What's new
World Wide Stereo

Receiver Decision: Sony 100ES vs. Denon 1x (1 Viewer)

BenF

Agent
Hello all, new user and first post here. Have spent a lot of time the past few days reading the threads and searching some old ones. I am looking for some insight and advice on a receiver purchase.

I have narrowed it down to the Sony 1000ES and one of the Denon 1x units (1604 or 1804.) and want to hear from you guys which unit you prefer and why, and which you think is a better value.

Pertinent info:
Music/Movie usage is 50/50. I am buying in stages, so right now all I have is front speakers (Mirage Omni 260)

I am not looking for tons of bells and whistles, when I bought my speakers I was playing around with the Sony DE597 and found its usability and options fine, but was not impressed with the SQ. Came home to read up on it, and found general consensus said go for the Sony ES line.

Budget - The 1804 is available at tweeter now for $350. The sony is available online authorized for around $500. Don't want to spend more than that.

I have not been able to demo the units back to back, but would like to hear what everyone thinks about the sound quality from both units. Also, i would like to hear from people who have used these units about their ease of use. I want something that is fairly simple to set up and intuitive to use. Right now I am leaning towards one of the Denon units - it seems like the Denon models I am looking at offer similar sound quality than the more expensive Sony unit. The only other concern is that I already have a Sony TV and DVD player, so it may be nice to have all similar units.

Please let me know what you think. Hoping to order something in the next few days. Thanks in advance for any help!

- ben

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Not that I prefer the Denon but I do prefer the price. Both can be considered mid-level with the Sony having a slight advantage due to the warranty. My suggestion- Get the Denon and add a used 2 channel amp. Regardless of what you decide to do in the future, you'll always have the amp to carry over to your next purchase. Total price could be slightly above your stated $500 limit but can also be considered a piece that will never go out of date. Spend the few extra bucks if need be and go the combo route.

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
For $500 I don't think there's anything out there that can touch the Pioneer 1014TX. It's available online for $450 w/ free shipping from two different VERY reputable authorized dealers. It's exactly the same receiver as the Pioneer Elite 52TX minus multi-room pre-outs and RS232 port. The Elite 52TX sells for $800. The 1014TX amp section should be much stronger than the 1604 or 1804 w/ better processing, automatic calibration and room-eq, 7ch of amplification, and PLIIx. The 1014TX weighs in at 40lb where the 1804 is around 28lb. I had an 1803 and it was a great receiver, but I upgraded to an Elite 43TX and it was a big step up. I just replaced my Elite 43TX w/ the 1014TX and it was another more subtle step up (more features, better processing, same amplification) but for the price it just can't be beat.

Also, you can't add external amplification to the Denon's he mentioned because they lack pre-outs for all channels. They only have pre-outs for the subwoofer.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Probably have to move up to the Denon 2803/4 to get the pre outs for an amp. Don't know what these go for now but, probably out of budget and too far away from your $500 limit.

BenF

Agent
Thanks for the replies so far.

I have no desire for all those extra features and definately need to stay under the $500 budget.

It has taken me a long time to narrow down my choice between the Sony and the Denon units, so adding any more choices now would just make my decision even more difficult!

JAck, why the suggestion of an amp? Do you not think the 1804 would stand alone and do the job itself? I am looking for a simple system with the best sound quality at a decent price. My brand and usability preference goes to Sony since my TV and DVD are both sony, but I have read and heard such good things about the Denons that i wanted to see what everyone had to say.

JackS

Supporting Actor
Ben- Most everyone does fine with a receiver only. The amp suggestion requires that someone have a desire to go this extra step. It seems many people want to start out in HT with a minimum system and then gradually move up to something a little better with the next purchase. The amp connected to a relative inexpensive receiver now, provides power that even expensive receivers cant't match. As a bonus the amp can be used with any upgrade that you may wish to do in the future. If this doesn't interest you, then I agree that a receiver only should be enough.

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Ben,

Lots of good advice has been given so far. If you were to ever expand your system in terms of adding more than 5 speakers, you might desire having the Pro Logic IIx option. If this is the case, then the Sony and Denon should be crossed off your list.

The Pioneer 1014, from what I've read, is quite a good receiver. Also, Yamaha was suggested. The HTR-5760, which I own, is also a very good performer. Both offer DPL IIx and both are well within your price range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bmoore9
Recent bookmarks