What's new

PW-2200 Beats SVS....NOT!! (1 Viewer)

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
its a good sub, but like you said . pretty good. you will never hear anyone call an SVS pretty good. :)

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
Well ron, if you cover all or most of the costs it wouldn't be big deal at all. I hear nothing but good things about svs, which is rare in this day and age!
I wish there was someone around my area that had a svs but to tell you the truth none of my "stereo Buddies" have ever even heard of svs. We all try to say true to Canadian made speakers, because as everyone knows we make the best speakers in the world :D :D But a pb2+ is a sub and its would be nice to hear one for myself rather then people telling me how its sounds. It would be pretty funny if i ever got one no one that came over would know what the heck it was haha. good luck with svs im sure one day it will TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Ron:

Has SVS ever considered opening up a "satellite" office in Canada? I know that DELL has a distribution office in Canada and they sell a pile of computers in Canada. The reason I ask is all electrical devices, sold in Canada, must have a "CSA" label on it from the Canadian Standards Association. If an electronic device does not have this label on it and it is the cause of a fire in a Canadian house than insurance companies may not cover the damage to the house. There have been cases that this has indeed happened. I am not sure if the amps in SVS subs are CSA labelled, but it may be a very minor concern for Canadians.

Cheers..John

Jonathan VDM

Auditioning
I am in the market for a sub and the PW2200 is on the top of my list. What SVS sub is in the same price range as the PW2200 v.3 and is it comparable?! I have only heard rave reviews about the paradigms. I am currently running 2 monitor 9 v.3's for my front mains. Can anybody with an un-biased opinion tell what the major differences are between the subs and what makes one better than the other?

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Just for sh*ts and giggles, I am now running both my new PC-Ultra and my old PW-2200. So far, having just listened to a few songs from the new Yellow Jackets CD, I really believe that it sounds better with both subs running. Seems to have much more headroom. I have them both in the same corner with the PC-Ultra in the corner and the PW-2200 right next to it on the front wall.

It's late now, wife is asleep, but tomorrow, I am going to tune the Ultra down to 16Hz and see what this combo does with a DVD with extreme low material. I might even move the PW-2200 into the corner and stack the Ultra on top of it!! These two subs seem to sound great together and appear to be in phase with each other.

I am surprised at the difference 2 subs has made. The PW-2200 sounded great with music, and OK for movies, the Ultra was a big step up in both categories, but the combo seems to be even a notch better. I am seriously thinking that I may keep the PW-2200 instead of selling it and run both. Was this to be expected when running 2 subs together??

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I wouldnt run 2 different subs. they might cancel each other out or you might not get the performance you would from the SVS with the other running too.

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter

Ralph, I just said they sound better together than either one running separately. I am getting better performance!! They are not cancelling each other out. I even calibrated with Avia and my SPL meter using the PEQ of the Ultra to flatten out a 40Hz peak.

What is the basis of your comment? Have you ever tried this?? I would be interested with other peoples views and comments.

Ralph B

Supporting Actor
I am no pro running 2 subs infact I never have. but when I came up with this question before I was advised not to. if you can change one sub with an eq cool, that will prob help. but unless your running 2 identical subs with an EQ I was told this is a no no. just trying to help not disagree with you. :)

PaulT

Supporting Actor
Alan, I tried 2 different subs (my old KSW-12 and new Servo-15) in 2 corners to try and reduce a big peak at 40Hz due to the room.

The idea was in fact to 'reduce' the SPL at at that frequency. Had limited response to this (by moving the Klipsch around, the 'digm weighs 90 pounds - the X-30 Crossover that comes with the Servo takes 2 subs and can adjust the phase of the second sub remotely), so went and sold the KSW-12 and will be getting a BFD to fix my 'problem' properly.

There are a couple of schools of thought. Floyd Toole (Harman website) wrote a good paper on multiple subs used with success, this includes 2, 4 , etc. Available here:
http://www.harman.com/wp/index.jsp?articleId=default
I have read that most people using 2 subs tend to use the same brand and model as the freq response of the subs themselves should be pretty close, thereby taking uneven sub response out of the equation right from the start. It then becomes a placement issue depending on whether or not you want to fix nulls or reduce peaks.

I think for max SPL alone, stacking of the subs would be the best bet, problematic with 'tube style' units.

Nathan Porteous

Stunt Coordinator
I also agree that 2 different subs could work wonders. My pw2200 and servo 15 together sound awsome and quite a bit better than just one or the other i'm getting around 6 db more headroom with both running, sounds like a pretty big improvment to me;)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Nathan,

I went to a Local HTF Meet last night just north of Cincinnati. The host had 2 SVS 16-46's running along with his 7 Rocket loudspeakers. Talk about bass headroom.

I am definitely keeping my old PW-2200. It adds to the SVS PC-Ultra in a positive way. I am not experiencing any cancellation problems with them both positioned in the same corner!!

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member

I think the biggest "set back" of this situation is the time your gear could sit on the shelf waiting for parts & repairs. I've heard some horror stories regarding wait times.

Getting the part during the week, installing it on a Saturday morning - just in time for the Saturday evening movie seems like the best way to go. :)

Drew_W

Screenwriter

There hasn't been parity between the dollars for ages, and so when we talk about the exchange rate, all is fair and square. Dollar for dollar stuff in the US is cheaper than in Canada because their dollar is worth more than ours. So naturally, some sort of currency conversion must be performed.

The only thing that affects the cost of an SVS getting shipped to Canada is fees coming across the border. And if anyone's ever imported anything by UPS before, they'll know what I'm talking about. I paid $78.55CAN in assorted fees for a $200US DVD player (and I lucked out, because they converted $200US to $200CAN when calculating fees...had they done it properly, I would have paid more). They get you on brokerage, taxes, other silly fees, like a COD fee for payment for the silly fees (they're supposed to call you and give you an option to not have to do COD...oops, they forgot, so they charged me.)

I thought, hmm, I'll get something by USPS this time. A receiver. Great deal. It's been 4 weeks. USPS Airmail Parcel Post is supposed to take 2 weeks. USPS customs clearance is cheaper, but it seems they only do it when they feel like it.

So you either pay through the a$$ and get it faster, or have to wait forever. And USPS rates are, for large items, more expensive than FedEx and UPS to the extend that you may be better off shipping by courier anyways. And the USPS won't ship huge items either.

This Canada/US thing is a mess. Can I volunteer to distribute SVS in Canada? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks