What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
It was like an older-style show, and that's a good thing. In the days of so, so many grim and gritty programs on TV, it is refreshing to see a more light-hearted show. The cast was good, although I suspect more of them will get fleshed out as time goes on. I hope the rumors of script problems with the series don't throw it off track. It had a nice start, and it will be interesting to see it get going.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
I thought it was decent, not great. Hoping to see it grow into its own thing as the season progresses. Interesting to see Extremis still in play. The Coulson thing is very interesting. So Coulson thinks that his death was faked by Fury, but he was lied to. I'm thinking Coulson really died and the man we see here is something else, an android perhaps? A clone? Its something that would be controversial to do and would be shocking to learn about yourself. I'm hoping that secret is teased a bit more throughout the season but is clearly explained by the end of the season.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The Coulson theories:
1. He is a clone fitted with the memories of Coulson a la Dollhouse2. He is an LMD (Life Model Decoy) of Coulson
It's apparent that Coulson is not the real Coulson. It's not like Joss to simply handwave his death like that.

It's interesting that after achieving initial success with the blonde Buffy Summers, Whedon works with an all brunette cast here. I am having a bit of difficulty immediately distinguishing the actresses from each other, especially when they're shot at angles that partially obscure their faces. Skye and Simmons could be sisters.

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
I found it a pleasant if unmemorable hour of action-based popcorn TV. Actually, Fitz and Simmons were my favorites because they were so geeky and don't care that they are. I liked Coulson's dry delivery. Typically for a Whedon show, the characters have the potential to grow into something fun with the quirky chemistry they share or can grow to share. The action was the forgettable stuff.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Hanson said:
It's apparent that Coulson is not the real Coulson. It's not like Joss to simply handwave his death like that.
I'd definitely say it's possible that Coulson is not the real Coulson. It's equally possible that it is the real Coulson, but that the price paid to resurrect him was greater than Coulson would have wanted in order to be saved. I agree 100 percent that his death won't just be handwaved away, but there's a lot of different ways for that price to be paid.Hollywood Reporter: "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. highest rated drama since 2009, highest rated premiere on any channel in four yearsOf the new shows that have premiered so far, came in second to "The Blacklist" in total viewers but scored a now-massive 4.6 rating in the coveted 18-49 demographic.

Scott McGillivray

Supporting Actor
I thought it was okay. I dont watch much network TV these days, so it was a happy surprise.

My complaint was that they did not include any well known Marvel heroes. Or, if they did, they were VERY obscure. I am fairly well versed in the Marvel universe and didnt recognize anyone. I was hoping for some of the more minor characters from The Avengers history or from the comic book SHIELD. However, all that may still be coming up.

I will stay tuned.

Quentin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Quentin H
I don't think a theory qualifies as a spoiler. That said, if Coulson is an android or something, could this possibly fold into the Ultron movie? Didn't Ultron create The Vision? I'm just speculating wild stuff.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Found this incredibly dull. Though I'm not a Whedon fan and didn't like the Avengers, I was looking forward to it. I'm leaning towards not even giving the next episode a chance. There was just nothing here I liked.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Greg_S_H said:
Found this incredibly dull. Though I'm not a Whedon fan and didn't like the Avengers, I was looking forward to it. I'm leaning towards not even giving the next episode a chance. There was just nothing here I liked.
I think the future of the Marvel universe may be rough for you. With Whedon orchestrating the script for Thor2 (including scene writes) and co-operating on the Captain America 2 plot outline, he pretty much controls the Marvel universe right now.

For those of us who were huge buffy/angel/firefly type fans, this is good. But I can grasp that others won't like it. That said, I don't see it changing anytime soon

TonyD

Who do we think I am?
Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tony D.
Richard V said:
Only one complaint, the Fitz-Simmons characters accents were so thick, I was tempted to turn on my TV's subtitles features. I could only understand about 50% of what they were saying. Anyone else have a hard time with this?
Me I also thought dialog was low so I had to turn up volume a bit. But this is an issue I always have with ABC and these hour long drama shows on abc. Lost might have been the worst. Low center channel and hard to understand.Anyway I liked this as a television show. I'm not going to compare it to any of the movies, its a entirely different thing.

Dheiner

Gazoo
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Dhein
Greg, I don't mean any offense, but if you did not like The Avengers, what comic book movies did you like?

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
Adam Lenhardt said:
I'd definitely say it's possible that Coulson is not the real Coulson. It's equally possible that it is the real Coulson, but that the price paid to resurrect him was greater than Coulson would have wanted in order to be saved. I agree 100 percent that his death won't just be handwaved away, but there's a lot of different ways for that price to be paid.

The only tease we got in the episode was the third time Coulson mentions Tahiti, the other characters (Fitz-Simmons?) exchange a look of "...If he's happy, why tell him?"
So, all we know is that he was....somewhere.

However, all this "season-arc mystery" crap is of absolutely no importance to me, the core Marvel-fan watcher, who knows that this entire series is just waiting to become the "Marvel Smallville", and will soon be used as nothing but a flimsy excuse to audition new hero cameos to show up in the MCU without the risk of film--So bring on Luke Cage and Ms. Marvel, Diz, you're not fooling anybody and we know it!! :D

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Huh. That was uninteresting. Not bad. But not good. Like a mediocre made-for-TV-movie.

I noticed several dialog snippets when the audio changed volume. It had a feel of hasty, last minute fixes.

My reaction was to delete the Tivo season pass and forget about it. But I'll give it another episode and see if it starts growing into itself.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Scott McGillivray said:
My complaint was that they did not include any well known Marvel heroes. Or, if they did, they were VERY obscure. I am fairly well versed in the Marvel universe and didnt recognize anyone. I was hoping for some of the more minor characters from The Avengers history or from the comic book SHIELD. However, all that may still be coming up.
I believe they may be under direction from Marvel to not include some more well known Marvel heroes. Check out this interview in the Hollywood Reporter - there are definitely certain things they cannot do - "mutant" is definitely off limits.

Ejanss

BANNED
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
EricJ
NeilO said:
I believe they may be under direction from Marvel to not include some more well known Marvel heroes. Check out this interview in the Hollywood Reporter - there are definitely certain things they cannot do - "mutant" is definitely off limits.
"We can solidly say we do not see any of the X-Men. That belongs to someone else."
Specifically, Fox, who has a jealously guarded lock on the last remaining hit Marvel franchise they still own and has now extended that ownership to ALL Mutants, in whatever comic they appear.
(Which led to some paternity suits between the two companies over how to classify the Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver, who happen to be the Mutant children of Magneto, and would therefore belong to Fox, despite being in the Avengers canon...)

Oh, and Sony still has a lock on Spiderman--So, even though Spidey and Wolverine sometimes hang out with the Avengers, they won't be doing it in Disney's movies.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
And they won't cannibalize any of their main franchises. So, you're going to have to have created from scratch situations that exist here.

Greg_S_H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Greg
Dheiner said:
Greg, I don't mean any offense, but if you did not like The Avengers, what comic book movies did you like?
I liked the Marvel movies, especially Iron Man and Thor. I like the first couple of Spider-Man movies, and was rather indifferent to the latest. No plans to see the next Spider-Man. I'm pretty much no longer a moviegoer at all, to be honest. TV covers me fine.

Parker Clack

Schizophrenic Man
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Parker
I felt is was ok. Not horrible and not fantastic. I was happy to see the Whedon touch of humor throughout.
I like the Fitz-Simmons combo. They will be a lot of fun as the series goes on.

I just hope it doesn't go the way of Heros and burn out too fast.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks