What's new

Saturday Night Live - Season 34 (1 Viewer)

Albert_M

Supporting Actor
Outside of some pretty funny political stuff, the season has been weak. Ironically, the opening political skit was one of the weakest ones from this week and of the political ones all season (though the variety show one was good).
You know there had to be some sketch related to Mad Men and it was ok, could have been better and worse. But Hamm was great as James Mason, and in the Don Draper ad. The Jon Hamm John Ham was good.
Coldplay might have played an additional song due to Amy being out, but they might have regardless. They are among the bigger rock bands out there these days. Better another song than a skit so “strong” that it would have been relegated to the bottom of the 12am hour

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
As soon as they started to play, it cut off. I really wanted to see Violet Hill--why did they perform Yellow?:frowning:

MatthewLouwrens

Senior HTF Member
A bit late posting about the Jon Hamm episosde (in fact, the next episode has already aired) but I thought it was reasonable. The Mad Men sketches were great, they got the Don Draper pitch perfect, just a shame it was an A-holes sketch. And the Guide To Picking Up Women was great also.

But, did I misunderstand something, or was the Vincent Price sketch supposed to have been in 1959? (I'm pretty sure the TV Land intro screen said 1959.) Because they introduced James Mason "from Lolita", which wasn't released until 1962, so that was bothering me the whole sketch.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Saw the Jon Hamm episode via DVR last night, and it was pretty solid, pleasantly surprised to see John Slattery and Elisabeth Moss in the Mad Men skit.

Ben Affleck just let loose and had a fun time with the material, elevating most of it, the Keith Olberman bit was too funny, probably an instant classic, though it did run a little long.

Craig S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Craig Seanor
A week later, I'm still laughing at Jon Hamm's John Ham ("If it looks like ham, don't wipe your ass with it.").

Last night's show was hit & miss, but did have some funny stuff in it. The Olbermann skit WAS too long, but mostly funny, and the ending rant was hilarious. The "Target Lady" segment was given new life by Affleck's creepy UPS guy. John McCain came off quite well in his segments. And I laughed at Kenan Thompson's old-guy sex moves tape and the "Giraffes" segment.

OTOH, the "Night School Musical" & movie-brother skits just laid there. The German coat sellers were much too close to Hans & Franz. And "The View" segment was just bad. Casey Wilson's Jennifer Aniston may be the worst impression ever seen on SNL.

Wilson in general is as complete a bust as I can remember on the show. A year in and we haven't seen one memorable character or scene from her. Moynahan hasn't fared much better. Compare these 2 to the instant impressions that Wiig, Hader & Samberg made. Are there no more good young comics in the country??

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial

Double entendre?

htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
Moynihan has gotten off to a good start IMHO. One of the best sketches of the season so far has been the Of Mice and Men one where he played Lenny. Casey OTOH has been a total dud, but now that Lorne Michaels has gone senile and wants to keep the same cast members on forever, she'll probably be around for another decade or so. :rolleyes

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
I enjoyed it for the most part. I do have a question about the show - the fake ad for the jar glove. I know I have seen that before on the show. Or at least one very similar. Does anyone know if that really was reused or was it slightly changed in some way?

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It was used before - can't remember which episode. I tuned out after I saw it was a repeat, so I'm not sure if it had been shortened.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Paul Rudd as host seemed promising, but Justin Timberlake basically stole the show with his two contributions. The new cast members made some pretty low profiles appearances.

Abby_B

Supporting Actor
That Justin Timberlake as Beyonce's back-up dancer was probably one of the funniest skits I've seen in a really long time!!!

Henry Gale

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Henry Gale
Everything I know about Timberlake I learned by watching SNL.
The dancing cup and now Beyonce's back-up dancer and his quick version of "the show he would have done".
Oh yeah, some routine about a gift for his girl.
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

I'm a fan.

xfile94

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jennifer Colbert
Tim McGraw wasn't very funny. That's all I can think of right now.

Jon Martin

Senior HTF Member

I actually thought he was one of the best performers of the season. He didn't rely on the cue cards and was very natural.

That said, the material he had wasn't the greatest.

Although Clear Rite is an instant classic sketch.

Chris Lockwood

Senior HTF Member
Is it just me, or is the show back to sucking now that the election is over?

Has Armisen even done Obama since then? If not, isn't that a bit strange?

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
Tim McGraw sans hat looks like Greg Evigan. It was one of those solidly funny shows without a transcendantly funny sketch. Lots of smiles and giggles but no really lasting guffaw.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks