What's new

Setting up a home theater questions... (1 Viewer)

jvermut

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
I am in the process of upgrading a home theater and could use some help.
In order of priority, my goals are:

1) Simplicity - I am looking to create a low-maintenance system that I can control entirely using my Ipad as a remote over my wifi network. Equipment will all be pretty hidden so I don't want to have to adjust settings/wires and no remotes.
2) Excellent sound and video for 50/50 music/movies

My current setup:
Room:
20'x20'

Inputs:
Mac Mini - Currently used to stream netflix, surf the net, create word docs
Verizon Fios - Cable television/Dvr/fiber optic internet

Receiver:
An older Sony Str-dg720

Output:
Garbage speakers :)
Epson moviemate projector

All of my connections are via HDMI.

I would like to upgrade:

Speakers: (budget $2000ish)
I tested and liked a pair of Bowers and Wilkins CM1s. (Not really into extra base of CM5).
I would like bookshelf/discreet speakers.
I don't want a 5.1 system (dont like having a center and a base)
I would consider a 4.0 system if that would sound good, but I don't want to lose anything from recordings. If center's sound can be distributed to fronts, then 4.0 is ok.

Receiver: (budget $1000)
I like that Denon and Marantz can be controlled using an Ipad App.
I've read that they go well with the CM1s.
I would like to have either Airplay or Apple Tv to stream music from my Ipad to my speakers.

Projector: (budget $1,500)
I heard good reviews about Epson Powerlite 8350.

Questions:
1) Any suggested improvements on Speakers?
2) Any good, Ipad controllable, reciever recommendations for my setup?
3) Any particular Denon/Marantz model?
4) Should I go with stereo 2.0 or 4.0? If 2.0, what receiver/amp?
5) Should I even upgrade my receiver or will my old Sony Str-dg720 be able to drive the speakers as well as newer recievers?
6) I like Audyssey's ability to calibrate/equalize sound. Do other receivers do this as well without audyssey, i.e. yamaha/pioneer?
7) Any other projector recommendations?
8) Any other major improvements that you would suggest?

Feel free to answer any of these questions...

Thanks.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
You shopped Best Buy, it shows.Yamaha and Denon/Marantz all have complete Apple support. Onkyo's remotes from the box run Apple TV.Every receiver at $1000 is going to do everything you want. But...1. The CM1 is fine. So is everything else that costs $600/pair.2. All network AVR.3. Any Denon/Marantz with networking.4. Your choice. Have no idea why you don't like a center speaker though.5. Any receiver ever made runs any speakers ever made, or will ever be made, over 6ohm.6. Aud is in NAD, Onkyo/Integra and Denon/Marantz. Everybody else has their own.7. Anything DLP ahead of a LCD projector. 8. How much money you want to spend?

jvermut

Auditioning
Real Name
Jonathan
First, I didn't shop at best buy. I browsed at best buy. ;)Second, I went to 4 specialty audio shops and they all only carried bowers and wilkins in my price range. Kind of a monopoly. One had the wharfdale 10.1s which were awesome for $350, but not as good as the CM1s. 5. Isn't there a noticeable difference in sound between different receivers?

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I have golden ears. I can immediately tell the difference between CD and MP3. Even when both are set to the same exact volume between.Can I tell a Yamaha vs a Sony(of comparable spec...ie, power supply, discrete...)...No.To get real differences in sound, it takes different amp styles. Class A, AB, D and tube(there are others).Pioneer has jumped on the class D train. Can you tell a difference between a Pioneer and a class AB Onkyo?Between AVR amp styles, Pioneer and Onkyo sit at the ends. Everything else resides in the middle.Now if you want to talk NAD or Anthem, sure. Both can be had around $1000 as well.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Jonathan :)

I dont have golden ears but I can certainly tell the difference between AVRs from different manufactures. My favorites are Marantz and Yamaha.

As for projectors I would take DLP over LCD. DLP will be move limited in placement but its worth the better pq.

$2k for a pair of speakers should get you some nice bookshelf speakers. The CM1 is a damn fine option. I would also consider PSB and Paradigm.

Al.Anderson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Al
2.0 or 4.0 for music is fine. (I love all-channel stereo.)

But since the system will be used for 50% movies I think you're making a big mistake not going with a sub, center and surrounds (rears I can live without). If you are worried the sub will get in the way of decent music reproduction, don't be; a good sub will only enhance the audio, especially with bookshelf speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks