What's new

Looking to buy a Dolby atmos surround sound system, but stuck on receiver channel power! (1 Viewer)

Trist100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan Terris-Tuppe
Hello!

I'm thinking of picking up this complete set up for a home theater setup () I can save a bit of money buying the package then buying them separately. Each speaker seems to be rated for 100-145 watts max.

And I've been looking around for some receivers, I know some people recommend going with a system were I get a pre-amp, amp, etc. But I'd rather just 1 box that can do it all. I found this one on amazon and took a look at some reviews, I love all the features and would be happy paying the price for it, (Granted I would get it probably on sale) ()

A lot of reviews said it would run at 90 watts continuous, with 145watts peak. That sounds great, I'm sure the speakers would sound great at 90 watts continuous, probably loud?? (I'm new to this and not sure if that is really loud or just normal listening volume)

MY MAIN QUESTION: The reviews also said that the receiver will do 90 watts, 2 channel driven. Well, that means my other speakers, center, rear, and top. Would not be getting enough power, right? The subwoofer is powered, so I Wouldn't have to worry about that, but wouldn't only 2 channels driven at 90 watts cause my other speakers to be very low in volume? I plan to also enable Dolby Atmos if that helps any!

Thank you so much for any of all information!

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
You're correct that the 90 watts is only when driving two channels. When you do a full surround system, especially with a low end receiver, you're limited by the available power coming IN. What that means is that even though the receiver has amplifiers that are capable of sending out 90 WPC, it only has enough power coming in to do that with two channels. So, the real world output capability when driving a full surround system can be half the rating, or even less. Bottom line, receiver specs are always exaggerated. Sometimes to absurd extremes.

As far as speakers go, I don't know those ones, but Sony isn't know for their speakers. I don't know what's available in Canada, but maybe you can find something from Paradigm, or the Pioneer 22 line.

Trist100

Auditioning
Real Name
Tristan Terris-Tuppe
You're correct that the 90 watts is only when driving two channels. When you do a full surround system, especially with a low end receiver, you're limited by the available power coming IN. What that means is that even though the receiver has amplifiers that are capable of sending out 90 WPC, it only has enough power coming in to do that with two channels. So, the real world output capability when driving a full surround system can be half the rating, or even less. Bottom line, receiver specs are always exaggerated. Sometimes to absurd extremes.

As far as speakers go, I don't know those ones, but Sony isn't know for their speakers. I don't know what's available in Canada, but maybe you can find something from Paradigm, or the Pioneer 22 line.
Hi thanks for your response.

So i should stay away from doing a full 7.1 setup, unless i get a higher end receiver? I also heard that all the other speakers are only gonna use a low amount of wattage, since the two front speakers are gonna do most of the volume. But i don't wanna risk buying all of this and then not being able to hear my surround sound speakers

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks