What's new

Scott Atwell Star Trek Discussion thread (Series and Films) (1 Viewer)

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,No worries. You're the prop expert, and it's good to be right! Thanks for the information.

Lee,

We just finished watching Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan. I love the Director's Cut, as the added footage really does matter. My daughter (and everyone else) really enjoyed it. My wife didn't recall the extra Preston footage, nor some other tidbits we hear between a few of the characters throughout the film.One question my eldest daughter asked me was whether Khan survived in the same manner as Spock. (She knows about his 'rebirth' in Star Trek III: The Search For Spock.) I told her that I had never thought of that before.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I had no idea how illuminating this question would be! It's a whole other prop and from looking at screencaps, it seems that it was used several times. (I did check the remaining answer and that one does seem to be the familiar McCoy prop.) This lighted one seems larger than the usual one as I look at the pics now.Setting themselves up for Star Trek XIV: The SUPER Wrath of Khan? Fun idea, but I can't see Khan surviving that time, even in science fiction. Spock was ensconced in a torpedo tube that flew directly to the surface and made a soft landing after the Genesis wave had occurred. Khan was in a ship that was blown to bits before the Genesis effect began. He would have had to remain intact after the explosion and in open space, and then land on the Genesis planet after the torpedo had struck it. He also would have had to evade the sensors of the U.S.S. Grissom and the Klingon Bird of Prey. I'm afraid Genesis wasn't going to revive Khan; it would take J. J. Abrams.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
So I would think its fair to your question that this other scanner counts. It appears to be an additional scanner that's more likely for engineering or technical uses verses McCoys that was really for medical use. I'll keep thinking about your last answer.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
"Khan was in a ship that was blown to bits before the Genesis effect began."

Lee,

What you wrote here (I included the underscore) is key, I think. My daughter did mention something very close to this when we were discussing the possibilities. By the way, I like your usage of 'XIV.' :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I was curious how your children reacted to Montalban as Khan verse Cumberbatch because I imagine they don't have a long history with one version and they have been raised with different sensibilities verses others who have had a longer association with TOS. Perhaps they are too young, I guess I'm just curious what a group of people of a certain age would think of the Abrams Star Trek having seen it perhaps before TOS, would they be able to see if there is a difference and would they think TOS wasn't some old TV show. :)

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
I can't recall for sure if Rodriguez is using the scanner in Shore Leave, or if he was merely using the tricorder alone.

Ockeghem

Ockeghem
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Scott D. Atwell
Nelson,

Most of our older children (sixteen years and over) saw Space Seed and Star Trek II: The Wrath Of Khan before they saw either of the Abrams films. The younger children (fourteen and under) have seen the episode and the films and they either don't see or aren't aware of (or perhaps don't recall) the disconnect between the TOS Khan and the Abrams Khan. I haven't attempted to point out the inconsistencies between any iteration of Khan. In any event, all of them enjoyed the episode and the films for what they were without regard for any level of continuity.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
"The only way in is to cut through these wall circuits." Scotty in The Naked Time scans the wall to cut into to get into engineering after Riley locks himself in there. Thanks Scott, there's definitely a disconnect! :) I am mostly thinking of the way Khan is portrayed. They base Khan in Into Darkness more on the Wrath of Khan then the Soace Seed Khan. I guess in both films, he was out for revenge.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I heard an interview with Bob Orci in which he talks about his impression of Khan having been justified in his anger at the way he was treated. Orci talked about the Ceti Alpha V thing and I did wonder if he recalled the events of Space Seed at all. (Chekov alludes to them in WOK, but that's one sentence as opposed to Khan's myriad soliloquies of revenge.) In any case, it certainly supports your view of the new Khan as coming entirely from the movie.You get another point for Scotty in The Naked Time. But I do still have another episode.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Did Spock use the scanner once again on McCoy in For The World is Hollow after the Oracle punishes McCoy?Lee, it is a surprise to check out all the little gadgets they made up for the series as it progressed. The additional scanner that Daystrom uses is pretty neat to discover for me. It was probably easier to implement too as there are no motors inside, just a light, but upon closer inspection, the light appears to change color. Maybe it was a subtle addition by the remaster team, I'll have to review it on the older DVDs.In regards to your earlier post about Stan Robinson, I thought It was odd too he would say Star Trek was 'our' show when addressing memos to Coon or Roddenberry. I looked him up and his title was Manager of Programing. So I guess he could feel a little responsible for the success of the shows. He did probably want to not ruffle anyone's feathers in the audience, and as you said, he could have underestimated the audience a few times! Orci does seem to be feeling a little entitled lately! :). But whatever.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
I think it's interesting how producers feel that the network is often an obstacle and the network representatives feel like they are partners.Spock only uses the tricorder and the surgical tool in For the World is Hollow, but you're not getting colder.

FanCollector

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Lee
Unfortunately, Nelson and Scott are the trivia experts, not I. Correct!I count the score as 6 for Scott and 5 for Nelson, although Nelson does get extra credit for making a very important discovery.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
Thanks Lee, thanks Scott!I think I have a pretty good idea for a question. I just need to vet all the answers tonight.

Nelson Au

Senior HTF Member
By the way, I was just on the Trekcore site. Two interesting things there, one an interview with Marc Cushman. I'll read it when I get home tonight. The other is a story on the toys from TNG that came out at the time and my friend was one of the people who developed them!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks