What's new

Sony versus LG upscaling and the Sony BDP-S6700 4K Blu-ray player? (1 Viewer)

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
There does not appear to be a forum here that discusses the effect on hardware on screen image but disc quality is discussed extensively. I have an LG B8 4K OLED, a BDP-S1700 2K player and a Seiki SR4KP1 4K multi-region player. I recently experimented with the SR4KP1 output resolution (2060P vs 1080P) when upscaling a PAL DVD and there was a noticeable improvement at 2060P. Would this also be true for my NTSC DVDs played on the the S6700 vs the S1700?

The opinion online is that Sony TVs upscale lower resolution sources better than LG. Does Sony employ the same algorithms in their TVs and players? The algorithms do make a difference. I compared a DVP-S710 to a BDP-S360 (both set to 480p) and the S360 had a smoother lower noise image.

I have seen a lot of criticism online of the build quality of the S6700, would owners here recommend the S6700 based on their experiences? Has anyone purchased one recently and can comment on quality? My S1700 has been trouble free. The player will not be used for streaming. I have no interest in UHD.

All brands of UHD players have issues perhaps in a few years things will improve. Until then I'd like the best possible image from my DVDs and Blu-rays.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
I have my all region Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S1100 hooked up to my Sony X900G and it plays my PAL dvd's just fine and on the tv settings you can make the adjustments on the picture.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I have my all region Sony Blu-ray player BDP-S1100 hooked up to my Sony X900G and it plays my PAL dvd's just fine and on the tv settings you can make the adjustments on the picture.

Thanks for your reply. I assume in your setup DVDs are upscaled from 480 to 1080p in the player then to 2160p in the TV. As an experiment, you could try setting the player to 480 and see if the TV does a better job of upscaling an NTSC DVD then publish your impressions here.

It is generally better to upscale directly from 480 to 2160p as would happen if I used the BDP-S6700 4K player.

Angelo Colombus

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Angelo Colombus
Thanks for your reply. I assume in your setup DVDs are upscaled from 480 to 1080p in the player then to 2160p in the TV. As an experiment, you could try setting the player to 480 and see if the TV does a better job of upscaling an NTSC DVD then publish your impressions here.

It is generally better to upscale directly from 480 to 2160p as would happen if I used the BDP-S6700 4K player.
I just changed the player's picture setting to 480 and the image looked worse and blurry. I changed it back to "auto" and looks much better.

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
I just changed the player's picture setting to 480 and the image looked worse and blurry. I changed it back to "auto" and looks much better.

Interesting, that is the opposite of what you'd expect based on traditional advice. Assuming the same DVD was used, it implies two step upscaling is better than single step, I wonder what is going on?

Are their any BDP-S6700 owners out their that can relay their experiences?

Bartman

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Trevor Bartram
The BDP-S6700 was $10 off yesterday (Prime Day), so I ordered it and it arrived this morning. I compared the S1700 and S6700 video and there is less (allmost no) ringing on a 480p source. How can I tell? There is no haloing around or change in luminance across white title characters. Interestingly, I got similar performance from an old DVP-S710 DVD player set to 480p however there was more noise (grain) and colors were punchier (probably not accurate). The S6700 is slightly wider than the S1700 but luckily it fits in the old location.

The S6700 4K OUTPUT setting has two options AUTO1 & AUTO2 and they are not described in the manual. Searching online it turns out the default AUTO1 should only be used with Sony equipment (otherwise the player defaults to 2K, duh), AUTO2 with other brands.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nicos18
Recent bookmarks