International Sergio Leone Blu-ray thread

Discussion in 'Blu-ray and UHD' started by HDvision, Jul 14, 2013.

Tags:
  1. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    The PQ detail is astounding. However I hear the french 5.1 mix is still not in the right pitch (apparently they fixed the german pitch problem by going back to the original mono and ditching the 5.1), and I'm awaiting to get some feedback confirmation on the mono english mix being the right mix and not the fold down of the 5.1 as per the previous disc.

2. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    addition: the mono track on the new GBU remaster is, er, NOT THE ORIGINAL, it's same old downmix from the 5.1 remix...

3. Martin Zandstra

Martin Zandstra Auditioning

Weird:

I just checked my UK Blu-ray and the mono track is not a mixdown of the 5.1 and so does not have the new foley like in the beginning when van Cleef pulls the emergency stop.

And the train stopping sounds are the old ones and not the new ones.

It's the same as the mono track on the German Blu-ray.

4. AshJW

AshJW Supporting Actor

Thomas
    What movie ar you talking about? Not GBU, as
    is in FEW DOLLARS MORE. ;)

Robin9 likes this.
  5. Brent Reid

Brent Reid Second Unit

Brent
    I just got back from Il Cinema Ritrovato 2014 in Bologna and saw the latest restoration of A Fistful of Dollars. Sir Christopher Frayling was there for a few days to give his usual excellent insights into Leone and spaghetti westerns in general and again I got to chat with him.

A quick aside: although there are no definitive original language soundtracks for many spaghettis, personally I prefer to view them in the native language of the principal actors. Therefore English is my favoured choice for all the post-Colossus Leones.

Fistful has now had its English soundtrack restored from a combination of several 35mm and 16mm prints and separate original music, dialogue and effects tracks. As it has had no new sounds added I consider it as authentic as any other in existence, although it is effectively a 'new' track. Naturally, given that the restorers had access to all this original material and could recreate the entire track from scratch it doesn't make sense that they would also create a new mono track just for the sake of it.

I can finally see why they sometimes considerately include a folded-down-to-mono recompiled and restored ("remixed") audio track for those who prefer the mono experience.

My point is that though previously frustrated at the lack of original mono tracks on BD for some of these films, the concept of such a thing becomes moot. The only way they could include a truly original (in this case, English) track is if they simply transferred an entire, worn and damaged in places, 35mm optical track to BD. Even then, it would likely be missing some audio due to the various different international film edits.

We really do get the best of all worlds now and certainly far better than the original audiences had.

6. Martin Zandstra

Few dollars more, I forgot to add that!

7. Martin Zandstra

Just received the "old" DVD of The Good, the bad and the ugly.
    Bought it on eBay for about € 5,-

Anamorphic 2.35:1, original english mono and (nearly complete) international cut, what's not to like!

Yes the resolution is lower, yes there are imperfections like scratches and debris but I don't care
    it gives the film an authentic look.
    Sometimes companies make old movies look too good and clean in my opinion.

Now I know which version of TGTBTU I'll be watching from now on.

For the record, I also have the US 2-disc and the Dutch Blu-ray.

8. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    That DVD is great. Warts and all. Shame this cut doesn't exist on Blu.

9. Vahan_Nisanain

Vahan_Nisanain Supporting Actor

Vahan_Nisanain
    Good thread, David.

What is missing from a few moments of the late 1990's DVD of TGTBTU? And why would they be missing.

10. HDvision

HDvision Screenwriter

David
    Wow, long time since this thread was updated.

I need to fix the first post. MGM silently reissued GBU with the correct mono track of the english mono instead of the fold down.

A fan have bought online a 35mm italian print of GBU, where he found extra footage not to be found anywhere on any version + includes the complete Tuco torture scene, showing it was part of the italian version.

Also I just was pointed out on FB about this exceptional document showing Sergio Leone directing the french dubbing of DYS.

Sergio Leone speaks in french in it, there's a great part where he says that after OUATITW, then Once Upon a Time... The Revolution, he will complete the trilogy with Once Upon a Time in America. This is dated probably early 1972.

https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10152288138803164&fref=nf

It shows clearly what real title the master intended for this film. (Thought he does speaks about the italian title, and this part of the conversation comes out as underwhelming).

SAhmed likes this.
  11. cinerama10

cinerama10 Second Unit

peter
    I have never been a fan of westerns with the exception of films by Sergio Leone. A true master of the cinema. THE GOOD ,THE BAD AND THE UGLY is ,in my opinion one of the greatest films ever made.There is not dull moment in this 3 hour epic. I recently watched the newly remastered bluray of the film and I was mesmerised rom start to finish. That is a rarity in cinema. It is a pity that there are few film makers capable of attaining Leonie's qualities. A true master of the cinema. Now I know where Clint Eastwood got his talent from.

SAhmed likes this.