What's new

Saturday Night Live - Season 34 (1 Viewer)

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
I thought Faris did pretty well with some weak material. The final sketch also showed how much better she looks as a brunette.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member
The show was a mixed bag I thought. Not as bad as Phelps; there were some ok pieces, but overall it wasn't that great.

That said, and I readily admit that I have resented Darrell Hammond's seemingly eternal presence on the show for years now, the Bill Clinton WU piece was the best thing to come out of this show since "Lazy Sunday."

mylan

Screenwriter

I agree, we rewatched selected skits this morning, that and the couple who went to dinner, "do you think they liked us" skit was the two funniest of the night. Hammond's delivery of Clinton wasn't his best but I thought the line " and I would especially like to thank Duffy" was classic Clinton/Hammond, on that note, I had never heard of Duffy before last night and its not my type of music but for some reason i couldn't turn away from her performance. :D

David Norman

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I don't think last night was a terrible show at all (ala Phelps). Maybe not great, but I thought the 1st 1/2 hour was actually funny -- Fey's opening was hysterical, I liked WU and especially the Bill Clinton, the takeoff on the Debate with Hillary in the wings as the 'backup' was funny. Hammond's "some women need a little encouragement to do some things they don't think they'll like, but ...." was just classic. The Wiig "Nervous" segment was more amazing than amusing, but still the whole WU was superb.

The Dinner party while predictable after is got started was at least humorous until the pat Toonces ending they seem to use when they can never figure out how to end a skit.

1st Date in the boat 'pseudo-musical' was amusing. I'm assuming as Faris was doing some some of Britney with the dark hair.

I thought the Strip Club takeoff of the Bailout was a nice idea and at least smiled, but never got a real foothold.

Faris plays the Dumb Blonde well enough and her timing is usually so good that even mediocre material has a chance.

Last half of the show is as depressing as usual:

Wedding Dress stunk it up.

My feelings about Restaurant skits aren't improving.

Ex BoyFriend -- well I had to look up the show index since I don't even remember this one at all.

Duffy -- well what can you say other than decent eye candy. I haven't understood the entertainment guest in over a decade anyway.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
The show was alright, but I thought Anna Farris did a really good job as the host.

~T

Aaron Silverman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Aaron Silverman
Mostly mediocre show, I thought. The debate spoof was the cream of a weak crop. The strip club bit was OK. The "I don't think they liked us" was IMO a prime example of "hey, here's a simple concept we can milk for five minutes." Ugh. Sadly, I missed the Clinton bit on Weekend Update.

I agree that Anna Faris looks much better with dark hair (and the running "dumb blonde" theme got old very quickly).
htf_images_smilies_smile.gif

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
Thumbs up to Anne Hathaway for being willing to laugh at herself in the monologue.

That Lawrence Welk sketch was bizarre but hilarious.

John_Lee

Supporting Actor
Mark Wahlberg talks to animals is why I continue to watch.

What's up chicken? Most people want to eat you, but I just want to talk.

Citizen87645

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cameron Yee
It was an all-around very good episode - I even liked the musical group.

Rhoq

Supporting Actor
Most consistently funny show in years. The Lawrence Welk sketch was comedy gold. Hell even the SNL Digital Short, while not great - was stupid fun.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
It was the first time since Feist that I actually watched the musical guest, and the first time since I don't know when since I watched the musical guest not knowing the song.

Are they Swedish? The lyrics were gibberish, but the song was catchy.

The debate sketch wasn't as vicious as the previous ones (Pailn is becoming the lovable idiot that Ferrell's Bush became), but it was still good. Lots of strong sketches -- the Lawrence Welk Show sketch was less about the script than about makeup/props/costume, but is was lizard brain funny -- my wife and I were in total hysterics.

Lost of strong sketches and consistently funny throughout (as already mentioned, the monolog and the first sketch were funny, and those are typically weak). Even the Mary Poppins sketch was really funny, and that style of sketch usually thuds.

Best show of the season so far.

AnthonyC

Senior HTF Member

You've never seen The Killers before? This is their third SNL appearance IIRC. They've been around for a few years and did that "Somebody Told Me" song ("...that you had a boyfriend who looked like a girlfriend that I had in February of last year...")

It was definitely the best show of the season and Anne is by far the best host they've had in a long time. I really hope they bring her back.

todd s

Senior HTF Member
I hope SNL doesn't do with the Palin skits that they do with a lot of other good recurring character skits....Overuse it.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Really good show. Even for the sketches that weren't funny, they didn't drag. Hathaway did a great job.

~T

streeter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Michael
The Killers performed two more songs after the credits ran. It was videotaped - no idea if it will be used anywhere.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Anne must be able to quickly scan cue cards and then deliver her lines with good inflection to elevate the material written for the skits because I watched how she'd sneak peeks at the cue cards, but then deliver the lines as naturally as possible. It was appreciated since many other guests would just stare at the cue cards with nary any connection to their character was saying. Sudekis was also doing a good job on his lines in the "Not-so-gay roommate" sketch.

Joe Bernardi

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Joe Bernardi

Tina Fey said she doesn't want to do Palin much longer, and suggested that perhaps some people might help her stop by November 5th (day after election).

Mikah Cerucco

Senior HTF Member
I wanted to see Fey/Palin after the debates, but I wanted it to be a short skit. I liked the redux performance, but I thought it ran a bit long.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maanw2357
Recent bookmarks