What's new

UHD Review Shaft (1971) – Criterion UHD Blu-ray Review (1 Viewer)

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
For his follow-up to his directorial debut The Learning Tree (1969), Gordon Parks went from his home state of Kansas to the mean streets of New York City. There he brought to life an Ernest Tidyman novel that would also give birth to a new genre that would become popular in the early 1970’s; the novel and movie based thereon would forever be known as Shaft. Originally released in theaters by MGM and on home video by Warner Bros. (the current rights holder), Criterion has licensed the film for inclusion in its collection and for its UHD Blu-ray debut.

Shaft (1971)

Released: 02 Jul 1971
Rated: R
Runtime: 100 min

Director: Gordon Parks
Genre: Action, Crime, Thriller

Cast: Richard Roundtree, Moses Gunn, Charles Cioffi
Writer(s): Ernest Tidyman, John...

Continue reading...

Last edited:

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
And you're still not 100% correct. He played Shaft seven more times on TV in the 1973-74 series that was part of CBS' attempt to mimic NBC's Mystery Movie wheel. WA released it on DVD some years back.

1656480756164.png

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
And you're still not 100% correct. He played Shaft seven more times on TV in the 1973-74 series that was part of CBS' attempt to mimic NBC's Mystery Movie wheel. WA released it on DVD some years back.

View attachment 143127

I've updated my review to include this; I didn't know about the Shaft TV movies prior to you telling me.

cadavra

Supporting Actor
Real Name
mike schlesinger
I'd never heard of these either, which gives me a guess as to how good they are.

Given the censorship limitations of broadcast TV in that era, they're rather tame but actually quite good, with plenty of quality guest stars, such as Tony Curtis, Robert Culp, Dean Jagger, Howard Duff, Richard Jaeckel, Clu Gulager, Arthur O'Connell, George Maharis, Michael Ansara, etc.

Sega

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
I picked it up from Amazon. Watched it last night.
In 4K it's great. I just wish all three movies were with it. In 4K. The other two discs with this set. Are B/R.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks