What's new

Recommendations for 4k UHD DVD players (1 Viewer)

Psychopasta

Agent
Real Name
Mark Nicholson
Hi Guys,

The plans for my home theater room are shaping up nicely, and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for a 4k UHD DVD player.

I'll be using a LG AU810PB 4K UHD CineBeam Projector as the source.

- Mark

Clinton McClure

Rocket Science Department
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Clint
The three best on the market (in my opinion anyway) are:

Panasonic DP-UB420-K : Best bang for the buck UHD BD player but lacks Dolby Vision support (I personally use one in my HT)
Panasonic DP-UB820-K : More expensive but adds Dolby Vision support and a few other things
Panasonic DP-UB9000 : The end-all, be-all flagship UHD BD player

There are some who like the Sony line of UHD BD players but the ones that support Dolby Vision require the user to access a menu to enable Dolby Vision, whereas the Panasonics default to it automatically if it is present on the disc.

Todd Erwin

Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Todd Erwin
There are some who like the Sony line of UHD BD players but the ones that support Dolby Vision require the user to access a menu to enable Dolby Vision, whereas the Panasonics default to it automatically if it is present on the disc.
As @JohnRice pointed out, the OP is using an LG CineBeam projector, so Dolby Vision is not required. If you want to save some money, the Sony UBP-X800-M2 is usually around $250 and is a very solid-built machine. It also plays SACD and DVD-Audio. Not to knock the Panasonics - they are good players, too.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Yeah, I'd probably just save $ and go w/ the Panny 420 if I were you -- and yes, that's what I did as well for my FP setup -- unless there's another unexpectedly great deal on the 820 like when it briefly dropped down to ~$350(?) a few months back IIRC.

Too bad the 420 doesn't seem to get discounted as much these days as when it originally came out ~3.5 years ago -- I paid ~$150 for mine back then.

And yes, the Sony X800 Mk2 is probably worth considering too, especially since it doesn't cost much more than the Panny 420 right now and would include DV (and SACD) support...

_Man_

riksco

Auditioning
Real Name
Rick Scoginn
Thanks Clinton! I like the sound on the Panasonic DP-UB820-K
I
Hi Guys,

The plans for my home theater room are shaping up nicely, and I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for a 4k UHD DVD player.

I'll be using a LG AU810PB 4K UHD CineBeam Projector as the source.

- Mark
The three best on the market (in my opinion anyway) are:

Panasonic DP-UB420-K : Best bang for the buck UHD BD player but lacks Dolby Vision support (I personally use one in my HT)
Panasonic DP-UB820-K : More expensive but adds Dolby Vision support and a few other things
Panasonic DP-UB9000 : The end-all, be-all flagship UHD BD player

I have the 820. Upgraded from a Sony without Dolby Vision. The Panasonic has more tweaks and adjustments available than I use but it’s great to have them if you need them. Picture and sound are outstanding. I’m using with a Sony OLED and could not be happier.

Malcolm R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Malcolm
I've had the Pan 420 for a couple years and it's been problem-free.

Prior to that I had a Samsung 4K player that had a number of glitches.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks