What's new

Replacement lamp too expensive, time to upgrade to new projector! (1 Viewer)

brothepro

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
I don't think I would term myself a "newbie" but this is my first post to this forum. Here's my situation. I obtained my first home theatre system in 2009 when I bought a new house. The HT consists of a Yamaha DPX 1000 projector which I understand retailed at $13,000 or so when purchased. About 12 months ago, I received a the "time to replace your lamp" warning. After seeing the price for a new lamp at about $800, went on Ebay and bought one for about $600. The lamp came in a authentic Yamaha box (japanese language and all) and I easily followed the instructions to replace the lamp without even removing from the ceiling mount. Turned it on and all seemed good for about 2 hours or so, and then the red light started to flash and boom! shutdown city!!! Contacted company who sold me product, they would have nothing to do with it as their policy is if you open the box, you buy it! Yamaha recommended cleaning filter etc..., but still no luck. As chance would have it, I put in the old lamp, and it worked fine. that's when I found the "lamp reset" control. I know I shouldn't have, but I said, what the hell, I'll run this thing until it burns out. Well, it went another 2000 hours, but finally reached its end. So now, I'm thinking 1) I need to go straight to Yamaha for new bulb ($850) or 2) Why not buy a new projector with HDMI input (DPX 1000 has only component or DVI) and potentially, one with 3D capability. This is where my "newbiness" kicks in. Quick facts: 1) HT is in basement but not completely enclosed. Windows on one side effectively blocked out with thick black velvet curtains 2) Screen is about 105" 3) Ceiling mounted with 7 zone surround sound My questions are as follows: 1) Seems as if Epson and Optoma offer high quality 2D and 3D projectors for under $2,000. But now I am also seeing the Sony SDRX technology and JVC. Are Sony and JVC the new "Cadillac" of projectos? 2) Thoughts on 3D projectors? Is it really worth it at this stage? 3) Is it possible to get a high quality 2D projector for under $1,000? 4) Is it safe to buy from any of these electronics websites, or preferable to go to Big Box stores or boutiques? Thanks for any help you can provide! I need to make a decision so I can see my sports/movies again on the big screen!!! I've been spoiled.:(:confused:

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
I would say it's time to replace the projector. For a bit over $1000 you can get get a full 1080p projector that is brighter. This Epson below is not the latest and greatest, but it's a great projector at a great price http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/jsp/Product.do?BV_UseBVCookie=yes&sku=V11H336120-N The Epson 8350 is the current model and would still be under $1500

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
I've never heard of a bulb costing $800. The average is about $300. Anyway, I would buy a new projector. 1) JVC are the "Cadillac" of projectors. Sony doesn't even come close. 2) Don't know enough to comment on 3D. 3) Quality entry level, Yes. Do you want LCD or DLP? 4) It's safe to buy online, but make sure you buy from an authorized dealer. I highly recommend Projector People

smithb

Screenwriter
Real Name
Brad Smith
Doing a quick search on Google I found that Yamaha sells a replacement bulb for that projector @ $600, but a few other places have it discounted @ around $200. Bulbs have gone down in price it seems. The last one I bought for a similar projector (Sharp Z10000) went for $650 retail and I paid $550 discounted (about 4 years ago). Now the same bulb can be had for $350. But to your question, I would still look to a new projector. The Yamaha is similar to my old Sharp in many ways (720p DLP w/DVI). After 5 years my Sharp started to make a whining sound caused by the color wheel. Too fix it would be $600 for a projector no longer worth more then a $1000. Your Yamaha is based on the same color wheel concept. Then there is also the DVI and 720p capabilities that have been surpassed by HDMI and 1080p. The good news is that a $10,000 projector from 8 years ago can be bested by a $3000 projector of today. Panasonic and Epson have popular models these days. The main lesson I learned was to not over spend on the technology, since it continues to improve and depreciates very quickly. Assume the possibility of replacing in 5 years and budge accordingly. Also, since it is a pre-existing setup, hopefully it will be easy to add new cabling to support HDMI.

Mr645

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Jon
FYI Sony is getting ready to release consumer 4xHD projectors and upscaling BR players. Im sure the new projectors will be costly and awesome, although without 4xHD software, I'm not sure if there is any real value to them

camroncamera

Auditioning
Real Name
Camron
Projectors are not my expertise, but the following press release may sound interesting for those in the market for a new projector: http://www.prweb.com/releases/2011/12/prweb9067915.htm Bulb replacement costs are supposed to be exceptionally reasonable due to usage of non-proprietary bulbs. Disclaimer: I have no affiliation with this start-up company other than discovering them via a fiend-of-a-friend in the post industry through facebook.

brothepro

Auditioning
Real Name
Brian
Some excellent and timely feedback, props to all!! Some updated full disclosure, I checked back and the price I paid about 14 mo's ago was $675 not $800. Just looked it up on Yamaha website and verified the MSRP is now $599. Also saw it advertised for $299 with a 6 mo. warranty for $59. The bulb by the way is a PJL 327 and comes with the entire cartridge. Perhaps that is why it is so expensive. Mr645, thanks for the link to Epson. I don't think I'll be buying re-furbished, but the 8350 is the one I have been eyeing. Btw, JVC definitely seems to be the Cadillac, but per Smithb's advice, I think I'm going to wait on the technology for 3-5 yrs before going top drawer again, same thing for the 3D projector. Just a couple more questions, if you don't mind: 1) How important is the "contrast ratio"? I watch sports and movies on my projector and as noted before, during the daytime, my black, velvet curtains do a decent job of cutting out the light, but not as good as enclosed by 4 walls. Is this the metric I should use to determine how sharp the picture will be despite a little sunlight? 2) Also, Smithb brings up a good point that I have been thinking about for some time. Changing the cabling from component to HDMI. The cables go directly into drywalled ceiling above the projector through about a 2-3" opening and drop down about 10 ft away through a built in shelving unit where the receiver is located. I intend on attaching the HDMI cable to the component cables and simply pulling it through from where the receiver is located. Thoughts? 3) I was under the impression that LCD technology is superior to DLP. However, after reading through some forums on this site, I am now becoming confused again. Thoughts/preferences? 4) It would seem that the consensus for the $1,000 to $3,000 budget is Epson. Has anyone had any experience with Optoma? Also, any other spec details I should pay attention to when buying? Thanks again for the great responses and advice!!! :cool:

Jim Mcc

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jim
1) The contrast ratio is the most overrated, useless, lied about spec by manufacturers. The only contrast spec that matters is the ANSI contrast ratio after calibration. This is listed in most projector reviews. 2) It sounds like it should work. Tape the ends good with electrical tape before pulling. 3) Neither is superior, it depends on your room and the look you prefer. I definitely prefer DLP. LCD's advantages are the longer zoom range and lens shift. You may or may not need either of these. 4) Epson and Panasonic are very popular LCD projectors. I highly recommend Mitsubishi if you want DLP.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks