What's new

Funny thing, Dolby Surround mode came out in 1991! (1 Viewer)

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
I was looking back at my previous 1991 Kenwood KRV6030 documentation and found that the surround sound on this receiver was called Dolby Surround. The same name they call their up-mixing surround mode today.

However back in 1991 on the Kenwood, this was about the simplest surround system you could have as it was a matrix mono surround channel feeding 2 back speakers. The Kenwood was 100 watts/ch and the surround channels were only 15 watt/channel. This surround mode only had 2 front and 2 rear speakers. No center or subwoofer channel.

I thought that the new up-mixing Dolby Surround name sounded familiar.

YANG

Screenwriter
my Dolby Surround life starts from SHERWOOD with RV6030R
6030r.jpg

a pity that Sherwood, the company doesn't live thru the 4K age.​

KPmusmag

Screenwriter
Real Name
Kevin Parcher
I adopted laserdisc in 1985. My Dad is an electrical engineer, and with his help, we built a Hafler circuit to decode the matrix surround in movies such as Star Wars. It was awesome, but I remember being so thrilled when I was able to buy a Pioneer receiver in 1989 that featured Dolby Surround. Those were fun days when home theater for the 'average guy" was taking form.

Mark-P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mark Probst
I had a Fosgate surround sound decoder even earlier than that, in 1985. It decoded and amplified the rear channel (2 speakers) and decoded the front right, left and center, which needed external amplification. This would be plain old Dolby Surround, without the steering logic which came out several years later.

Mike Up

Supporting Actor
The Technics SA-GX790 was my first "Pro-Logic" receiver. It was a true 120 watt/channel in Stereo and I believe 100 watt/ch X 4 in Pro Logic. That 2 X100 watts front, 1 x 100 watts Center, and 1 x 100 watts surround (50 watts/speaker X 2 wired together in series through receiver internals).

This replaced the Kenwood KRV6030 that was in the shop a lot for a failing potentiometer and motor in the volume knob. Last Kenwood I would buy.

Later the Technics was replaced by a "Dolby Digital" receiver, the Yamaha R-V1103/RX-V793.
My old Technics SA-GX790 Receiver.jpg
My old Technics SA-GX790 Receiver 2.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks