What's new

Question about subwoofer settings (1 Viewer)

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
In my receiver, I have the front 3 speakers set to small, and crossover set to 8o hz. All 3 speakers are rated down to 49 hz.

1) On the back of sub, the crossover adjusts from 50 hz. to 200 hz. Where should I set it?

2) In the receiver under sub output, should I choose "LFE" or "LFE + MAIN" ?

Thanks.

Last edited:

Craig Chase

Gear Guru
Real Name
Craig
Jim - Set the sub's crossover to 150 Hz. The receiver is handling the crossover at 80 Hz. Set sub output to LFE + Main.

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
Thanks. I was wrong. The sub adjusts from 50 to 200 hz. Set it at 200 then ?

What is the difference between the LFE and LFE + MAIN setting ? The manual is very vague.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Thanks. I was wrong. The sub adjusts from 50 to 200 hz. Set it at 200 then ?

What is the difference between the LFE and LFE + MAIN setting ? The manual is very vague.
Yep. Set it to either its highest setting or "Disable" if you have that option.

LFE sends only data specifically encoded for the Low Frequency Effects [LFE] channel to the sub whereas LFE + Main sends the LFE channel along with low frequency data [below selected crossover] of all speakers set to Small.

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
Great article @xx Brian xx ! I did not understand this as well as I thought I did. Looking forward to some experimentation later this evening.

@Jim517 - My apologies as what I said above is not accurate according to this article. I'll let you read it for yourself as it does a better job of explaining it than I can.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Thanks for posting that. I've been trying to tell people those things for years, and very few will listen. So many refuse to set their main speakers to "Small", and I might add, there is a strong desire to set the crossover too low. The misunderstandings in this area are vast.

It does explain something I was always unclear on. If I'm understanding this right, when you have all speakers set to "Small", then there's no difference between setting the sub to "LFE" and "LFE + Main". Is that everyone else's understanding? I might still be confused about that detail.

I can post about a personal experience that finally drove this home for me several years ago. When I have more time.

Last edited:

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
If I'm understanding this right, when you have all speakers set to "Small", then there's no difference between setting the sub to "LFE" and "LFE + Main". Is that everyone else's understanding? I might still be confused about that detail.

I think you're spot on, John. I was finally able to do some real-time experimenting and my ears seem to confirm this. It's too bad the AVR/Pre/Pro manufacturers won't do a better job of explaining this in their menus since [as implementer] they should understand the science. Our Marantz units are better than most but still only say...

• LFE - Plays low range and LFE signals of channels set to Small
  • LFE + Main -Plays low range and LFE signals of all channels
Not entirely accurate...

This sort of thing has historically been a necessary compromise [think of early MS DOS] to accommodate available Read Only Memory [ROM] in the hardware of days past but we are long beyond those limitations and comprehensive AVR Pre/Pro menus would be a huge step up in this industry.

xx Brian xx

Second Unit
Real Name
Brian
It does explain something I was always unclear on. If I'm understanding this right, when you have all speakers set to "Small", then there's no difference between setting the sub to "LFE" and "LFE + Main". Is that everyone else's understanding? I might still be confused about that detail.

This is how I always understood it to be. The only time I would use LARGE is when a client wants a ton of bass and then I would make the front two speakers LARGE and turn on LFE+mains or on Yamha Xtra Bass, etc.

Brian

Jim517

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Jim
No problem John. I read it, but it's a little confusing.

On the back of sub, I set it all the way up to 200 hz, Set the speakers to small, the crossover for speakers at 80 hz, and sub output to LFE. That is correct, isn't it ?

John Dirk

Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
JOHN
No problem John. I read it, but it's a little confusing.

On the back of sub, I set it all the way up to 200 hz, Set the speakers to small, the crossover for speakers at 80 hz, and sub output to LFE. That is correct, isn't it ?
If there's no disable function then I would say this is correct concerning crossover on the sub. You're basically letting your AVR handle this as opposed to the sub itself. The other parameters are more subjective based on your desired results but I have my settings basically the same as yours as I have a capable sub and want it to handle the heavy lifting.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks