What's new

Question about DTS-HD (repost) (1 Viewer)

batfur

Auditioning
Real Name
michael Nava
I only have an Onkyo THX-s990 integrated HTsystem (7.1, but only have 5.1connected), and I have a PS3.

What I want to know is if the cool features of DTS-HD (high bitrate and such) are backwards compatible with regular DTS. My receiver is only able to decode DTS 24/96/ and DTS-ES and DTS Neo:6.

Since it is able to do that, will it siort of take advantage of the Blue Ray sound (making it semi-supportive of DTS-HD)?

I don't know where I heard this, but I think someone said that it will infact support the DTS-HD features, but it just won't say DTS-HD on your reciever (where Dolby True HD won't work at all because it uses a different "something").

Any help will be great.

(I reposted this becuase the 1st one I posted was in the wrong section.)

Adam Barratt

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Adam
DTS-HD in both flavours is backward compatible with existing DTS decoders such as that in your Onkyo, but you will only hear the 'core' of the soundtrack.

The core is usually 1509kbps, so although you won't get the full benefit of DTS HD High Resolution or Master Audio, it should sound better than DTS from DVD which commonly operates at 754kbps.

The following diagram should give you an idea of what your decoder 'sees' when dealing with the various DTS soundtracks it may encounter on Blu-ray:

Whoever talked to you about TrueHD may have meant that while DTS-HD has a core that can be extracted and used by legacy decoders, TrueHD does not. A separate Dolby Digital soundtrack is usually also present on a disc to compensate, as TrueHD decoding is not mandatory on Blu-ray players (while DTS and conventional Dolby Digital decoding are).

Adam

ToEhrIsHuman

Second Unit
Real Name
Craig Ehr
Very good info, thanx.

But more pertinent to the OP's question, as he is using a PS3 for his BD player, the main issue is moot. The PS3 will not bitstream DTS-HD nor DTS-HD MA so whether your receiver can decode the signal or not isn't a factor here. If your receiver can accept a PCM signal via HDMI then you can enjoy the best of audio that the PS3 can deliver via internal decoding, including DTS-HD (MA). Just make sure you have your PS3 audio set to "PCM" and not "bitstream".

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.