What's new

Rear speaker sound (1 Viewer)

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Hi all.
I have a htr-6230 and i never seem to hear any sound out of the rear speakers.
In setup i get the tone for setting volume. I have set the rear high and brought the front down a bit but still get nothing.
I have hdmi to the tv and optical connection.
Same result with various movies and various servers. Netflix stan plex chromecast etc.
Have large fronts. Small rear. +Center.
Tried pro logic and PLII movie.

Any suggestions what i can look at?
Thanks.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
My guess would be the optical output format has not been correctly configured on the TV. Make sure it is set to Dolby Digital 5.1 or similar.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
What's your TV? Ones like my Vizio have an setting called Digital Audio Out that must be set for Digital instead of PCM or Auto.

Martino

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Martin O.
To help with the debug - you need to look at every link in the chain.

Initial Setup:

You should be going from a source to the unit and then out to the TV- and each source should be going into it's own location.

"In setup i get the tone for setting volume. I have set the rear high and brought the front down a bit but still get nothing.
I have hdmi to the tv and optical connection.
Same result with various movies and various servers. Netflix stan plex chromecast etc."

Not sure if what you are describing above is what I am answering...

Will take 1 at a time...

• Whatever source you are getting for Netflix -- (say a Roku box)
    • HDMI from this box into Input 1 HDMI on the receiver (whatever this is labeled)
    • Input 1 on the receiver set to receive multi-channel setup
    • Roku box setup to output multi-channel sound
    • HDMI output from the receiver to the input of the TV - this will be used for video only, as you want to pull the sound and not use the TV speakers
    • Disable/turn off the TV speakers

After you get the 1st one working -- then follow this path:
  • Whatever source you are using for media (Example: Blue ray player)
    • ...repeat the instructions above - should only have to do these for all remaining sources:
      • HDMI from this box into Input X HDMI on the receiver (whatever this is labeled)
      • Input X on the receiver set to receive multi-channel setup
      • Source - setup to output multi-channel sound

Also some things to note:
  • Not all sources will output rear channel sound -- over the air broadcasts / TV will seldom use the rear channels. You want to ensure you are testing with a source you know should have the surround activated.
  • If you are going from the TV output into the receiver - most times the TV will only output a stereo signal - so the surrounds will never be activated. That is why you want to go into the receiver first if you can.
  • If you are using a smart TV as the source for everything - then you need to go into the audio settings on the TV and ensure that it is outputting the full PCM sound (or whatever they call it in your menu's -- sounds like output is somehow set to "Stereo" if this is the case....

Good luck!

Last edited:

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Thanks all
Thanks Martino for so much info.
It was late and i made an error.
I have all devices connected to TV and an optical cable from TV to amp.
I read that the amp won't use audio from hdmi 😕 (see pic)
Here are my TV audio settings
We just bought a new chromecast with plex netflix and all sorts and even Avitar gets me no rears 😒

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220927-091337_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220927-091337_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    96.3 KB · Views: 64
  • 20220927_072443.jpg
    20220927_072443.jpg
    349.9 KB · Views: 61

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I ask again...what make and model is your TV? I fail to see how it lacks ARC capability.

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Tv is an lg ..not sure the model here n now. It has dolby digital and plus. Pcm.

sleroi

Screenwriter
Real Name
Gavin Kopp
Your instructions say to mute the monitor, you have your TV (monitor) output set to internal speaker and audio out, change it to just audio out. Arc shouldn't matter with an optical cable, optical cable can pass 5.1.

But really, you should have all your devices connected to your 6230 and the 6230 connected to the TV with an HDMI cable.

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Ok I'll give the cabling a try.
I did try various options like optical out only etc but it made no difference.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I think the receiver lacks ARC/eARC support.

So how does an amp suggest it does surround if it can't?

Well, (e)ARC is a tech that came later via HDMI, which your AVR's design is probably too old to have. It's really only helpful if you insist on using your TV instead of the AVR (or some other switcher) to be the main hub to switch between sources and/or use your TV's relatively new tech of streaming apps and such (vs using a separate, typically better, device for streaming... though most AVRs nowadays do at least also provide audio/music streaming apps/capabilities).

It's not really a requirement at all (and nobody definitely needed it) to do surround sound in general... until lossless surround audio came along (w/ the advent of Blu-ray). All it tries to do is simplify and streamline the connections so you wouldn't need the extra connection via a method that couldn't support lossless surround audio... plus provide support for the latter in such scenario.

Normally, you really should use the AVR to be the main hub instead, not the TV. The TV should just be a video output display like the speakers are just (the final) audio output devices.

For instance, there certainly are some speakers that come w/ built-in functionality that can switch between audio sources, but generally, that's not needed in most cases.

TVs have the (largely legacy) switching capability because most people didn't used to use AVRs or something else for main hub because they weren't bothering w/ (much) better audio setups w/ separate, external speakers, etc and surround sound to boot in their homes...

_Man_

Last edited:

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
Ok so before I give up and go buy a new amp.
My amp says it does surround.
Lets say I play a movie on the TV app Netflix. (Plex, Stan, Disney+ whichever)
I have set my audio options on the TV to Dolby DTS or whatever. (LG LF6300)
I have selected external speaker via the optical cable.
The optical cable is plugged into DTV/CBL on the amp and is on that input and
Pro logic II is set.
I get great sound from fronts and sub.
Speakers work fine in test. Rear levels at highest.

Why would I not get surround from this?

Thanks 👍

Razzle

Auditioning
Real Name
Darren
I got it.
I changed so many things but I noticed the TV was set to PCM.
The only option I had was to set the TV to Auto and that did the trick.
Done some dolby surround tests and all good..
I have to turn the fronts way down to get balance to rear. I think that maaaay be a cable thickness issue.
May have to run some new ones.

Thanks for all your input 👍

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Ok so before I give up and go buy a new amp.
My amp says it does surround.
Lets say I play a movie on the TV app Netflix. (Plex, Stan, Disney+ whichever)
I have set my audio options on the TV to Dolby DTS or whatever. (LG LF6300)
I have selected external speaker via the optical cable.
The optical cable is plugged into DTV/CBL on the amp and is on that input and
Pro logic II is set.
I get great sound from fronts and sub.
Speakers work fine in test. Rear levels at highest.

Why would I not get surround from this?

Thanks 👍
I admire your patience with this issue as we all try to assist. After reviewing the manual for your TV, I was left feeling a bit frustrated at it's brevity.

The good news is, I seriously doubt your problem requires the replacement of any equipment. While I'm not impressed with it's documentation, your TV appears quite capable. The receiver isn't as capable but, as you said, clearly supports Dolby Digital 5.1 along with DTS. I would recommend replacing it when practical as it is severely limiting the TV's usefulness and your overall experience, but it should not be an immediate necessity.

For now, here are the best suggestions I can provide.

1) Review this page to double check the TV's audio config.

2) Assuming the first step does not reveal the issue, below is what your receivers documentation says to check. Here is the link for the complete manual.

I captured the below excerpt from page 42.
1664374428163.png

3) The receiver has a second optical input intended for a CD player. As a last resort it might be instructive at least to try this one.

Best of luck!

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
I admire your patience with this issue as we all try to assist. After reviewing the manual for your TV, I was left feeling a bit frustrated at it's brevity.

The good news is, I seriously doubt your problem requires the replacement of any equipment. While I'm not impressed with it's documentation, your TV appears quite capable. The receiver isn't as capable but, as you said, clearly supports Dolby Digital 5.1 along with DTS. I would recommend replacing it when practical as it is severely limiting the TV's usefulness and your overall experience, but it should not be an immediate necessity.

For now, here are the best suggestions I can provide.

1) Review this page to double check the TV's audio config.

2) Assuming the first step does not reveal the issue, below is what your receivers documentation says to check. Here is the link for the complete manual.

I captured the below excerpt from page 42.
View attachment 155408

3) The receiver has a second optical input intended for a CD player. As a last resort it might be instructive at least to try this one.

Best of luck!

He apparently figured it out -- just a temporarily lost/mistaken/forgotten(?) setting in the midst of all the attempts/variables/etc -- while you were writing all that, hehheh...

But yeah, might be good to consider eventually upgrading the AV receiver anyway (though that's not urgent at this point)...

_Man_

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Well it would definitely be a lot easier on him if he did upgrade the receiver. Comparatively speaking of course that's the "cheap" part of a 5.1 setup and would largely remove the need to have multiple things plugged into his tv.

ManW_TheUncool

His Own Fool
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
ManW
Well it would definitely be a lot easier on him if he did upgrade the receiver. Comparatively speaking of course that's the "cheap" part of a 5.1 setup and would largely remove the need to have multiple things plugged into his tv.

I don't know about "cheap" part -- that really all depends. My Anthem prepro (acquired "cheaply" used as only way I felt all that justifiable) plus Emotiva 5-channel amp (that's fairly "cheap" as far as separates go) might wanna have a cow about being called "cheap" part(s), LOL! ;):D:laugh::laugh::laugh:

_Man_

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
He apparently figured it out -- just a temporarily lost/mistaken/forgotten(?) setting in the midst of all the attempts/variables/etc -- while you were writing all that, hehheh...

But yeah, might be good to consider eventually upgrading the AV receiver anyway (though that's not urgent at this point)...

_Man_
Ha. Well, I guess the Universe felt I needed some typing and research practice. Very happy to know it's all working now.
Happy New York Yankees GIF by YES Network

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks