What's new

R.I.P. William Hurt (1 Viewer)

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Unfortunately, another great actor has left us. William Hurt has passed away at 71.

William Hurt's son also named Will said:
It is with great sadness that the Hurt family mourns the passing of William Hurt, beloved father and Oscar winning actor, on March 13, 2022, one week before his 72nd birthday. He died peacefully, among family, of natural causes. The family requests privacy at this time.”

I think this retroactively makes Black Widow his final completed film role. He was in The King's Daughter earlier this year, but that was filmed in 2014 and sat on the shelf for years. According to IMDb, he was in a TV show that is currently filming and had a couple movie listed in pre-production, which I assume will have to recast him now

Bob Cashill

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert Cashill
A really remarkable starring career that led to stellar supporting parts. Quite a legacy.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
Whether cancer counts as natural causes or not, I'm just happy that he died peacefully with family. Whenever my time comes, I would like to go peacefully.

I'm younger than a lot of people who post here. I know that he was very good in films like The Big Chill and Kiss of the Spider Woman, they aren't the ones I experienced as new projects growing up. This isn't meant to devalue his older work at all; of course his older work is still there and still enjoyable and still great and people should absolutely remember him for it. But for me the two performances I most associate him with are probably ones that most people don't necessarily think of first. Hypothetically, if I had ever gotten to meet him, I would have wanted to talk about Damages and Tuck Everlasting.

He was on Damages for a season-long arc as Daniel Prucell in 2009, which reunited him with Glenn Close. I think Damages is among the finest television shows ever made. I loved it, and I still revisit it from time to time.

Tuck Everlasting was In 2002, and it wasn't widely seen. But I loved it.

Of course, he is also recognizable as General/Secertary of State Ross in the MCU to a lot of younger people and he was good in that part too. But Damages and Tuck are the ones that I would have wanted to bring up because they mean a lot to me and he probably wasn't asked about them quite as often.

Last edited:

bujaki

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jose Ortiz-Marrero
RIP. A fine actor, unforgettable performances in many genres. Sexy as hell with the super-charged Kathleen Turner in Body Heat. Intelligent acting as the gorgeous but stupid anchor in Broadcast News, and as the husband torn between two worlds in Children of a Lesser God.
Although he won the Oscar playing gay in Kiss of the Spider Woman, I personally thought that the film belonged to Raul Julia in the more challenging and difficult role. However, it's still a very fine performance in a powerful film.
I'm truly saddened. Saw him once on stage. We're the same age. Sad thoughts abound.

Garysb

Senior HTF Member
I had the good fortune to see William Hurt on stage in Central Park in "A Midsummer's Night Dream" as Oberon. This was done around the time "Body Heat" was released. Christine Baranski played Helena, and Kevin Conroy ( Batman voice) was Lysander. It was filmed and shown on A&E when that meant Arts and Entertainment. Probably a lesser known performance that could be made available again. Here it is in 2 parts.

Last edited:

Mikael Soderholm

Screenwriter
Real Name
Mikael Söderholm
So sad, and so young, comparably.
So many great roles.
I take comfort in the fact that he died peacefully,
Thanks, William, my thoughts are with you, and your family.
So sad all my heroes leave me, and us ...

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
Growing up in the 80s, as the video store equivalent of a latchkey kid, William Hurt’s films always offered the promise of sophisticated yet relatable performances in movies for grown-ups that made this kid aware that grown-ups didn’t have it figured out any better than us kids did. I liked him instantly the first time I saw him in a film (I don’t remember which) and that’s never changed.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
One of the truly great actors of the Baby Boomer generation. He'll be missed for sure.

My favorite William Hurt performances were in "Children of a Lesser God" and "Broadcast News". He was a fine actor. Rest in peace, William.
I was looking for a statement from his Children of a Lesser God costar Marlee Matlin, but she's currently in London for the BAFTAs, where her film CODA is having an incredible night. So I'm not sure she's even learned of his passing yet. And their personal relationship was fraught and complicated, so she might abide the old adage "If you don't have anything nice to say..."

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
foster2292
Recent bookmarks