What's new

Should I get Shawshank Redemption? (1 Viewer)

Joe Woj

Agent
Should I get the current Shawshank Redemption disc that's out there, or should I wait for a special edition someday? Is one even planned? I've heard the transfer on the current disc is sub par. How do you guys like it?

Louis C

Supporting Actor
I thought the transfer was great. By the way I think it is almost criminal they haven't already done an SE for this film.

Isn't one being planned?

Brian E

Screenwriter
I thought the transfer got good reviews, didn't it? I'm sure many are dissapointed by the lack of extras though. The current disc is a bargain at $15 or whatever it sells for IMO.

Paul E. Fox II

Second Unit
This is one of the Best AND Most Often Watched DVDs in my entire collection.

I remember Braveheart beating it for Best Picture and I thought that was the way it should have been. THEN, I bought and watched The Shawshank Redemption. I have since been very much on the fence in this regard. I really love both movies but now I'm starting to think Shawshank was robbed.

So, my answer to your question is a very definitive YES.

You could always give you old one to a family member or friend if a Special Edition hits the street.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I haven't heard anything about a special edition, so you might as well pick it up since it is only about $14.99, as Brian said.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I remember Braveheart beating it for Best Picture and I thought that was the way it should have been. THEN, I bought and watched The Shawshank Redemption. I have since been very much on the fence in this regard. I really love both movies but now I'm starting to think Shawshank was robbed.
I think The Shawshank Redemption lost to Forrest Gump in 1995, and Braveheart won the following year. In my opinion Shawshank is definitely better than Gump, but Pulp Fiction should have won.

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Supposedly Frank Darabont is not a big fan of special features on DVD, so you might as well pick up the current version. The transfer and sound is excellent, and in the end, that's all that matters.

EDIT- What the heck is a "digipack?"

Josh Simpson

Supporting Actor
I look at it this way. At one time I would've watited for a special edition... but I say pick it up. At least this movie is avaliable in a non SE to watch, unlike some of my other favorites.

Rob Tomlin

Senior HTF Member
The current transfer is pretty darn good. But the disc is bare bones. Im not a huge fan of extras anyway, so I don't think you can go wrong if you pick up the current release.
Great film too! :emoji_thumbsup:

Lee_eel

Second Unit
I own the uk version of Shawshank and the transfer is awful. In many of the scenes the compression artefacts are very noticeable and this just gives the transfer a rough, murky look. I presume the US version is a different pressing because there is no way i would describe the picture as good or even fair! The extras are poor as well.
This film needs a special edition along with a remastered picture.

Tom Oh

Second Unit
2-disc set is coming from WB in 2003. I don't have details on the extras but based on WB's handling of 2-disc special editions, it should be great.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks