What's new

Shout! Factory TV Shows Thread (1 Viewer)

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
I've never been one to say Shout (or any studio) hasn't blown it from time to time. They all have, including WBA according to reviews for their Falcon Crest release (as one example). At the end of the day, as far as you and I are concerned, I don't think there's any doubt that both our views are skewed by what each company have released. Several of my holy grails have been released by Shout, while WBA has done the same for you. And on the reverse side I've seen nothing that really excites me from WBA, other than their Christmas release last year and even then they inexplicably passed over the most logical choice for a Dr. Kildare holiday episode. So I've got some real issues with them in terms of potential censorship. I can't prove it, but until they release that episode I'll always believe whoever made that decision to exclude the 1st Season Kildare episode did so out of bias. But regardless, we are butting heads on this issue, primarily, because of what each company has or hasn't released.

Gary "the pros far outweigh the cons, in my book, when talking about Shout Factory" O.

Jeff Willis

Senior HTF Member
Well said, Gary. Just my take but some seem to feel that Shout makes more mistakes than some of the other studios. They've all made mistakes from what I've seen in this hobby.

As Matt said earlier, without Shout, I'd have missed out on a few of my grail shows. So far, I can't make that statement about WBA. Perhaps that will change in the future though.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
I take back my earlier criticism about Shout!
For me, the only unfortunate thing I can say about them, is that they can't make their relationship with the hands down most notorious Home Video distributor of all time, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment seem to work. But to be fair, they're not the only ones. Fox has played hardball with just about every third party they've dealt with. It is my considered opinion that if Fox keeps up this weird behavior, their home video division is not gonna be around much longer. Their older shows don't make money by sitting in the vaults. Somehow, they don't seem to understand that they can't expect all of their shows, regardless of how successful they are on DVD, to have the same sales numbers as Seinfeld and Friends.

MattHR

Screenwriter
Gary OS said:
I've never been one to say Shout (or any studio) hasn't blown it from time to time. They all have, including WBA according to reviews for their Falcon Crest release (as one example).
I was able to see some of WBA's Falcon Crest from a friend's set, and the transfers are every bit as bad as I had heard. Maybe WB listened to the complaints, which is why their recent Archive releases of Man From Atlantis and Medical Center were remastered from film elements (rather than using existing/outdated video masters). Since the WBA releases are premium-priced compared to standard retail ones, perhaps they're now investing more in the mastering process. I'd be willing to pay a bit more knowing the transfers are going to be new. With all the cost-cutting (more-eps-per-disc; skimpy packaging) in the industry these days to satisfy retailers' demands and cost-conscious consumers, there's no way most of these shows would make it as standard retail releases in the $30-or-less range—especially if they have incurred high remastering costs. That and the likelihood that Best Buy/Walmart/Target would not support them at the retail level. Assuming that MOD discs are truly reliable in the long run, I'm hoping more studios start releasing their older/obscure/cult/short-lived shows via MOD.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary OS said:
I've never been one to say Shout (or any studio) hasn't blown it from time to time. They all have, including WBA according to reviews for their Falcon Crest release (as one example). At the end of the day, as far as you and I are concerned, I don't think there's any doubt that both our views are skewed by what each company have released. Several of my holy grails have been released by Shout, while WBA has done the same for you. And on the reverse side I've seen nothing that really excites me from WBA, other than their Christmas release last year and even then they inexplicably passed over the most logical choice for a Dr. Kildare holiday episode. So I've got some real issues with them in terms of potential censorship. I can't prove it, but until they release that episode I'll always believe whoever made that decision to exclude the 1st Season Kildare episode did so out of bias. But regardless, we are butting heads on this issue, primarily, because of what each company has or hasn't released.

Gary "the pros far outweigh the cons, in my book, when talking about Shout Factory" O.
Yes, I looked at the IMDB episode list, and although it lacked synopses, the title of the first season Kildare Christmas episode "Season to be Jolly" was the most Christmasy. What happens in that episode?

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread#post_3843464
Yes, I looked at the IMDB episode list, and although it lacked synopses, the title of the first season Kildare Christmas episode "Season to be Jolly" was the most Christmasy. What happens in that episode?
Ray, the episode is one of the most profoundly spiritual episodes I've ever seen on network TV. Using one synopsis I found online, and adding a bit to it, here's the gist of the episode in a spoiler wrap for those who haven't seen it and might not want to be spoiled as to a key revelation made midway through the episode:

"A drunken sidewalk Santa (played superbly by Dan O'Herlihy) is brought into the hospital with serious health issues.

It turns out he is a wayward clergyman who is lost in despair after the untimely death of his daughter.

There's also a newspaper photographer looking for a nice Christmas baby story for his paper, as well as an ongoing story about when Dr. Gillespie will leave the hospital to catch a flight to Oregon for Christmas with his sister."

It's a great Christmas episode (one of my all-time favorites) and I really believe Warners skipped it because it was so overtly religious in its tone. The final 10 or so minutes of the episode show the nurses walking through the hallways, holding candles, as they sing Christmas Carols like "Silent Night", "Joy to the World" and other religious Christmas songs (no secular ones like "Here Comes Santa Claus" or "Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas" are heard - only religious ones). At another point a small group of children are caroling and bringing small manger scenes to hospital rooms and are also singing religious Christmas songs. Again, its one of the most overtly religious episodes I've ever seen portrayed on network TV and I find it fascinating and very well done. Anyhow, that's why I'm sure it was passed over for the more humdrum 4th Season Kildare episode.

Gary "don't expect the company to ever admit to that, but I'm confident censoring of some measure went on with that one" O.

JoeDoakes

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ray
Gary, it does sound like a very good episode. That's too bad they left it off. Are there enough unreleased Warner Christmas episodes for another volume this year (or next)? Perhaps we could get them to include it there.

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeDoakes /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread#post_3843679
Gary, it does sound like a very good episode. That's too bad they left it off. Are there enough unreleased Warner Christmas episodes for another volume this year (or next)? Perhaps we could get them to include it there.
I'm sure there are enough Warner shows with Christmas episodes so that a second Christmas volume could be released this year. I've thought about trying to contact them myself with that very suggestion. I know 77 Sunset Strip has one, as did The F.B.I. And Alice had several holiday eps, so they could include another one or two from that show if they had to. I'm sure there are plenty of others.

Gary "at this point that Kildare episode is about as high on my Holy Grail list as anything - I've got a beat up, cut copy off TV but it's not the same as having a cleaned up, complete copy" O.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Release dates for Shout! Factory TV on DVD titles coming soon (source: Amazon.com):

December:

Designing Women: Season Five - Tuesday 6th December
Mystery Science Theater 3000: Volume XXII - Tuesday 6th December
Spin City: Season Six - Tuesday 13th December
Transformers Prime: Darkness Rising - Tuesday 6th December

January 2012:

Adam-12: Season Six.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Cliff, how many episodes of Police Story do Shout have the rights to? My question focuses on the three specials which aired between 1978 and 1987, and the five episodes which aired on ABC in 1988.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Would like to add another vote to the suggestion made by a few HTF members in the TV on DVD folder, for another 70's cop show to be released by Shout: Delvecchio (1976-77).

cliff mac

Insider
WaveCrest said:
Cliff, how many episodes of Police Story do Shout have the rights to? My question focuses on the three specials which aired between 1978 and 1987, and the five episodes which aired on ABC in 1988.
Just season one, if sales are good, you'll see more seasons.
ADAM 12 Season 6 will be out in January.
And for some more news.... coming in 2012... Police Woman S2, The Rookies S2 and S.W.A.T. S2

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I have to admit, I am not a big fan of the 70s Sony cop shows (my lukewarm reaction to "Police Story" as I watch it is reminding me also why I like the Universal style better for a 70s cop show), but I'm happy for fans of these long-abandoned titles that there will be some momentum at last. "S.W.A.T" in particular, if it is released next year will set the dubious distinction of some TEN YEARS in-between releases just to finish a two-season title.
I hope Shout! is also mindful of the fact that "Rookies" S1 was lacking its pilot movie with Darren McGavin and should be included in a S2 release.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
As long as the Sony gift bag seems to be opening, any chance of Hart to Hart, Benson, or Archie Bunker's Place coming up? Or in the longshot column, It's Your Move or The Powers That Be?

Guy Foulard

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
cliff mac said:
And for some more news.... coming in 2012... Police Woman S2, The Rookies S2 and S.W.A.T. S2
Wow! This is excellent news! Shout is rescuing all the Universal and Columbia/Sony cop shows from oblivion.
I'm really digging Police Story, so I hope it does well enough for there to be a season 2 release.

WaveCrest

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Originally Posted by cliff mac /t/308539/shout-factory-tv-shows-thread/30#post_3851367
I'm keeping my fingers (and everything else crossed) the sales are good for more DVD season sets of Police Story.

Great to see Adam-12: Season Six happening.

[SIZE= 18px]Woo-ooh![/SIZE] More interested in The Rookies and S.W.A.T. than Police Woman, but glad to see them all being continued by Shout. Had been considering getting the first season of The Rookies and S.W.A.T. on DVD.

I assume/realise it's early days yet, but I'm hoping the pilot movies of The Rookies and S.W.A.T. can be/are included as an extra in their Season 2 sets.

TVonDVDJunkie05

Second Unit
Real Name
Nick

Interesting pick ups, especially S.W.A.T. which only has one season left unreleased. I wouldn't think there would be a lot of money to be made with a 'one and done' title but since Shout! appears to be taking the plunge and releasing this then how about releasing a couple of other series that have one season left as well- Charlie's Angels & The Flying Nun?!

Gary OS

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gary
Good to hear Shout plans to continue releasing older material in 2012. I'd still personally prefer to see 50's and 60's stuff, instead of 70's material, but I'm happy for those that are looking forward to these upcoming releases.

Gary "still awaiting an official, official release date for Hazel S2" O.

Kasey

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Kasey
Can't wait for "Police Woman" especially the episode where Donna Mills kidnaps a baby. And add me to the list for S5 of "Charlie's Angels".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks