What's new

S.H.I.E.L.D. (Joss Whedon's Live Action Marvel Universe TV Series on ABC) (1 Viewer)

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
ABC aired their Fall TV Preview last night, and the final segment was about "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." It's very heavy on P.R. fluff, but there were some new bits:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Press release for the series premiere (airing two weeks from tonight!):
September 9, 2013

PREMIERE

AGENT PHIL COULSON IS BACK IN ACTION! THIS FALL HE ASSEMBLES A DEDICATED,
HIGHLY SELECT GROUP OF AGENTS FOR THE WORLDWIDE LAW-ENFORCEMENT AGENCY KNOWN AS S.H.I.E.L.D., WITH THEIR FIRST ASSIGNMENT TO TRACK DOWN AN ORDINARY MAN WITH EXTRAORDINARY POWERS - POWERS WHICH COULD HAVE DEVASTATING CONSEQUENCES -- ON THE PREMIERE OF ABC'S "MARVEL'S AGENTS OF S.H.I.E.L.D."

Joss Whedon, the creative genius behind the feature film "Marvel's The Avengers," one of the highest grossing films of all time, and of the iconic television series "Buffy The Vampire Slayer," has co-created "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," a dynamic, action-packed one-hour drama that brings back Agent Phil Coulson (Clark Gregg) to lead a team of highly skilled agents to investigate extra-normal and super human people and events worldwide. The series premieres TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 24 (8:00-9:01 p.m., ET), on the ABC Television Network.

These agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. have a mission: To investigate the new, the strange and the unknown around the globe, protecting the ordinary from the extraordinary.

In the premiere episode, "Pilot," it's just after the battle of New York, and now that the existence of super heroes and aliens has become public knowledge, the world is trying to come to grips with this new reality. Agent Phil Coulson is back in action and has his eye on a mysterious group called The Rising Tide. In order to track this unseen, unknown enemy, he has assembled a small, highly select group of Agents from the worldwide law-enforcement organization known as S.H.I.E.L.D. (Strategic Homeland Intervention Enforcement and Logistics Division). The group's first assignment together as a team finds them trying to track down an ordinary man who has gained extraordinary powers. Powers that could have devastating consequences.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." stars Clark Gregg as Agent Phil Coulson, Ming-Na Wen as Agent Melinda May, Brett Dalton as Agent Grant Ward, Chloe Bennet as Skye, Iain De Caestecker as Agent Leo Fitz and Elizabeth Henstridge as Agent Jemma Simmons.

Guest starring are J. August Richards as Mike, Shannon Lucio as Debbie, Ron Glass as Dr. Streiten and Bob Stephenson as Gary, with special guest star Cobie Smulders as Agent Maria Hill.

"Pilot" was written by Joss Whedon & Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen and directed by Joss Whedon.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," Marvel's first television series, was co-created by Joss Whedon, Jed Whedon & Maurissa Tancharoen ("Dollhouse," "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog"), who also serve as executive producers along with Jeph Loeb ("Smallville," "Lost," "Heroes") and Jeffrey Bell ("Angel," "Alias"). "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is produced by ABC Studios and Marvel Television.

"Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." is broadcast in 720 Progressive (720P), ABC's selected HDTV format with a 5.1 channel surround sound. This program carries a TV-PG,V parental guideline.

For more information on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.," visit ABC.com

Photography and video available at www.abcmedianet.com. Photo request line (818) 460-6611.

Follow us on: Facebook www.facebook.com/AgentsofSHIELD
Twitter @AgentsofSHIELD
@ABC_Publicity
ABC Media Relations: Janet Daily (818) 460-6456 [email protected] Jeff Fordis (818) 460-6676, [email protected]

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
Go, Marvel, Go!http://www.deadline.com/2013/09/marvel-developing-agent-carter-tv-series/
EXCLUSIVE: The “one shot” short films featured as extras on Marvel movies’ DVD releases are becoming a hotbed for TV series ideas. After one such short, Item 47 on The Avengers DVD about the agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., led to the new ABC/Marvel series, another one may also spawn a series project for ABC. Marvel is notoriously secretive about their development, and no one would comment, but I hear the company is working on a concept for a potential TV series inspired by Agent Carter, a one shot, which will be featured on the upcoming Blu-ray release of Iron Man 3. Directed by Marvel Studios co-president Louis D’Esposito, Agent Carter brings back Captain America’s girlfriend Peggy Carter, played by Hayley Atwell, and chronicles her life as a budding secret agent after her boyfriend is stranded in ice. I hear the project is in very early stages, one of several in the works at Marvel, and is in the process of locking in a writer. It is unclear if Atwell would reprise her role if Agent Carter comes to fruition. A Marvel action series with a female lead would fit right into ABC’s wheelhouse of female-skewing dramas with a strong lead and would be a throwback to such network series as Alias. The Iron Man 3 DVD with the Agent Carter short will be released next Tuesday, the same day Marvel’s first series for ABC, Marvel’s Agents Of S.H.I.E.L.D., debuts.

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
Directed by Marvel Studios co-president Louis D’Esposito, Agent Carter brings back Captain America’s girlfriend Peggy Carter, played by Hayley Atwell, and chronicles her life as a budding secret agent after her boyfriend is stranded in ice.
Oh! I would certainly watch this.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
ABC's full-court press continues ahead of tomorrow's premiere. "Good Morning America" had a tour of the show's one main standing set, the plane they use to fly from mystery to mystery:

Earlier this month, the show completed some second-unit shooting in Stockholm.

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
I have no major pre-conceptions about this show, at all. Avoided most of the promo stuff, with the exception of some of the commercials for it. So, I hope it'll be entertaining and not just genre fare.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
Yeah, this could be a lot of fun. Solid cast, drawing on a lot of Whedon favorites who seem to just have their way around his dialog, witty moments, solid effects.. this could be a home run

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
I knew it wasn't going to have anywhere near the scale of the Marvel movies, but to be honest with you I expected more of the polish of the Marvel movies than we got. While you could see that they put a crap load of money on the screen for this pilot, it was very rough around the edges in spots. Certainly not as polished as last night's "Blacklist" pilot. Much more old school television of the sort we would have gotten a decade or two ago.That being said, I had a grin on my face nearly the entire time. Clark Gregg is as terrific as ever in this role, with all of the facets of his character that we'd seen in the movies on full display here. I actually liked Maria Hill better here than in The Avengers; she was more flawed and human and less of a living breathing prop. The bit about the porcupine made me laugh out loud. I hope once How I Met Your Mother finishes up, she's able to appear more regularly.Of the new cast, the clear standout was Chloe Bennet as Skye. In the pilot, her character clearly had the most development of the team, and the way she used her bubbly effervescence to distract people from what she was really doing was an interesting turn. I'd seen her previously in a small supporting role on "Nashville", and she really surprised me here.I also loved Iain De Caestecker and Elizabeth Henstridge as Fitzsimmons. You feel their sort of brother/sister chemistry right off the bat, and I totally bought their inferred lengthy work history together. "Star Trek" proved that you can never go wrong with a Scottish engineer, and Henstridge manages to sidestep the Denise Richards/Christmas Jones syndrome as the drop dead gorgeous other half of the nerdy duo. Most female geeks in movies and television are fan-service, simply sticking beautiful women into normal geek attire. The Simmons character doesn't fall into that trap, instead being well-dressed but with more of an old-lady fashion sense.The two characters that worked the least for me were Ming-Na Wen's Melinda May and Brett Dalton's Grant Ward. Probably because they're the closest to traditional action hero superspies, and I've seen that enough times to be bored by it. Neither character popped like the others, and while Dalton is very handsome I'm not sure he has the charisma to be the team's James Bond stand-in.My overall impression is that this is a S.H.I.E.L.D.-sponsored "A-Team" with Agent Coulson as the team's Hannibal. If that's what we're in for, it's perfectly fine with me, because I Loved "The A-Team." I just hope they do more to differentiate May and Ward.EDIT: I hope Ron Glass's cameo isn't the last we see of him. I love that guy.

mattCR

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt
This is a stolen but very apt analogy: S.H.I.E.L.D. is a lot like Torchwood.. who saves us when the Doctor can't come? I liked that they use elements that had been addressed earlier and play them out.

NeilO

Senior HTF Member
Fun start to the series. Lots of references to make old comic fans smile. It will be interesting to see how the series develops over the season.

Walter Kittel

Senior HTF Member
One word to describe the first episode. Fun!!!!

Loved ever bit of Clark Gregg's time on the screen. Some pretty snappy dialog and just the perfect tone for this type of entertainment. Particularly liked Coulson's efforts to save Mike Peterson and the dialog between Coulson and Peterson at the Union Station. Nice use of the mural to visually reinforce the themes of the dialog. Really well done.

I hope that Cobie Smulders is available for more episodes and possibly becoming a regular when HIMYM ends this year. As someone else posted, this looks to be my new Alphas.

- Walter.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
eh, this certainly isn't in the caliber of stuff on Cable tv, the dialog is typical whedon, some of it cringe inducing. Despite the connection to the avengers I don't see this sticking around long, I'll watch a couple more but this did not grab me

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Dave Scarpa said:
eh, this certainly isn't in the caliber of stuff on Cable tv, the dialog is typical whedon, some of it cringe inducing. Despite the connection to the avengers I don't see this sticking around long, I'll watch a couple more but this did not grab me
You're not the target demographic! Being in the 8 o'clock timeslot it has a good chance of sticking around if the young people demographic latches on to it.

Richard V

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Richard
Only one complaint, the Fitz-Simmons characters accents were so thick, I was tempted to turn on my TV's subtitles features. I could only understand about 50% of what they were saying. Anyone else have a hard time with this?

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Richard V said:
Only one complaint, the Fitz-Simmons characters accents were so thick, I was tempted to turn on my TV's subtitles features. I could only understand about 50% of what they were saying. Anyone else have a hard time with this?
Not really, but I watch a lot of British television so I guess I'm just used to the accents by now.I would point out that a good chunk of their dialog was trading technobabble back and forth between each other, so I'm not really sure you're supposed to be able to understand more than the gist of that.

Hanson

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Hanson
The pilot reminded me of those Monster of the Week episodes of Angel that had a smattering of fun dialog but one too many fight scenes and a couple of scenes that felt like people standing around with their hands in their pockets waiting for the next fight scene. Hopefully, a more serialized focus with a big bad will make the show more watchable -- right now, it's like a good episode of Smallville, which another way of saying not very good.

All in all, disappointing.

rich_d

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Rich
Something like ... "He doesn't know about Tahiti?

"No and he never can."

I know that I'm not the target audience but ... if I'm any indication ... this crapfest has zero chance of moving past its target audience.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ertugrul
Recent bookmarks