What's new

Need help - overwhelmed on big purchase decisions (1 Viewer)

ZenOhSix

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
Howdy all!

It has been years since I have upgraded any of my home theater / television setup. I am currently running on a Mitsubishi 65" Diamond projection TV, a 1/2 way broken Yamaha receiver, and Boston Acoustics bookshelf style speakers + PV600 sub. I am going to upgrade, but need major help. Analysis paralysis is killing me, and I need some direct feedback based on my room, etc.

I need assistance with the sound equipment.

Please help!?

Room:
Basement entertainment room. It is a 12'.2" x 26' base room that "L" shapes off to a small hallway that leads to a bathroom and office. The main carpeted area is 12'x15'. There is a wet bar with tile that takes up the back 10' of the room (with cabinets, sink, etc). In the walls are pre-wired audio cable that allows for a receiver up front and connections to high-wall placement for a Front, Right, Rear Left, and Rear Right. These mounts are on the 4 corners of the 12'x15' carpeted area.

TV:
I have purchased a Samsung 75" UN74F8000 LED/LCD TV for the room.

Audio:
Need help! Due to the wiring setup, I am going with a 5.1 setup. I need the following:
- Receiver
- Front Speakers
- Center Speaker
- Rear Speakers
- Sub
- BlueRay player

Budget:
Would like to be around $3,000.00 - $3,500.00 for the hardware.

Other info:
- I need a stand of some sort for the TV, receiver, center channel.
- I also don't mind Floor standing front tower speakers (don't have to use the high wall mounts).
- I want hardwired speakers (no WiFi), unless someone can tell me why it would be worth hanging extension cords for the rear speakers.

Purpose:
- I watch BlueRay Movies.
- I stream NetFlix / Hulu+
- I watch live action sports and Cable TV shows.
- I like to watch action movies loud and feel like I am in the movie.

I have talked to random people, and have been told to go the Paradigm Studio 60 Fronts / CC590 Center / ADP590 rears; that gets expensive fast. Is it worth it for my needs? I am not some audio geek that even knows the sound difference between a mid high, mid low, etc. Things go boom, and I want to be in the movies if I can.. :)

If you had a $3k to $3.5k check for this hardware on a room like I described, what would you buy and why? I would like to purchase on Monday, but don't know what to do.
Thanks,
Mike

ZenOhSix

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
Why not get a 7.1 and utilize DPL IIz/DSX?
If you choose that, it makes your choices simpler.
I am open for anything. I am going to google what you wrote after I hit reply here. The reason why I was limiting it to 5.1 was due to the existing in-wall wiring. I didn't want to go through construction on the room.

schan1269 said:
How "high wall" is the front wiring?
I don't have to use the front wiring; to answer your question though - the outlets are the same in all 4 speaker spots in the room. It sits about 6.5' or so off the ground.

I took some pictures, sorry for the messy room. It was the holidays and all, and I need to clean it up. :)

11570893934_ee3824e6ed_b.jpg

11570896044_fc77015878_b.jpg

11570985846_267457c47a_b.jpg

11571012743_860677e83f_b.jpg

Thanks,
Mike

ZenOhSix

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
Why not get a 7.1 and utilize DPL IIz/DSX?If you choose that, it makes your choices simpler.
Based on what I googled - it looks like I could take advantage of the 7.1 DLP IIz! I could get floor mounted speakers as well as high front mounted as well. The rears though, that would be a challenge as there is no other spot for the rear placement than the high-mounted positions.

Great idea!

I just don't know what to buy. Since I am sinking a decent amount of money in this, I want it to be awesome.
Thanks again for your help.
Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
Your rear channel can stay there. Why change the speakers? Add a pair if Boston Acoustics towers and a better sub.You barely need to spend $2000 here. Unless you go for a gonzo $1000 subwoofer.

ZenOhSix

Auditioning
Real Name
Mike
schan1269 said:
Your rear channel can stay there.Why change the speakers? Add a pair if Boston Acoustics towers and a better sub.You barely need to spend $2000 here. Unless you go for a gonzo $1000 subwoofer.
I guess I figured that I needed a whole new setup. Is a speaker a speaker? What I have now is CR75's for the front and CR65s for the rears. I have the Boston CRC center speaker and Yamaha V620 receiver. The sub I have now is the PV600.

Right now, the sound system... feels like it just stinks. It may just not be working well, hooked up wrong (seems pretty easy to setup - wires are very straight forward), or something else. I am just not satisfied at all. I sense NO surround sound at all in my current movie watching (dvd player, optical cord to the receiver). Just loud sound.

Mike

schan1269

HTF Expert
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam
One issue is...you have lousy speaker placement on the front stage. That will be fixed once you get a different TV and towers and your present fronts move to height.

Ideally, your center speaker will be oriented in a better location(under the screen)...which you can't do with the present TV. You might upgrade the center to match the BA towers you get. Classic will cost less...these are quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-M340B-Floorstanding-Speaker/dp/B00A3990EK/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388207365&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+m340

Pair of those and this...
http://www.amazon.com/Boston-Acoustics-MCenter-Channel-Speaker/dp/B00BCKXYQO/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1388207425&sr=1-1&keywords=boston+mcenter

Leave the other 4 alone.

Then pick a Denon/Onkyo(personal choice) that included IIz and DSX or a Yamaha that does Presence(and hopefully has IIz). Pioneer/Elite is a good choice as well, but I don't know how far up you have to go to get IIz.

Onkyo includes IIz and DSX on the NR828(or last years 717 or 818). Denon includes IIz and DSX on the X3000 or last years 3313.

Audio5

Auditioning
Real Name
Marc
I just upgraded a few pieces of hardware my self. Take a look at the Onkyo line. Good power for the price. Also Polk audio has some good speakers in a solid price point. And I just picked up a Denon bluray player it spins just about everything. This can be done in your price range. You can have power to fill your room, quality audio, and be ready for any new tech coming out down the road

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks