What's new

Shout Factory Press Release: Route 66: The Complete Series (1 Viewer)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Nice color photo, purportedly taken by Martin Milner himself, of the production company in Lexington, Mass. area during filming of the second season episode "To Walk With The Serpent" (Jan. 5, 1962). The Minuteman monument at Concord.

George Maharis visible leaning on the black Caddy. Might be Simon Oakland talking to red head DeAnn Mears. Possibly Dan O'Herlihy in conversation with the motorcycle cop. Frank Sutton and Joseph Campanella were also in this episode. They also filmed scenes at Bunker Hill and Old Ironsides (USS Constitution) for this episode featuring many Revolutionary War sites.
39920044_10212560824681880_2760991147521212416_n.jpg

Tony Bensley

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Anthony
Nice color photo, purportedly taken by Martin Milner himself, of the production company in Lexington, Mass. area during filming of the second season episode "To Walk With The Serpent" (Jan. 5, 1962). The Minuteman monument at Concord.

George Maharis visible leaning on the black Caddy. Might be Simon Oakland talking to red head DeAnn Mears. Possibly Dan O'Herlihy in conversation with the motorcycle cop. Frank Sutton and Joseph Campanella were also in this episode. They also filmed scenes at Bunker Hill and Old Ironsides (USS Constitution) for this episode featuring many Revolutionary War sites.
39920044_10212560824681880_2760991147521212416_n.jpg
Excellent photo, but it occurs to me that Lexington, Massachusetts isn't/wasn't on Route 66! Nitpicking, I know. :D

CHEERS! :)

Flashgear

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Randall
Jorge, you may be correct on that, but only using the strictest criteria of locations directly on old Route 66. Those would be Chicago (3 eps., season three's "Man Out of Time", "The Voice at the End of the Line", "Lizard's Leg and Owlet's Wing"), St. Louis and immediate area (2 eps., season three's "Hey Moth, Come Eat the Flame", "Where is Chuck Lorimer?"). Los Angeles (many episodes in season 1 to 3) and Needles, CA (1 ep., "The Strengthening Angels", the first episode to air that was actually filmed on Route 66).

And only 3 locations if you just go by Bobby Troup's famous song, ha, ha.

But if you apply a criteria of those locations directly on old Route 66, and those within reasonable proximity to Route 66, I come up with these numbers...

Season one...17 episodes out of 30.
Season two...17 / 32.
Season three... 10 / 31.
Season four...0 / 22.

As an example of the subjective criteria I used, I consider those episodes filmed within a reasonable proximity to Amarillo, Texas (which is on old Route 66), to include the multiple episodes filmed in the Dallas / Fort Worth area.

Newspaper ad from KLRD TV Dallas CBS welcoming the crew for season two's filming of "Aren't You Surprised to See Me?", "Kiss the Maiden, All Forlorn", "Even Stones Have Eyes" and "Love is a Skinny Kid"...
krld-tv-full-page-ad-11-30.jpg

Local newspaper, 1962, from the show's filming at Apache Junction, AZ...season three's "Shall Forfeit his dog and Ten Shillings to the King"...
route-66-co-filming-superstiti.jpg

The kind of scenery they were looking for at Apache Junction...sunset on the Superstition Mountains...
Apache-Junction.jpg

On set at Squaw Valley, CA...season one's "Effigy in Snow"...
11-media-life-route-66.jpg

TV Guide, July 22, 1961...season one's "Trap at Cordova"...
pages-12-13.jpg

The town that Martin Milner forgets, but refers to below as their filming location on election night 1960 was Carlsbad Caverns, New Mexico, while filming "A Fury Slinging Flame" with Leslie Nielsen...of course the Presidential election returns in the extremely close race didn't come in till the next morning when Nixon finally conceded to JFK...

page-16.jpg

Last edited:

jperez

Second Unit
Real Name
jorge perez
I'm sure you're right. I just wrote what I remember having read several times about the show, that most of the places visited were not really on Route 66, even going as far north as Canada ans south as Florida (and almost Cuba, in the jai alai episode).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks