What's new

Rumor: Mountain Lion Release Date July 19th (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
I know of no good reason to hold off at this time Carlo. That advice was sage in the past but really this is Lion with a few key twists including 'teh snappy'. I think the security updates are the most important thing in this release and honestly NOBODY is talking much about them except maybe Siracusa and those waiting for Apple to present at Black Hat on thursday.
Air Play Mirroring is neat, Notification Center is neat, but I don't think either are worth the enthusiasm that regular users seem to be attributing to this release. Seems over hyped =)

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Try playing Portal 2 on a 73-inch screen via AppleTV and AirPlay Mirroring, then you will be a believer. :)

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
If I can find a 500GB external that I'm not using, I may just do a CCC clone and try to install over the weekend. ;)
I've started using my Windows box for Pro Tools (which is my biggest no-no as far as OSX updates on release date) so hopefully all will go well.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
I have two of my machines up on Mountain Lion -- so far, a pure win -- everything works, and is snappier™, unlike Lion, which I held off upgrading to for nearly a year on my HT Mac (and with good reason -- loss of Front Row, EyeTV problems). Now I may end up upgrading to ML all my Macs on day 1.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Ok well I'm going to at least purchase it now, because while at work I have blazing fast internet so the download shouldn't take long. I'll hold off installing until I can do a CCC backup though. Burned once, twice shy, right? ;)
EDIT
Oh hey I just realized something, went to the App Store to buy and it only had a DOWNLOAD option. I guess because I was a part of the dev testing program it's free? I don't see an option to buy...if so, bonus! :)

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I'm waiting a bit. I'd probably do it pronto, but things are too busy right now to upgrade my two machines. And I should check reports on the Adobe compatibility.
And I've got to find time to read Siracusa's review!.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Darn it now you people got me excited to upgrade! I'm looking at Apple's support forums and Macrumors' forums looking for major showstoppers and none have been reported as of yet. I think Lion had problems reported later on for its release day, but I had already pulled the trigger on upgrading that morning. Well I won't get home for another hour or so, and it will take at least three hours to clone my 600GB (of data) drive so I won't be upgrading any earlier than 10 or 11PM tonight, so plenty of time for people to discover a reason for me to hold off... :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Downloading as we speak. Yea, i made sure my software was updated before the download, and i backed it all on my external drive.
Wish me luck!
Oh, and i hope this site doesn't get wonky after i am done! LOL

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
You may still need to update software after installing ML. Just run Mac App Store to see.

Ted Todorov

Senior HTF Member
Originally Posted by Steve Tannehill /t/321659/rumor-mountain-lion-release-date-july-19th/30#post_3953987
You may still need to update software after installing ML. Just run Mac App Store to see.
You definitely do: iWork, iPhoto, etc. get updated.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Steve Tannehill said:
Try playing Portal 2 on a 73-inch screen via AppleTV and AirPlay Mirroring, then you will be a believer. :)
It may look pretty but the input lag is a killer. You are 10x better off playing that particular game on PS3. YMMV on other games not available on Steam for OSX and PS3.

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
Must see video that walks you through how significantly file manipulation has changed:
http://www.macworld.com/article/1167892/up_close_with_mountain_lion_auto_save.html#lsrc=twt_macworld

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sam Posten said:
for the bajillionth time, there are no known issues with Adobe products in ML:
http://blogs.adobe.com/jnack/2012/07/adobe-cs-apps-mountain-lion-no-known-issues.html
Except for, you know, the million of "Dear Adobe this sucks" things. =) But nothing that is the OS's fault.
Also, since it's sure to be asked:
http://www.tuaw.com/2012/07/26/office-2011-mountain-lion-ready-says-microsoft/
Good. My wife is on CS5, so compatible.
I'm partway through the Siracusa review. ML really sounds nice, with a number of minor but attractive updates. Im most curious about the iCloud updates for iWork. The current system is lousy, but it sounds like its basically fixed.

Steve Tannehill

R.I.P - 4.28.2015
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Steve Tannehill
Sam Posten said:
It may look pretty but the input lag is a killer. You are 10x better off playing that particular game on PS3. YMMV on other games not available on Steam for OSX and PS3.
I don't have any games for the PS3. Can I download the PS3 versions of Portal/Portal 2 for free after paying for the Mac versions through Steam?

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
Well...Safari feels snappier! :P
On a serious note: so far, so good. I haven't tested everything, but everything I have run has worked (Word, Excel, Pages, Outlook, Safari, Chrome, Firefox, iTunes, MacMP3Gain, VLC, MPlayer, Witch, Lightroom 4, iCal). Haven't tested Logic Pro yet, but will try over the weekend.
Most important things so far: no crashes, no laggy behavior. In fact, the version of Safari that came with ML didn't hang like the new version of Safari that was just updated for Lion. I used that browser for about half a day before upgrading to ML and got the beach ball spinner many, many times. Safari in ML feels fast, even with the new graphics tweaks like the progress bar.
Now *this* is the Apple upgrade experience I remember from 10.4 to 10.5 to 10.6. For whatever reason the 10.6 to 10.7 was a complete fail for me, but now I'm back. And I know people like to criticize Vista as Windows 7 Beta, but with the solidness of 10.8 and the flakiness of 10.7.0 - 10.7.2, I think I'd consider Lion to be Mountain Lion Beta. :D

RickER

Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Rick
Everything seems to be running great.
But...
My screen seems stretched to tall.
I tried changing the resolution, but that's all it does, change resolution. No matter what size I try, everything is stretched a little to tall. Anything that should be circular looks oval, pics of people are tall and skinny. Any ideas?

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks