What's new

Recommendations for 30-50ft component cables (1 Viewer)

Erik J. B.

Grip
Well, I'll second Blue Jeans Cable again. 30' is $110. 50' is $170. That's a pretty penny, but that's a long run. I wouldn't go "too" cheap for that long.

ChadLB

Screenwriter
What is the difference between the Belden 7710A, Belden 1694A and the Belden 1505F?

JohnMW

Second Unit
Real Name
John
7710a is the 3 colored cable version of the 1694a cable. It is RG6, solid core, and good for long runs (what you want).

The 1505F is RG59 with a stranded core and good for short runs (not what you want).

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
50 feet is not a great distance except to the homeowner. it's pretty much irrelevant what your TV is as it's your DVD player that is bandwidth constrained. So RG6, RG59, and even thinner center conductors will perform adequately. A single center conductor, expecially on RG6 is not the most flexible material out there so stranded center conductors have much have a significant advantage when making bends. This place has a 50 foot 75 ohm component for $68. OTOH, you could always buy a 100 foot spool and some crimp on connectors and roll your own.
For example, let's consider Belden 8281B, an RG59. At 100 feet, you're down 0.78 dB at 10 MHz and the luminance loss is 0.33 dB up to 5 MHz. Trivial really and nothing that can't be rectified with a minor TV adjustment.

TomK

Stunt Coordinator
I'd like to ask a question here too. I'm looking at creating my own video and audio wiring because I need to relocate most of my equipment to an adjoining room that's about 25 feet away. I'm looking at two possible candidates to do the job. First, for video, the Canare V-5CFB that is a 5 channel solid core wire contained in a outer jacket with crimp on connections.
Second, for audio, also from Canare, is the Canare Star Quad multichannel snake cable which is available in 8 different of channels all contained in an outer jacket.

So here is the major purpose. To have one audio wire, with all channels, from my DVD-Audio player to my Sony TAP9000es switcher and one audio wire, with all channels from my SACD player to the same switcher. So will the Star Quad L4E4AT work for audio? Will the work for HD and progressive video?
I’m not an electrical engineer and am not sure about the conductive properties for these cables. So if I put the appropriate RCA connectors on, will these wires work with no appreciable data loss?

Here are some links:

Canare V5CFB

Canare L4E4AT

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Chu thanks for the link looks like a good possibility....this will be for my new Sanyo Z1 that I got today.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
As always check their return policy. BTW, I've nothing against the custom places like Blue Jeans, it's just that you tossed in a ceiling. They are pretty nice people (yeah, I said something nice...get over it already!).
IOW, if you want to overspec the situation, then knock yourself out but it's not necessary.

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
will the Star Quad L4E4AT work for audio? Will the work for HD and progressive video?
I assume you ment to say:

Will the V5CFB work for video?

Yes, but why use 5 channel cable when you only need 3 for component video? While it will work, the cable is going to be very stiff and hard to work with. (I have even gotten complaints about the 3 channel version being to thick/heavy/stiff.)

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
The V5CFB is fairly stiff, but workable. I use a length of V5CFB to combine 2 cables into one (Component video from receiver to tv, and analog audio from tv to receiver). It's also great for connecting a 5ch amp to a receiver. It's intended broadcast purpose is RGBHV cable (usually w/ BNC connectors).

ChadLB

Screenwriter
Well I am not sure on length yet so I am not going to buy 50ft if I don't need it. I should know more this weekend as I got my Sanyo Z1 yesterday and will hopefully figure out where to mount it tonight.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
For longer lengths as you're looking at, I'd prefer the one from Triangle as it's RG59. The Mogami material (a well known brand) is significantly thinner but would serve well for shorter lengths either as video cable, digital coax, interconnects, etc. Nice job finding better prices.

Matt_Doug

Stunt Coordinator
How 'bout www.zaolla.com. $666 at www.macmidimusic.com for a 50ft run of these solid core silver, heavily shielded component cables. I could never aford these and the specs are overkill for their intended use but it would make a good converstation piece at your next dinner party :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks