What's new

SETI@home Part 3 (Take 2) (1 Viewer)

Dennis Reno

Supporting Actor
For those of you not familiar with the SETI@home program here is their description:
SETI@home is a scientific experiment that uses Internet-connected computers in the Search for Extraterrestrial Intelligence (SETI). You can participate by running a free program that downloads and analyzes radio telescope data.
The HTF has created a team which anyone running the SETI@home program can join. Our work units are pooled together and we are ranked against other teams. Currently we are in the Top 200 of all teams worldwide! However, for us to continue moving up that list we need to enlist more members.
Interested??? If so, below you will find a plethora ("Jefe, what is a plethora?") of links that will allow you to join us in our search for E.T.!
First, go to SETI@home , select "Download SETI@home", select your OS, read the intructions and install the screensaver. After you have the program running, go here SETI@home-HTF and click on "Join".
Other links of interest:
Top 200 Seti Teams
Top 200 SETI Club Teams
The best Seti utility: Seti Driver
Another very good Seti utility: Link Removed
BTW, not only is the HTF Team one of the largest SETI teams worldwide, we also have possibly the longest ongoing thread in the history of the HTF! You might want to check out the first page or two of the archived thread for other interesting links and observations:
SETI@home Part 2
Welcome to the team!

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
Thanks, Dennis!
And looking forward to Chris White's ongoing coverage of the HTF Team Status. We've all come a LONG way since you started this.
I'd also like to encourage other members from HTF to join the cause. Only about 1% of the total membership is participating - it would be great if that grew to, say, 5%...
wink.gif

This software does not take away anything from your normal use of your machines - it runs only when the PC is idle. IOW, almost totally transparent to the user. I've had it running on a couple of my PCs for months now, 24/7, and not a single problem with it.
Mike

Chris White

Second Unit
Thanks for the restart guys. Mike, I'm truly sorry if I upset you. I guess I just felt that since Dennis had gone to the trouble to start this club, the honor of starting new threads should be his. But, I also understand that you were just doing what people had suggested in the last thread -- start a new one. Again, sorry.
Jefe, what is a plethora?
LOL!! Dennis, isn't that from The Three Amigos?
Dennis, you may want to edit your first post to include the following link: HTF Seti Team Statistics
Just so everyone knows where we stand:
Ranking Update!
All Seti Teams #151
Seti Club Teams #73
------------------
The Whites' Home Theater Website
Pictures, DIY Projects, Glossaries, FAQ, Links, Toshiba Tips & Tweaks

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
12.5 hours each for the last two work units processed using version 3.03. That was even on my fastest machine which was running them around 7 hours. I knew it would be slower but not by that much. Is anybody else experiencing that much of a slow down with the new version? I think I'll convert the other machines over when they stop accepting WU's from 3.0.
BTW, does anybody know when we must switch over to the new version?
Wade (AKA Mister Gin)

Wade

Stunt Coordinator
biggrin.gif

That was a pretty good one there Chris. It's time to find some more computer slaves so I can kick some eighth place butt
wink.gif

Hope everyone has a great holiday. And I hope the power stays on while I'm gone.
Wade

Wayne Bundrick

Senior HTF Member
Version 2.0 only processed work units in the +/-10 Hz/s Doppler drift range.
Version 3.0 increased the range to +/-50 Hz/s, but with a more coarse resolution from -50 to -10 Hz/s and from 10 to 50 Hz/s. Version 3.0 also added pulse and triplet detection. The added processing was partially offset by significantly faster FFT performance.
But, SETI@Home has so many users, with processors that are becoming faster and faster, that the high rate of work unit downloads is using too much bandwidth on Berkeley's pipeline to the Internet. Therefore, version 3.03 does even more work to slow it down. Even if they have an underlying reason for the decision to slow down the client, the slowdown is still the result of a legitimate improvement in the client's search for E.T.
Version 3.03 shifts the fine resolution processing out to the +/-20 Hz/s range, with coarse resolution in the -50 to -20 Hz/s and 20 to 50 Hz/s range. The client is running slower for the legitimate purpose of more thoroughly processing each work unit.
Something to keep in mind: while it's fun to think of this as a contest, both between the members of the group and between our group and other groups, the science of looking for E.T. is the bottom line. If SETI@Home's worldwide computing horsepower remains sufficient to process the data as quickly as it can be recorded by the space telescope, then the client software is not too slow.

Chris White

Second Unit
Congrats to Mister Gin for moving into 9th place. Wade, it looks like I'd better get home soon and restart some of my slaves! It looks like Kevin Flanagan will be moving into the top 10 fairly soon.
Ranking Update!
All Seti Teams #149

------------------

Alright, I've downloaded and installed it. I'm ready for a close encounter.
BTW - How does this thing know who's team I'm on...it never asked?

Robert Elrod

Agent
David, you have to go to the HTF team page and click "join" on the top of the page.
[url=http://setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu/stats/team/team_20218.html

------------------

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
First off, about that other thread (Take 1, so to speak
biggrin.gif
), don't worry about it.
Second, we seem to be doing well, and it is great to see additional members joining in on the fun!
Mike

Gene S

Agent
I've been using the Seti@Home screen saver for a while, but I finally joined the HT group :) I was surprised when all my units transfered to the club, even though it was only 20 something units, but hey every unit counts :)
I'm really disturbed by how long the units take to complete though with the new version. I've been averaging about 24hrs a unit (I don't leave my computer on all day, too many power interuptions over here)My first unit with the new software took 60 hours!!! I'm hoping that was a fluke though!
------------------

Chris White

Second Unit
Welcome aboard Gene!
A couple of my "slaves" received a message from Seti requesting that the software be upgraded to the new 3.03 software.
Ranking Update!
All Seti Teams #148
Seti Club Teams #71
------------------

Joseph Howard

Stunt Coordinator
Whew!! I've finally got my computer lab back.
Once again, I have 20 CPUs at my knee begging
to process workunits!!
After upgrading them all to version 3.03 today.
I hope to start generating 20-30 units a day
until the end of January! WooooZAHHH!!
--Joe
aka..."willynjoe"
*******EDITED ADDITION: Yikes!!! What used to take
9 hours to process under Seti Version 2.04, now takes
20 hours under Seti Version 3.03. Woof!! I might have
to cut my workunit estimate down for my 20 CPU workers.
...ah well... must remember this is science and not a
race...(yeah, I know... must go faster!!)
------------------
Dr. Joseph Howard
Link Removed
"Imagine what you could do,
if you could do what you imagine."

Loring

Stunt Coordinator
Greetings Everyone,
I have been running Seti@home win9x screensaver for a few months now and have processed about 80 WUs. I am running win98 on two machines(two different locations) both processing WUs for me. I don't know how long it takes to process a WU but one machine seems to take a least a day(slower of the two machines).
Will be adding at least one more machine(most likely a linux box) at home soon, after I finish putting it back together.
Any tips to get thing to crank out WUs faster for win9x.
I am going to join the HTF team just want to get everything working harder/faster/better before I do join up.
Thanks for having this thread.
------------------
Happy Viewing :)
~Loring
[email protected]
"Ye do not meddle in thee affairs of thy dragon, for thou art crunchy and taste good with thy katchup"

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
acinstallation172
Recent bookmarks