What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Jay Heyl

Stunt Coordinator
What the heck happened? On Monday we in 154th place on the groups list. I just checked (on Friday) and we're in 192nd place. At first I thought we must have lost a bunch of units, but we didn't. Monday we had 316,642, today we have 317,839. I can't believe forty new groups with more than 320,000 units formed just this week.

We need to start cranking out more units. If we fall off the bottom of the Top 200 list I'm going to lose interest.

Wait... I just noticed we're in the list twice. And so are a bunch of other groups. Looks like some sort of glitch in the stats generator. I guess the sky isn't really falling. Let's crank more units anyway!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Something in the stats got screwed up on April 22.

According to Seti@Work, we're ranked 156 and falling. In about a week we'll pass two groups, but two groups will pass us. Then in about four weeks there are four groups that will pass us.

I just converted several systems in my herd from screensaver to command line running as a service. However, these systems may not be powered up 24 hours a day. I also might lose the whole herd in the near future. If I lose my herd I'll be down to about 8 units per day instead of about 42.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Does anybody here have any recommendations for a work unit caching program or script for a Linux box with a dialup connection? I could turn in a lot more work units if I could cache on my Linux box.

JamesMH

Stunt Coordinator
I'm still number 67. :) Not bad for one PC.
I have another I can use, but its only a 233Mhz PC, I'll try and get the Linux version running.

Lee L

Supporting Actor
Wayne, if you see this, how do you set an app to run as a service. I have a program, setihide, that actually keeps the command line client running but I would just as soon do this, plus I have a couple of other programs I would like to run thiat way as well.

Jeff Ulmer

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Seti@home meets the Twilight Zone....
I haven't been SETIing for a long time due to instability issues. Haven't heard from them in years.
The other night I decide to watch CONTACT again. The next morning there is a message from SETI about the new version, so I download it to the new G4 dual 1,25GHz machine. My first work unit was captured by Arecebo on my birthday... (cue TZ theme).
BTW, the group link on the first page of this thread doesn't work anymore, since we aren't the Home Theater Forum group, but Home Theater Fanatics: http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/s...eam_20218.html

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
I haven't switched over to BOINC yet but I've lost a number of client PCs from my farm. I'll be doing some full reinstalls over the next few weeks, so that will probably be an opportunity to switch.

Chris White

Second Unit
Geez! I was really "out of the loop." I had not even heard of BOINC until seeing James's post today. About a year ago, the folks at Berkeley had something about the current phase of Seti ending some time around May 2004, but I haven't heard anything since then. Now I know why Dennis's output suddenly took a nosedive.
After reading about SETI@home's transition to BOINC, I'm surprised they couldn't figure out a way for users to keep their unit totals from Phase I. I don't know if I'll transition to BOINC or just stop processing when units are no longer available.

John Nelson

Stunt Coordinator
I've been out of the loop too, although my lone computer has continued to churn out work units (currently #49 with 2094 work units). Haven't read anything about our Home Theater Forum SETI team in a long time, so I've only just heard about BOINC today too. Looks like it's time to switch over. Although I'm not a very visible member of the team, it's been nice to contribute to the overall effort. Go team!

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
In the past few weeks I've had to do some rearranging on the network, and in so doing I lost the server I was using to run SETIqueue as well as all but a few of my SETI@home clients, so I decided it was time to bow out altogether.

But I just checked my stats and I was pleased to see that I reached 40,000 units before stopping.

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Contratulations, Wayne. I was planning on bowing out when they eventually quit accepting work units from the current software after transitioning to the new software. But I'm finding that keeping just my three computers appropriated for SETI is increasingly difficult. I don't know how much longer I can last, but I'm hoping I can get to 15,000 before I pack it in.

Thanks for all your work units.

Andrew Grall

Supporting Actor
I'm now running BOINC at work, but regular old command-line at home. I wouldn't mind switching over completely to BOINC, but I'm a little bummed that it doesn't account for all the work units I've done on "classic" SETI@home since June 2004.

Is BOINC supposed to be faster, slower, or about the same as the command-line version?

Peter Yee

Premium
It would seem that the BOINC side of the house is counting Classic credits, although it wasn't obvious (from a cursory search) how they calculate classic credits into the BOINC score.
I may have to convert one of these days. ;)

BrianW

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brian
Well, SETI@Home is shutting down its "Classic" operation and using BOINC exclusively on December 15. The announcement is in the News section on their main classic homepage.
I got to my 15,000 units, but I don't think I'll be switching over to BOINC. Beta-testing operating systems and running SETI just don't mix without a lot of inconvenience.
It was fun while it lasted, but I'll be out of the game December 15.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks