What's new

Saturday Night Live Season36 (1 Viewer)

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Something like, "why don't you go rewrite the lyrics to Candle in the Wind again?"

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I was away from home most of the weekend and came back and watched the "complete" show online at nbc.com. I had also recorded it on my DVR, but I wanted to do some other stuff on the computer while watching. The Fox and Friends skit had a long list of "corrections" at the end which I knew I had to watch on the DVR copy at 1/15 mode. When I started going through the show I realized that Helen Mirren's monologue was cut from the online version. It had a song in it and once again they didn't get it cleared for online showing. I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this happened yet again, but I am disappointed again.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Who is the musical guest with Tina Fey on Saturday? I've never heard of her. Ellie??? I can't think of her name.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I wonder if Seth Meyers will have anything about his doing a joke at the White House correspondents dinner about the location of Osama bin Laden when the President actually knew where he was. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw the correspondents dinner as the setting of the cold opening.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
The show last night was okay, but the funniest part to me was the Andy Samberg short with Michael Bolton!!! Maybe he's learned to laugh at himself. Him doing Johnny Depp was great.

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
I fell asleep after Weekend Update but the Samberg/Bolton song was hillarious. Steffon was funny as always but the skits before WU weren't that memorable.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jeremiah

I fell asleep after Weekend Update but the Samberg/Bolton song was hillarious. Steffon was funny as always but the skits before WU weren't that memorable.

About Stefon - I presume that Bill Hader just can't control himself there. He was unable to keep a straight face and almost completely cracked up while reading his bits.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Stefon breaking character is part of the character. I don't know if it was planned that way or if he broke the first time and then allowed himself to break each time because it got such a reaction. Debbie Downer was nowhere near as funny as the first time they did it, because Dratch and the rest of the cast breaking character was the funniest part.

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Originally Posted by Hanson Yoo

Stefon breaking character is part of the character.

I don't think it's part of the character per se, but it's definitely pary of the bit. It's very similar to Sandler's Herhily Boy, where Chris Farley would actively attempt to make Sandler crack up. Here, Seth (through writing the dialogue) tries to get Hader to crack up, while also playing the straight man (pun intended).

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The thing is, Hader doesn't have a Fallon-esque penchant for breaking character. It only happens when he does the Stefon bits, so I assume he allows himself to break when he goes on WU. Unless Myers is goosing him under the table out of view, Hader breaks in the middle of his speeches without any prompting from Myers.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't be surprised if they don't let Hader know what will be on the cue cards when he does the Stefon character.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the link to the Hader interview. That's the beauty of the live television.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
Yeah, I'd read another Hader interview awhile back where he mentioned that the first time he ever sees the "Stefon" material after writing it is actually during the live broadcast, up on the teleprompter.

Apparently, he refuses to run it through even during the rehearsals, in order to maintain the "in-the-moment" spontaneity of it all.v

Stefon rules all: Bologna Danza. Jew Diamond Philips. Subway Sleeping-Bags. Human Kites.

Also:

SPICY!!!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
^^^^^^^^^^^^

I was saying Spicy all day today, and thinking about Jew Diamond Philips. It's just too much.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
I haven't watched the whole show with Ed Helms yet, but the Ambiguously Gay Duo is great!!! I have to watch that again to see Jimmy Fallon, Jon Hamm, and others. So many guest stars in that it is probably the highlight of the show!

Jeremiah

Screenwriter
My gawd, The Amiguously Gay duo is so outragous; John Hamm makes me laugh whenever I see him on SNL. Also, when they were fighting the eel and it got hard was just too damn funny to me.

Other then that and the "What Up Wit Dat" skit I was pretty dissapointed in the episode overall.

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
It also seemed they forgot Ed Helms was hosting until the last half-hour of the show, as he barely appeared in any of them.

That said, of course, Live-Action AGD was all kinds of amazing. I didn't catch all the cameos. So the Gay Duo were Jon Hamm and Jimmy Fallon, and the bad guys were Ed Helms, Steve Carrell, Fred Armisen, and Stephen Colbert? So, so good.

Brandy S

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Brandy
It was a pretty sad episode.

I will admit that Ed Helms seems limited in range, but he's funny.

I was wondering why they were playing such an old SNL standard from back in the day (AGD), and came close to turning the channel, but when it became real it was awesome! It took me a second to realize it was Steve Carell.

Overall it was just disappointing.

Here's to hoping we get another epic Timberlake episode next week!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks