a lot more of a market for those cheesy Aaron Spelling 70s cop shows (Rookies, SWAT), then there is for the older shows that Sony owns.

There's no doubt that's true, Neil. I'm keenly aware of the fact that I'm in the minority when it comes to the DVD buying public. I know more people are going to be interested in those 70's series than those that want anything that's - gasp - in B/W (or early color). When I bemoan the lack of material that I'd like to see, I'm not one of those numbskulls that thinks the studios are missing it because there's tons of people waiting to buy the older material. I know that's not the case. But that doesn't make me feel any better about the situation. I could quip about the tastes of people who want stuff I think is garbage, but we've all been down that road before and there's no use doing it. One man's trash is another man's treasure. It is what it is.

Having said all that, I am grateful for what Shout has given me over the years, including this year. They've released some of my all-time favorite series (LITB, FKB, Dennis, and the upcoming Hazel release) over the last 12 months, so I'm really not complaining. Just sighing a bit.

Gary "this latest news about which decade Shout will be tapping is why I think more of my money will go to Timeless from this point forward" O.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
When it comes to Fox, I hate them more for stalling out "Burke's Law" with VCI. That this show has to stay at the precipice of being one season out, one season not released just like SWAT has been for a decade infuriates me more than anything else in the TV on DVD landscape. (It makes me glad "Honey West" was a one season only show or that would be stalled too!)
Where Shout! IMO has more to answer for is the "Ironside" situation where we have a clear case of the company giving out misleading information over a long period regarding the future of that title. The quick abandonment of "Marcus Welby MD" without giving that title at least one crack through Shout Select also has me befuddled because the purpose of Select was supposed to be a place for titles doing less than spectacular at retail to in effect get another shot. Had Welby gotten one season at Select and THEN gone on the stalled list, I'd understand their thinking but at the moment I'm inclined to view them in a more negative light on that.
I also don't see why we had to wait what now looks like sixteen months for S6 of "Adam-12" when it would have been all too easy to just finish that title off this year and give us ALL of the Webb classics finished by year's end. I'm glad "Dragnet" was fast-tracked out, but honestly, the rest of what Shout! has done this year has IMO been a tad less than I would have liked to see (though I am very much looking forward to S2 of "Kojak" next week at long last).

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Couple of TV show suggestions for release by Shout! Factory:

The D.A. (1971-72) - starring Robert Conrad
The Psychiatrist (1970-71) - starring Roy Thinnes.

Neil Brock

Senior HTF Member
WaveCrest said:
Couple of TV show suggestions for release by Shout! Factory:

The D.A. (1971-72) - starring Robert Conrad
The Psychiatrist (1970-71) - starring Roy Thinnes.
I would have been happy if Shout got the Adam-12/D.A. crossover to include in their Adam-12 release.

kingfish

Screenwriter
Real Name
Paul Pisano
good news indeed. i hope that shout acquires the rights to the final season of black sheep squadron.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by kingfish /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3855249
good news indeed. i hope that shout acquires the rights to the final season of black sheep squadron.
Ditto. I'm hoping for that one too. Since it's a Uni property, there's a chance we'll see that one at some point.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
I wish SHOUT would release Season 2 of HERE COME THE BRIDES. I know it's airing on Antenna TV right now and I'm doing my best to get copies, but I would much prefer an official release to complete the series properly.

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
Professor Echo said:
I wish SHOUT would release Season 2 of HERE COME THE BRIDES. I know it's airing on Antenna TV right now and I'm doing my best to get copies, but I would much prefer an official release to complete the series properly.
I agree.
I've recently discovered this show on Antenna TV and find it very entertaining. I had never seen an episode before it aired earlier this year. I had only heard about it since it was where Bobby Sherman started as a teen idol.
If season 2 was released, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by Neil Brock /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3854980
I would have been happy if Shout got the Adam-12/D.A. crossover to include in their Adam-12 release.
This is partly the reason whay I suggested The D.A., as I do like crossovers and I'm glad that I found out about Adam-12.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3855265
I'd like to see that as well, Glen. Any time a series can be completed, it's a good thing. And this would certainly be a good thing.

Gary "an official release is always to be preferred to recording off TV" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Release dates for some of Shout! Factory's TV on DVD titles in January (source: Amazon.com):

January 2012:

Adam-12: Season Six - Tuesday 10th January
Dennis the Menace: Season Four - Tuesday 10th January
Kojak: The Complete Movies Collection - Tuesday 24th January.

cliff mac

Insider
phenri said:
I agree.
I've recently discovered this show on Antenna TV and find it very entertaining. I had never seen an episode before it aired earlier this year. I had only heard about it since it was where Bobby Sherman started as a teen idol.
If season 2 was released, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Coming in 2012!

phenri

Second Unit
Real Name
Paul
That's great news, Cliff!
Thanks for the good word and I will be looking for it along with S.W.A.T. Season 2 next year.

Professor Echo

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Glen
Wow, great news about HCTB Season 2! That's one I've been waiting for for a long time and will be happy to finally see the rest of the series. Thanks for the update, Cliff!

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Based on what I've seen so far (testing out discs, skipping through the chapters), Police Story: Season One looks very good on DVD (a better looking picture than Adam-12's). Quite like the menu screens on Adam-12: Season Two.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by Professor Echo /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3859375
Wow, great news about HCTB Season 2! That's one I've been waiting for for a long time and will be happy to finally see the rest of the series. Thanks for the update, Cliff!
Ditto, Glen! This is great news!!

Gary "Shout continues to impress me with their ability to rescue many different shows" O.

ChrisALM

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Chris
I had not heard anything previously about a release for HCTB S2. This is great news. Thank you, Cliff.

Randy Korstick

Senior HTF Member
Cliff
Any chance of Shout resqueing: Beverly Hillbillies, Petticoat Junction, My Three Sons and Green Acres?
Any of those would make my day

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks