What's new

R.I.P. William Hurt (1 Viewer)

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Wow, I’m shocked by this. I happen to think 71 is pretty young these days.

William Hurt was one of the best actors of his generation. He made everything he was in better, and he was in some great movies. Probably my favorite role of his was Broadcast News, of which I never tire.

He was way too young to go. I always thought he had a lot more great roles left in him. So sorry for him and his family.

Bernard McNair

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Bernard McNair
What awonderful body of work that Mr. Hurt leaves behind.
I love his work in The Big Chill and Kiss of the Spiderwoman to name but two.
I had the great good fortune to see him play James Tyrone in A Long Days Journey into Night for the Sydney Theatre Company around 15 years ago; an excellent performance that I unfortunately had the opportunity to experience only once.
RIP and many thanks Mr. Hurt.

Reactions: PMF

Matt Hough

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Matt Hough
A talented and versatile actor growing from leading man to character roles even while still young. Loved him in so many films, but his work in A History of Violence was so quirky and memorable that I've never forgotten it.

Tommy R

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tommy
I have enjoyed many of his performances, but wanted to give a shout out to his character Marshall in Mr Brooks. That was a great one! Rest In Peace, sir!

joshEH

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh
One of my favorite actors. He won his statue for Spider Woman and he's great in Broadcast News, but his single-scene History of Violence-turn will forever be my favorite work of his. "How do you fuck THAT up?" is universal currency in meme-speak.

JoeStemme

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joseph
William Hurt certainly had a strange trajectory to his career. He came in like a rocket with a string of roles in milestone movies from ALTERED STATES, BODY HEAT, BIG CHILL on up to ACCIDENTAL TOURIST. Three straight Best Actor nominations in consecutive years including a win for KISS OF THE SPIDERWOMAN. And, then? He continued to work steadily, but he never again quite got back that A List "it" factor. Personal scandals certainly didn't help, and his cool laid back demeanor sort of kept him from the warm cuddly phase that a Tom Hanks has played off of for years. It was nice to see him have one last major hurrah with the nomination for A HISTORY OF VIOLENCE.
TV, indies and supporting roles kept him busy (and, I'm sure the Marvel paychecks were nice)
RIP

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
I was looking for a statement from his Children of a Lesser God costar Marlee Matlin, but she's currently in London for the BAFTAs, where her film CODA is having an incredible night. So I'm not sure she's even learned of his passing yet. And their personal relationship was fraught and complicated, so she might abide the old adage "If you don't have anything nice to say..."
Here you go: https://variety.com/2022/film/news/marlee-matlin-william-hurt-death-rape-allegation-1235204607/

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
Oddly enough, the film that I think of when I think of him is Altered States. Mostly because a friend of mine, Jack, had known him from private school. When a movie service started showing Altered States, I sat Jack down, saying, "You've got to watch this..." At some point during the film, he started shouting, "Oh, my God! That's Bill Hurt!" I said, yes, that's William Hurt." "No, you don't understand, that's Bill Hurt. I knew him from the drama group at school!"

Altered States was Hurt's first film, and Jack had no idea that he'd made the big time.

Given the popularity of the recent movie version, I'm rather surprised that the news items about his passing don't mention that he was the headliner in the Sci Fi Channel mini-series of Dune.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
I surprisingly have very little William Hurt in my collection. Someday this week I will re-watch The Incredible Hulk which I think is the movie I have of him with his biggest part.

jayembee

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jerry
I surprisingly have very little William Hurt in my collection. Someday this week I will re-watch The Incredible Hulk which I think is the movie I have of him with his biggest part.
He's no Sam Elliott (who played Thunderbolt Ross in Ang Lee's Hulk), but Hurt did a solid job in his MCU appearances.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Someday this week I will re-watch The Incredible Hulk which I think is the movie I have of him with his biggest part.
Of course he is a Hulk comic character by origin. But I actually think his most significant MCU appearance was in Civil War because he really starts that conflict in motion by introducing the Sokovia Accords. He looms over a lot of that film, even the scenes he's not in, in his attempt to make the Avengers answer for their action. I also think Civil War is a much better movie than Incredible Hulk. So I would probably reach for that one.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Thanks, classy statement that I don't know that I would have been able to make in her shoes, given what happened later in their relationship.
I wonder how the Oscars telecast will handle his passing in light of that situation. Hurt should be acknowledged in the in memoriam segment along with the others who passed away since the previous ceremony. That being said, Matlin is almost certainly going to be present at the Oscars on behalf of Coda. The Academy may not want that to be triggering for her or for them to to seen as insensitive.

I don't want to speculate on her feelings, but that statement seemed generous on her behalf. So maybe they will go ahead and acknowledge him. That is a sticky situation though.

Wayne_j

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Of course he is a Hulk comic character by origin. But I actually think his most significant MCU appearance was in Civil War because he really starts that conflict in motion by introducing the Sokovia Accords. He looms over a lot of that film, even the scenes he's not in, in his attempt to make the Avengers answer for their action. I also think Civil War is a much better movie than Incredible Hulk. So I would probably reach for that one.
Or I could watch both.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I wonder how the Oscars telecast will handle his passing in light of that situation. Hurt should be acknowledged in the in memoriam segment along with the others who passed away since the previous ceremony. That being said, Matlin is almost certainly going to be present at the Oscars on behalf of Coda. The Academy may not want that to be triggering for her or for them to to seen as insensitive.
I think they will absolutely acknowledge him. He was a big star, a respected actor and an Oscar winner. I just hope they have enough sense not to pan to Matlin for her reaction during the brief segment. That would seem cheap.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
annefnlys01
Recent bookmarks