What's new
World Wide Stereo

Question about weak sub output (1 Viewer)

mojque

Auditioning
Real Name
Brandon Mogg
Hello, I'm new to posting here but have been reading the board for some time.

I'm having trouble getting a reasonable level of output from my sub. I recently bought the PA-120 because the sub with my Onkyo HTIB package (the $500 one) seemed weak as it was constantly set close to max volume for normal watching. I have 2 buddies with similar Onkyo HTIB sets that have great bass response from subs, and they never have theirs turned up.

The PA-120 appears to have the same problem though, so I'm thinking the sub pre-out on the back of the amp is sending a weak signal. There's no way I should have to turn the PA-120 up to the max for regular movie watching, right? I mostly read that people are setting theirs to level 4, maybe 5 tops.

I have the receiver from the Onkyo SR800 HTIB.

Here's my settings:

1) subwoofer is "on"

2) all speakers set to "small"

3) the crossover at 80hz on the receiver (have tried 100, 120, 150 but just adds more rumble, not punch)

4) no EQ adjustments on the receiver

5) subwoofer level at +/-0

6) distance from sub at 8 ft

7) the crossover on the sub set to max

8) subwoofer volume set to max

AudesseyEQ has given me mixed results. There's more bass in the corners of the room but not significantly so, so I don't think placement can be directly to blame. I've tried 2 different RCA cables to carry the signal, and there was no difference.

There's just no punch in the sub. I have a $300 KRK subwoofer with my studio monitors for my computer that I can't turn over 25% volume and it blows my home theater away in bass response.

Any advice would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

-Brandon

Robert_J

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by mojque
AudesseyEQ has given me mixed results. There's more bass in the corners of the room but not significantly so, so I don't think placement can be directly to blame.
Audessey works great when you have nothing but peaks in the in-room response. But when you have room induced nulls, adding EQ to the problem does nothing but waste amp power. I suggest that plot the sub's response at your listening position. All it will take is a $40 SPL meter (Radio Shack analog model is the best model for this). Everything else free on the internet. Well, not everything but 99% of the people on this board have access to Microsoft Excel.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aftermedi
Recent bookmarks