What's new

Quick Change on DVD? (2 Viewers)

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Only reviews I came across were on Amazon.com. On a side note, "Quick Change" is $12.99 + tax and BB and CC and $9.08 w/shipping at DeepDiscount.com as well as "Deal of the Century" and "Club Paradise".

john mcfadden

Stunt Coordinator
Sold 10 VHS versions over the last 2 years on Ebay from anywhere to 10-20 bucks on ebay..EVERYTIME I FOUND A COPY FOR CHEAP I SOLD IT ...I'll be picking this up today(feb14th) on DVD FINALLY!!!

Best Buy has it for $12.99 !!!!!!!!!!!

Bob clamer

Supporting Actor
Just got back from Best Buy and they have "Quick Change", "Deal of the Century" and "Club Paradise" for $9.99. I'll still go with DeepDiscountDVD.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just got back from Best Buy and they have "Quick Change", "Deal of the Century" and "Club Paradise" for $9.99.
Thanks for that tip, Bob. I canceled my Amazon backorder and picked up Quick Change at Best Buy. There are very few titles left for which I'm willing to pay a little more to get it quickly, but this is one of them.

M.

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Just a follow-up, now that I've watched the disc: I agree with everything in Colin Jacobson's excellent review (linked above), both on the film and the calibre of the transfer.
To my knowledge, this is the first time Quick Change has been available in widescreen in any format. I don't know if it was the widescreen framing or just the passage of time, but I found myself noticing even more "throwaway" jokes in the background -- e.g., the signs for a particular realty company as our heroes approach the airport, and the sign for the train-to-the-plane behind Murray as he emerges from the subway in full clown regalia.
It's a quintessentially New York film. When the cops arrive and people on the street realize that a bank is being robbed, there's a quick shot of two hot dog vendors frantically racing to get their carts into optimal position for the crowd. Like so much of the movie, it's both ridiculous and absolutely authentic, and it cracks me up every time. :laugh:
M.

Colin Jacobson

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the very nice comments about my review! :b:

When the cops arrive and people on the street realize that a bank is being robbed, there's a quick shot of two hot dog vendors frantically racing to get their carts into optimal position for the crowd. Like so much of the movie, it's both ridiculous and absolutely authentic, and it cracks me up every time.
I watched Dog Day Afternoon for the first time last week - I'd not realized how much of the bank robbery elements of Quick Change were an obvious homage to that film. Quick Change fans should definitely check out Dog Day - it's fun to see the similarities...

Andrew Bunk

Screenwriter
Funny you should mention that Colin. I'm planning to watch Dog Day very soon. I've had it on my HD-DVR for about a month, and I'll likely buy the DVD as well. Now I have another reason to look forward to both films-thanks!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'd not realized how much of the bank robbery elements of Quick Change were an obvious homage to that film.
Although there's nothing in the film to support this, I always imagined that Murray's character, Grimm, drew inspiration for his plan from Dog Day Afternoon. It's not so far-fetched, since Grimm works in City Planning, and Lumet's films of the 70s are an indelible portrait of the NYC of that era -- just the kind of thing an ambitious city planner might find himself studying.

You can almost imagine the thought process: "When the cops and the media show up, the robbery turns into a circus, and . . . wait a minute!"

Someday I have to read the novel on which this was based.

M.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks