What's new
World Wide Stereo

Receiver Upgrade Assistance Please (1 Viewer)

SparkyY

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Hello, I have an old Kenwood home theater in a box HTB-204 from around 2001. The components of the HTB-204 are: - A Kenwood VR-505 receiver - A set of Kenwood KS-205HT speakers - An unremarkable passive subwoofer I've replaced with a Sony SA-WM40 And my TV is a Sharp LC46D64U. I'm finding that while the sound is fine (if it's horrid I'm not enough of an audio connoisseur to know the difference), the lack of digital inputs on the receiver is beginning to become very annoying when I want to attach additional digital devices, so I'd like to replace the receiver. My setup is the above components plus: Sources: - DirecTV HR-20, HDMI (primary use, currently using the Toslink connection on the VR-505) - Nintendo Wii, R/W/Y Composite (kids and their Mario Kart Wii) - PlayStation 2, R/W/Y Composite, Toslink digital optical (the only DVD player in the house) - Computer, occasionally. Depending on which computer it's either:   - Mini DVI->DVI->HDMI + 3.5mm analog headphone->R/W composite _or_ mini Toslink->Toslink   - Mini DisplayPort->HDMI + 3.5mm analog headphone->R/W composite _or_ mini Toslink->Toslink   I hope these are replaced by.... - (Planned) Apple TV, HDMI (+Toslink? Only if I can't get TV-less music playthrough to work) One other item of note is that I semi-regularly play music from the DirecTV receiver and turn off the TV (the DirecTV receiver continues to feed the VR-505 via Toslink). I'd like to retain this feature for both the DirecTV receiver as well as the Apple TV, and only mention it because I'm not sure if the HDMI handshaking involved will tolerate the TV being turned off. I'm not sure how much attention I need to pay to the wattage output of the receiver. I'm not going to be shaking the walls of the house, since this setup is mainly used for watching TV and the occasional movie. However I don't want to damage the speakers from either too much or too little power. Possible Replacements: - Onkyo TX-SR313, Amazon $189 Confused by the output power specs--I'm not sure if this receiver has enough wattage, but then again I don't know if I need the wattage. - Onkyo TX-NR414, Amazon $199 Also confused about the output power specs. However for $10 more this adds the ability to control it from an iPad/iPhone. - Yamaha RX-V375, Amazon $249 Concern the center and rear speakers (60W maximum, 100W peak) could be damaged by the receiver (100W/channel). - Yamaha RX-V473, Amazon $289 This receiver goes to 115W/channel, which may be more dangerous than the above Yamaha receiver. But if it's ok it adds in the ability to control it from an iPhone/iPad for $40 more. Or is there another receiver I should consider? Thanks!

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Go straight to the NR515. It has HDMI upconversion that you need. Yes the toslink needs ran for the Directv radio stations, as you are correct the HDMI doesn't like "just audio". Also ignore the power ratings. They are meaningless.

SparkyY

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
Double-checking, upconversion will take the analog inputs (Wii, PS2) and convert them to a digital output that will be sent out via the HDMI port?

NickSI

Stunt Coordinator
schan1269 said:
Also ignore the power ratings. They are meaningless.
I think this is the most useful piece of consumer advice that anyone shopping for a HT could get.

SparkyY

Auditioning
Real Name
Patrick
FYI I ordered the TX-NR515. I noticed today that the TX-NR525 was announced, which seems to be a less-capable device (7.2 vs. 5.1, no Analog To HDMI upconversion). Granted it's $50 less MSRP, but seems to be quite a hit featurewise.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I haven't checked this years yet...but Last year the 414 replaced the 509 and 515 replaced the 609. It is possible the numbers reverted back, so the 515 is replaced by the 626.

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
I just looked at the 727 as well... Say it isnt so... Onkyo taking a page out of the Denon playbook. Folks, time to buy up the 616 and 717... What a letdown. The 727 doesn't even have preouts...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cassidylhorne
Recent bookmarks