What's new
World Wide Stereo

Screen Size...which is best? (1 Viewer)

Real Name
Tim
I've been reading a lot about this lately trying to figure out what will be best. I've seen a ton of different calculators and each tells me something different. Bottom line, I want to be able to get maximum enjoyment out of watching a movie without feeling like the screen is too large and overwhelming, or too small and unsatisfying. I want the same viewing experience that I would get by going to a theater and watching a movie (minus the crying babies, noisy teens, and the overpriced consessions. ;) )

With that being said, I want your input as to either what you've done and how it works for you, or what you would recommend. My seating distance will be 11.5' from the screen with the projector at 13'. I'm going back and forth between getting either the 100" or 80" 16:9 screen. By trying to visualize the 100" screen's placement, I'm thinking that's too big as my eyes won't be able to take in the entire screen while viewing. Visualizing the 80" screen, I think I can see everything fine, but it seems to me that it might be too small.

Expert advice?

Bill Marsh

Agent
Personal preference--I sit 10 ft from a 92" diagonal 16:9 screenand wish now it was 110". It's a great piicture but when 2:35:1 is projected the area of image is smaller. If your projector doesn't have issues with screen door or anything and is bright enough {calibrated}---I would go bigger for WOW effect. I may build a DIY screen soon.

Real Name
Tim
The projector will be the Infocus IN72.

Do your eyes have trouble taking in all the screen at that distance? Or do you feel like you have to scan the screen from side to side to take it all in?

JKL1960

Agent
Real Name
Jim
I determined the max screen size I could get on my wall and then used this calculator to determine viewing distances. I find that the distance it recommended for my target screen size has worked out near perfect. I'm hitting a white wall until I'm satisfied with final size and location and had a very large image at one point. It was okay for playing with a Wii but too big for movies. Going down to my target size was very comfortable for movie watching.

My target size was 106" diag. with front row at just under 12' and a second row a couple to three feet back. It works beautifully.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TThomps
Recent bookmarks