What's new

Apple TV+ Schmigadoon! (1 Viewer)

EricSchulz

Senior HTF Member
In a nutshell: a couple on a camping retreat to rekindle their relationship get lost during a storm and end up in a town like they’ve never seen before….Schmigadoon! They’ve stumbled upon a living, breathing movie musical where everyone sings and dances EVERYTHING.
I’ve only watched the first episode but here’s my take: it’s funny, clever and a spot-on tribute to classic movie musicals. It’s colorful and does a great job of recreating the look and feel of an old Rogers & Hammerstein musical. It succeeds (so far) because it’s a loving parody and not mean spirited at all. I have a feeling Kristin Chenoweth is going to steal the show! Looking forward to the remaining episodes.
E49CD370-9BF5-4D06-B498-FF8E2691526B.jpeg

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
I saw a preview of this on GMA3 this morning. Aaron Tveit explaining it. It really looks interesting. A couple of the hosts on GMA3 did not know what "Brigadoon" was. Don't suppose there will ever be a disc.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Watched Episode 1 tonight and enjoyed it. It’s a curious blend of straight-up musical theater and modern ironic “we’re stuck in a musical“ sitcom. And it works well, at least for the first episode.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I saw a preview of this on GMA3 this morning. Aaron Tveit explaining it. It really looks interesting. A couple of the hosts on GMA3 did not know what "Brigadoon" was. Don't suppose there will ever be a disc.

I would've thought Brigadoon was something that had seeped into the collective consciousness at least through parody and homage over the years.

I know about it because of a DS9 episode called Meridian, which was about a planet that phased into sync with our universe once every hundred years or so. And when asked about the episode for the DS9 companion, the writers flat out said "Oh, yeah, we did Brigadoon."

Maybe I'm just a nerd.

Anyway, I'm waiting for the season to be complete marathon it, as I usually do.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
The complete staged concert for Brigadoon by Encores! is available for viewing on YouTube if you want to experience one of the most beautiful and romantic of all musical comedies. Patrick Wilson and Kelli O'Hara star. The middling 1954 MGM musical adaptation of the show with Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse is also available on Blu-ray.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On NPR this morning they were interviewing Key (or was it Peele?). He said he got the inspiration for it several years ago watching “An American Werewolf in London.” Two guys hiking the English countryside? What would happen if they encountered a musical and not a werewolf?

One more difference between the creative and me. He watches a horror film and comes up with a musical comedy.

I’ve seen the preview and had assumed it was a movie. I’m surprised to learn it’s a series.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
On NPR this morning they were interviewing Key (or was it Peele?). He said he got the inspiration for it several years ago watching “An American Werewolf in London.” Two guys hiking the English countryside? What would happen if they encountered a musical and not a werewolf?

One more difference between the creative and me. He watches a horror film and comes up with a musical comedy.

I’ve seen the preview and had assumed it was a movie. I’m surprised to learn it’s a series.
When the article on “Schmgadoon” was repeated I discovered it wasn’t Key or Peel but another creator on the show.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
The complete staged concert for Brigadoon by Encores! is available for viewing on YouTube if you want to experience one of the most beautiful and romantic of all musical comedies. Patrick Wilson and Kelli O'Hara star. The middling 1954 MGM musical adaptation of the show with Gene Kelly and Cyd Charisse is also available on Blu-ray.
I can't find it. Have you got a link? Thanks. The recording is the best of any of the "Brigadoon" recordings.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I watched the first two episodes. It.was good. People who enjoy old style musicals would probably like it the most; although, sometimes, I felt the song lyrics struggled to maintain the GA musical style.

I'm not a big fan of GA musicals, so my feelings regarding being stuck in a world like that mirrored Josh's: one of the main contemporary characters.

Still worth taking a.look at since there is a somewhat hidden contemporary subtext going on beneath the GA musical styling. The world in this series reminds me of the film "Pleasantville" in that it is ripe for subversion by the arrival of the two outsiders.

usrunnr

Writer
Real Name
usrunnr
Would you say this is in the style of, similar to, or related in some way to "Galavant"?

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
I watched the first two episodes. It.was good. People who enjoy old style musicals would probably like it the most; although, sometimes, I felt the song lyrics struggled to maintain the GA musical style.

I'm not a big fan of GA musicals, so my feelings regarding being stuck in a world like that mirrored Josh's: one of the main contemporary characters.

Still worth taking a.look at since there is a somewhat hidden contemporary subtext going on beneath the GA musical styling. The world in this series reminds me of the film "Pleasantville" in that it is ripe for subversion by the arrival of the two outsiders.
What's a GA?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gigaspin88
Recent bookmarks