What's new

Set top box advice (1 Viewer)

I bought a Mitsubishi WS-55909 55" Diamond Series RPTV that includes a HDTV tuner -actually they deliver it on Friday:D
I was kind of confused about the digital tuner thing. I come to realize I need a Direct TV HDTV "set top box" to view the HD HBO, HDNET, etc. So I call the store and ask him about the tuner and he tells me the Mitsubishi model is $899! I ask if I should have bought same model without the "built in" tuner and then buy the STB, he "yes but they don't make the Diamond series without a built in HDTV off air tuner anymore". So if I stick with this deal and buy the STB, I surely have a nice setup, but at quite some cost. For what they charge for HDTV tuners, I don't really want a redundant one. Make sense?
SO if I dig deep and buy a STB, which one should I get. The Mitsubishi is very expensive, but the salesman claims it is the best, especially since it will connect to a Mits TV. I've seen a Samsung for under $600. Any good?
Thanks
MIKE

Marc Rochkind

Second Unit
I hope someone with authoritative information will jump in here, but I'm not so sure you need to get a "HD receiver" (DirecTV receiver + HD tuner) if you already have an HD tuner in the TV. My understanding is that as long as the DirecTV part is multi-satellite, you can connect it to the HDTV.

I think you should get a second opinion.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks