What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Most are finding it slower.
I just got the warning and have switched over one of my machines.
The other one will be coming in shortly. It is 80% done on a work unit, so that unit will be sent in tonight. After that, adios ver. 3.0!
Mike

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
Whats going on around here?!?! Its been too quiet! No updates concerning the HTF-SETI Team?
I am preparing to "upgrade" my computers this weekend. Looks like I won't be crunching quite as many units per day. Oh well, all for science!

Chris White

Second Unit
You are right about that Dennis. There hasn't been activity on this thread lately. We're very slowly catching up to a couple of teams ahead of us in the All Teams list (#145 Purdue University and #144 UFO). Over the past week or so, I notice that the "you must upgrade to 3.03" message from Seti has become somewhat more insistent. I finally found time to update most of my slaves earlier this week so I expect to see my production rate falling soon.
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
How long does it take to complete a unit for you people?
I just completed the first unit on my AMD 266 Mhz PC, and it took 191 hours!! Is it just because my PC is so slow, or is there a way to speed up the Seti program?
Because I just started running it on my 1 GHz Pentium 3 that I use for work, and it seems to run at least 10 times faster there (actually, looking now, it seems to run about 23 times faster, completeing a unit in about 8 hours if it keeps this speed up). Is it just the processor difference, or could it be something else?
For example, could I disable the graphics to make it faster or something.
Another question, I am currently logged in and processing data on two computers, on the same account, at the same time. Will this cause problems?
Thanks.
/Mike

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Mike, I have an AMD processor in my home machine, and although it seems fast in every other way, it processes SETI units so slowly that it’s way out of proportion to its relative clock speed. For this reason, I have come to believe that the floating-point calculator on the AMD processor is severely lacking when compared to the Pentium. And while this doesn’t impact my everyday computer activities in any noticeable way, it does make it look like it’s playing dead when processing SETI units.

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Made it back to #4! Whew!... Only it will be short
lived. The semester is starting and the computer lab
is being taken over by students again. Thus, a great
slowdown doth approach.
--Joe

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Brian, thanks for your reply. I guess there's nothing I can do about it then.
As for my other question, does anyone know if there's a problem with running two machines on the same account simultaneously?
/Mike
------------------

Jeff R.

Stunt Coordinator
MikeS,
The only way to get near the top in the rankings is to have multiple computers running on the same account. I have had as many as 8 PIII 700+ running at the same time. I am currently down to 2 for now but I'm working on setting up a third.

Andrew Pratt

Senior HTF Member
Mike turn off the graphical display after a few minutes since it it MUCH slower when it has to also show the GUI. Even your 266 should crank through WU's in under 20 hours with version 3.03
*Cool I flipped the STEI thread...just like ol times :)
------------------
The Pratt Home Theater

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Andrew, thanks, I didn't find anywhere in the application settings to turn off the display... but I just looked at the SCREENSAVER settings, and lo and behold... I hope it'll run faster now.
/Mike
------------------

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Mike,
An even better idea is to get the text version of it. It says NT, but it will run under Win9X. That also helps speed it up.
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

Jeff Blair

Second Unit
Is it just me, or is the Berkeley site down? It looks like it went down sometime during the night, as SETIQ sent in my results.
------------------
Jeff Blair
It's not just a hobby, it's an obsession!
My DVD's

MickeS

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, it's not just you. I can't send in my results either.
And thanks again for telling me to shut down the display, it runs MUCH, MUCH faster now...
I might check out the text version too, thanks for telling me about that.
/Mike

Chris White

Second Unit
The unit server is still down but the main website is back "on the air" so hopefully they will be back soon. I've noticed the All Seti Teams report page has been offline for over a week. Nevertheless, the two teams immediately ahead of us were Purdue University and UFO. I say, "were ahead," because we have now passed UFO. So,,,,,,
Ranking Update!
All Seti Teams #145
Look out Boilermakers! You're going down next! (Seti trash talk.)
------------------

Chris White

Second Unit
Now I know why the Seti unit server was offline earlier this week. As of today, Seti will no longer accept units analyzed with version 3.0. I had not updated my computer at home and so, unfortunately, I had to delete 6 completed units tonight. Rats! Oh well, all my slaves are online with 3.03 now.
------------------

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks