What's new

t1g3r5fan

Reviewer
Real Name
Mychal Bowden
Murphy’s War. Getting his start in the film industry dubbing foreign films and editing documentaries, Peter Yates soon rose to become an assistant director before making his directorial debut with the Cliff Richard vehicle Summer Holiday (1963). However, it was the critical success of Robbery (1967) that brought Yates to the US for his breakthrough and iconic film Bullitt (1968); following that film with the low-key drama/comedy John and Mary (1969), Yates would reteam with producer Michael Deeley on a film adaptation of the Max Catto novel Murphy’s War. Previously released on Region B Blu-ray by Indicator, Arrow Video has licensed the movie from Paramount for its US Blu-ray debut.

Murphy's War (1971)

Released: 15 Jan 1971
Rated: GP
Runtime: 107 min

Director: Peter Yates
Genre: Drama, War

Cast: Peter O'Toole, Siân Phillips, Philippe Noiret...

Continue reading...

Last edited by a moderator:

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
I enjoy war films so I blind bought a copy. Arrow never disappoints in the presentation dept. so looking forward to spinning this disc one lazy Saturday afternoon.

borisfw

Screenwriter
Real Name
Frank
Excellent review. An underrated film with a very good performance from Peter O'Toole. Sounds like a definite upgrade from my old dvd.

Wayne Klein

Second Unit
I love this film. O’Toole is perfect in the lead role. Glad to see that Arrow has included some terrific extra. Disappointed they didn’t carry over the Indicator doc on Douglas.

Robin9

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robin
I love this film. O’Toole is perfect in the lead role. Glad to see that Arrow has included some terrific extra. Disappointed they didn’t carry over the Indicator doc on Douglas.
Yes. Normally I don't value "extras" very highly but I'm a great fan of Douglas Slocombe and I'm glad I have the Indictor disc.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
I enjoy war films so I blind bought a copy. Arrow never disappoints in the presentation dept. so looking forward to spinning this disc one lazy Saturday afternoon.
Although set at the end of WWII I've never really thought of it as a war film, even though it's often described as such. More of an adventurous revenge film, with elements of Captain Ahab.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Although set at the end of WWII I've never really thought of it as a war film, even though it's often described as such. More of an adventurous revenge film, with elements of Captain Ahab.

Then it's more of a mashup of two of my favorite genres, which is even better! I'd never heard of the film until Arrow announced it, and even then I paid very little attention to the announcement and didn't really care until people started commenting on it. Now I can't wait to check this out.

Douglas R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
Then it's more of a mashup of two of my favorite genres, which is even better! I'd never heard of the film until Arrow announced it, and even then I paid very little attention to the announcement and didn't really care until people started commenting on it. Now I can't wait to check this out.
I saw it when it was first released and thought it was excellent and outside of the normal run of the mill but it had little fanfare and then seemed to disappear. Peter O'Toole was great as always.

roxy1927

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
vincent parisi
It was so long ago I don't remember much about this film but I enjoyed it. I pretty much went only because it was at Radio City and I loved seeing films there. On the stage was a great production number of Rhapsody in Blue. This film was the only time I heard f-ck in a film at the Hall during its stage show movie era.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks