What's new

Rumor: Mountain Lion Release Date July 19th (1 Viewer)

Sam Posten

Premium
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Posten
RickER said:
Everything seems to be running great.
But...
My screen seems stretched to tall.
I tried changing the resolution, but that's all it does, change resolution. No matter what size I try, everything is stretched a little to tall. Anything that should be circular looks oval, pics of people are tall and skinny. Any ideas?
Do you have an external display connected? Like a projector or something? You aren't running Display Link are you?
http://www.displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1854

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
I just noticed my first minor hiccup in ML: Search on Outlook seems to be really slow. Granted I have a huge inbox (out of necessity for my job). But when I would do a search with a single parameter (say from a specific person) it was very fast in Lion (as recently as two days ago) when I would execute the search and considerably slower (like 10-20X) with a lot of spinning beach ball activity. And yes, Spotlight has finished indexing everything. Hopefully MS will issue a patch/update soon.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I couldn't help myself: I upgrade my MBP this afternoon.

I needed to take a weekend completely off, so I had time today for an upgrade. SuperDuper had ran last night on schedule, so I didn't have to spend much extra time on prep backups.

It took about 30 min to download and an hour to install.

At first galnce, there's little visibly different, save for Notications in the menu bar, and spotlight getting shoved over.

My first impression was not super positive, as a list of outdated calendar notifcations appeared, that I had to cancel. And then discovering that clicking a notification brings up iCal -- I'm a BusyCal user. So notifications might be a problem for me and my wife.

I've sent a Pages doc and a Numbers doc to iCloud. I need to check those on my iPad now. I'm excited about that. I've been manually fumbling with these to keep them synced back and forth. Having it just-work is why I upgraded.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
And...iCloud might be even more broken than it was before Mountain Lion. It seems to have munged my files so they're no longer accessible from OS X :(

Or something. It's confusing. Files aren't showing up in iOS. OS X can't delete an existing file. It's just not working right, and there aren't the normal file system tools to investigate via Finder, nor web tools to try and fix it like an online system.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I extracted a copy of the troublesome file, renamed it, and added it iCloud. Then I rebooted everything (Mac, ipad, iPhone). That seems to have fixed things.

Unfortunately, I find iCloud sharing of files in iWork to still very flawed. it's not trustworthy like a normal filesystem. And because the apps don't have feature parity between desktop and mobile, iOS apps ask me everytime if I want to make a copy and then warn me that features are stripped out...everytime I open a file. What a mess. I want a "Remember selection for file" so it will never ask me this again.

iCloud is still un-Apple like. it doesn't "just work" and constantly throws impediments at the user.

Carlo_M

Senior HTF Member
haha yeah and 10.8.2 was just seeded to developers, so hopefully not too long for that (but generally longer than the gap between .0 and .1).

Ronald Epstein

Founder
Owner
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Ronald Epstein
I believe they are rushing 10.8.2 out
to fix a major problem with boot up and
the Retina MacBook Pro. Got this from
an Apple Engineer who has been assisting
a few of us.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CoolMovies
Recent bookmarks