What's new

Rubbish sounding bass (1 Viewer)

Mark_walker2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Walker
I'm having trouble getting decent bass from my sub in the living room. I've tried it in different positions round the room, next to tv, in different corners etc. I get ok bass response but it sounds best in the room next door. It's a rectangular room with a small walkway to the kitchen/diner next door where the bass is tremendous and I can feel and hear deep bass notes. Anywhere in the living room sounds a bit pants... I have at annoy sfx 5.1 system, it's not top of the range or anything but it's half decent. Should I upgrade the sub?

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Yeah, you won't get much performance from an 8" driver, 100 watts, and a frequency response that only reaches 45 Hz.

What's your budget to replace it?

For $100, this Dayton is solid (there used to be a 12" version, but I can't find it on the site anymore).
For $200, the Bic F-12 is one of the best values out there.
For $300, the 12" Lava has a good reputation (I think you get a discount for mentioning your HTF membership which brings the cost below $300).

After those, the prices tend to jump a bit into the $500-700 range...

Jason Charlton

Ambassador
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jason Charlton
Also, to add - that Tannoy system is really not much to speak of (low efficiency, poor frequency response). Those satellite speakers only reach down to 140Hz (and that's at -6dB). Ideally, you should have overlap between the subwoofer and the mains. The Dayton only reaches 140, so it may not be the best match after all.

Both the Bic and Lava will reach 200Hz (getting that overlap) but keep in mind that if you really want the sub to play the low frequencies, you shouldn't be sending it too many high frequencies to play, too.

Eventually replacing those Tannoys would be a good idea. If small satellite speakers are a necessity, there are some better examples out there that will provide better performance and will blend better with whatever subwoofer you choose to get.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Don't think he's in the US.

Anyway...

I'd pick up a slightly larger pair of main speakers(something with at least a 5" driver) and a 10" "something" subwoofer.

Type A

HW Reviewer
Real Name
Ty
Welcome to the forum Mark. :)

Agree with the previous posts above. But I will add the question, hows your bass trapping in the room? Trapping the worst corners (though all corners are prefered) will give you tighter more defined performance instantly. By the sounds of your specs your little sub can use all the help it can get and that starts with doing basic room treatments.

Some light reading for you:

http://www.acousticfrontiers.com/whats-new/2011/2/9/the-secrets-of-bass-trap-placement.html
http://www.audioholics.com/room-acoustics/bass-traps-not-just-for-fisherman

Building DIY traps are easy and cheaper than manufactured. Get yourself a case of Rockwool or OC703 2"x4'x2' panels, spray adhesive and some fabric you like (and can breath through). Make a couple of 6" thick 2' x 4' panels for a couple of corners. Play some bass-heavy stuff in the room and walk into each corner, the strongest boom is where you want the first two panels. You can build traps with frames but Ive not found frames necessary if youre just placing them in the corners, search youtube for 'how to make bass traps' for ideas.

This would be a good start, getting a better sub would be my second goal.

Mark_walker2012

Auditioning
Real Name
Mark Walker
Thanks for your help. I am already upgrading front speakers for some decent ones so think a new sub will be next on the list.

Dave Moritz

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave Moritz
I would make the following recomendation if you keep your current sub or upgrade to a better one. If you have a long enough cable place the sub in your primary listening position. Then walk around the room till you find the spot where the base sounds the best, that is the location for your subwoofer. Since diferent subs are have different drivers and are tuned differently they create different long waves and along with the size of your room this will effect the spot where your sub will produce its deepest bass in relation to where you sit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks