What's new

Ren and Stimpy advance reviews (1 Viewer)

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
Well my order had already shipped from Deep Discount when I found out the news. Im am defintiely peeved about this, and wrote the first nasty review on amazon. I actually think my review prompted John to write aobut amazon reviews. After getting over my rage, I realized that this is still a good set for almost anyone except the hardcore fan. I am a hardcore fan, my VHS tapes are all messed up. This was going to be a must buy regardless. I do remember seeing that word "uncut" and thinking to myself "FINALLY", and now my expectations have completely dropped. Now I find out Best Buy is offering a Bonus Disc with two more episodes. This has gotten me pissed off again, but I'll live with it. I was really only a fan of the John K stuff, and I believe season 3 was sans John K. Regardless I will be contacting Paramount and begging for some sort of correction disc, will this happen, who knows. I just hope that paramount doesn't release a whole new set with all the seasons truely un-cut forcing me to spend more money. Im looking forward to watching some of my favorites on this set. Luckily none of these cuts really upset me too much besides the Bloody head scene, and the missing toothache footage. Im just glad Space Madness or Stimpy's Big Day haven't been altered, overall I'll just settle for now and hope for the future.

John*P

Second Unit
For the person who referred to boycotting this set on principle as "pointless martyrdom", let me tell you there is more to my decision to not purchase it...

Take my Alf: Season 1 DVD set for example. I bought that set knowing full well that the episodes were the syndication edits as opposed to the original NBC versions, yet I bought it anyway. Alf was my favorite childhood show, and I still love it today, so there was no way I wasn't buying that set, especially since Alf isn't currently airing on TV. Well, I've had the set since early August...and yet I haven't even considered watching it yet. The fact that the episodes are syndication edits completely sours me on the set, and its been sitting on the shelf since I got it. (if the eps were indeed uncut, I would've had that whole set watched within a week of owning it) It would probably be the same if I bought Ren & Stimpy...when I learned that some of the episodes were edited regardless of the "UNCUT" on the cover, it completely turned me off from the set altogether. The set is incomplete. Paramount isn't selling what they're advertising. I'm not going to spend $30 or so for this set, only to have it collect dust on my shelf, as I have better-quality, uncut DVD sets that I actually look forward to watching.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
It's going to be hard to resist tomorrow. I still can't believe that Paramount is going to release it tomorrow even though it is falsely advertised and they are setting themselves up for a shitstorm. They recalled the latest Star Trek film because the packaging indicated a trailer that was not actually on the set. That seems alot more minor than this.

WillardK

Second Unit
John*P... I'm not familiar with the Alf set, so I cannot comment on that.

As I understand it, your enjoyment of the 27 officially uncut shorts will be ruined since they share the same digital space with the 5 (allegedly) edited shorts. That's absurd. It's like the comparison made between this set and a cut Jaws (apples and oranges). Unless you value the set as a collectors' object over the actual contents, you will realize that there is plenty to enjoy. Forest from the trees.

If those particular 5 shorts are of relatively greater importance to you than the 27 others plus extras and the edits ruin your enjoyment of them, I can understand a fan not wanting this set. Otherwise I think you are doing yourself a disservice.

Should I post about how much fun the set is when it arrives this week?

Jeff D Han

Supporting Actor
I wish to thank this thread starter, and all of the responses.

I ordered this set from Amazon, but I will return it
unopened. I will write a letter to Paramount and tell
them about their false advertising.

Us DVD movie and TV show fans deserve to be treated
with respect from the studios, not get told lies
and have our money taken under false pretenses.

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

Why is it so important for you to bash those who choose not to buy this set? No one is telling you not to buy it.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Well I broke down and ordered it from Best Buy with the bonus disk. I'm hoping that between this set and my time life Disks I can assemble the 5 cut shows.

WillardK

Second Unit
In his statment, John K. very clearly said,

He also stated that he will look further into the matter.

Jack, I'm not bashing anyone. Teasing a little, yes. I know I know, what's the fun in martrydom if it's not self-inflicted?

Here's another review, from Digitally Obsessed

soop.spoon

Supporting Actor

Thank you once again for elevating the discourse with spiteful sarcasm.

Some people choose to buy this set, some don't. It's as simple as that. No one is vying for martyrdom... that ugly word is being unfairly assigned to too many forum members.

It's only a DVD for f*&%s sake.

Mike!S

Stunt Coordinator
The thought of watching these tonight and laughing my arse off, has completely made me forget about the cuts. I can't wait to watch these babies.

Casey Trowbridg

Senior HTF Member

I'm quoting this again to say fine...but that still doesn't explain the presence of the word "uncut" on the package.

Simple fact is that Paramount is advertising something it is clear they are not delivering. I am not going to reward them for this practice. With Ren and Stimpy, to me it is almost like they use the word "uncut" to attract attention much in the way "unrated" is used on a lot of DVDs of movies.

The only difference is that in this case, the word is being used to draw attention to the shows...get the people who used to watch this show going "Gee, I wonder what was cut from this show when it first aired? It will be great to own the DVDs and find out." Accept...it is not uncut...and the kicker is that some of the missing footage...aired on Nickelodeon.

I also agree with Jack, if you want to buy the set, nobody is telling you that you shouldn't, nobody is calling you a bad person for doing so, nobody is doing anything like that. How about extending the same respect to those of us that are not buying the set and are giving perfectly valid reasons for doing so. You may not like our reasons, you may not agree with our reasons, but our reasons do not become invalid simply because you disagree with them. Don't try and come in to this thread, and essentually tell us that because this is not a big deal to you, that this should not be a big deal to us You are trying to impose your standards for DVD buying on to other people, and that is hardly fair.

None of the people that are avoiding this set are calling those that do buy it a puppet of the coorperate machine.

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator
May I play devil's advocate here? I know I'll probably be laughed at for this comment, but, in looking at the set, it doesn't say anywhere on the box that the show is completely uncut. It says "Ren and Stimpy - Uncut". Which it provides - apparently at least 27 episodes worth. I know that seems silly, but, it's good enough for me, because I have no idea where else I could get those 27 episodes uncut. Again - I think it's a wrong thing to do, but seemingly a forgivable oversight nonetheless.

Michael St. Clair

Senior HTF Member
I'm not going to rip off my nose with a belt sander just to spite my face.

My enjoyment is more important than 'sending a message'. And I'll enjoy the hell out of this set.

$28 for 27 uncensored Ren & Stimpy episodes? Including "Man's Best Friend", "Powdered Toast Man" with the constitution, and the original, theatrical (festival) edit of "Big House Blues"?

Sign me up!

WillardK

Second Unit
Can't all the puppets and martyrs just get along?

Jason, it's been suggested that the set should have been labeled "Director's Cut." If John K. himself approved these versions, that does provide a clue as to how significant the edits in question are. One of them has already been noted as a correction to a Nick change (whistling grandpa). The full story seems to be a little more complicated than it appears at first, and I'm interested in reading whatever additional statements come from John K. or Paramount. But in the meantime, I'm convinced both that if the 'errors' were avoidable we will hear about it and that the set is worth getting regardless.

Dave Scarpa

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
David Scarpa
Reading over at DVD Obsessed that some of the shows have the Spike TV "Ren and Stimpy Classics" Card means that these are the versions packaged for Spike TV and not the Nick originals. I read one review that said they have the fade up and down's where spike inserted extra commercials I'd like to know if this is true. I still have the set coming but I don't see what would've been so hard about going back to the original masters

JasonJason

Stunt Coordinator

I would have to agree with you on that. But, I'm sure it was more of an oversight than the fraudulent thing that many are making it out to be. And you're right - the set is worth getting regardless. I've already watched a couple of eps that I haven't seen in years with a huge childlike grin on my face!

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks