What's new

RIP Peter O'Toole (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
I remember at the Oscars where he got a lifetime achievement oscar (ie. we snubbed you in the past but we think you're going to die soon) it was in the thick of the Iraq war (it may have been the same show where Michael Moore did his thing) he gave a very classy speech which appreciated the USA. Thought it was very cool. RIP

dana martin

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dana Martin
thank you for your amazing talent, the loss of an actual screen legend, rest in peace, and prayers for his family

Scott Merryfield

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Scott Merryfield
The terms "great" and "legend" are sometimes used too frivolously in our society. The words are definitely warranted in this case, though.

RIP, Mr. O'Toole.

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
For me, my all-time favorite role by Peter O'Toole was his role as Alan Swann in "My Favorite Year". I first saw it on TCM when I was 19 years old, and I enjoyed it. O'Toole gave a hilarious performance, yet it was sad at times as well, particularly when Swann looked at his young daughter from a distance, afraid to speak to her. It's too bad that O'Toole never won a competitive Oscar...At least they were able to give him an honorary one.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

On a related note, one Christmas Eve at a cousin's house, we were watching "Jeopardy", and there was a question about "My Favorite Year". I answered it. I believe it was related to the line "I'm not an actor...I'm a movie star!".

Malcolm Bmoor

Second Unit
Real Name
Malcolm Blackmoor
Without wishing to be mean spirited but in the interests of accuracy, whoever wrote 'Often called the Hamlet of his generation,' knows not of what he speaks.

This forum is concerned with films but this quote reveals the writer's ignorance of the stage.

Peter O'Toole had a major stage reputation, both before & after his film career began. His work for the early RSC, including SHYLOCK, was received with awe. His reputation was developing as one of the first new leading actors in Peter Hall's company, following his initial impact at The Bristol Old Vic, when he became for some years primarily a film actor.

He played Hamlet in the opening production of The National Theatre, 50 years ago, between filming LOA & LORD JIM. It was an unhappy experience for all involved, especially for his director Sir Lawrence Olivier, and Mr O'Toole's life style was not helpful. There were less than two dozen performances and he never returned to the NT.

So with all due respect to Peter O'Toole he was most certainly not the HAMLET of his or anybody else's generation.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks