What's new

PW-2200 Beats SVS....NOT!! (1 Viewer)

Alan Pummill

Screenwriter
Well gang, many of you may remember a thread I started several years ago about this subject. I bought a Paradigm PW-2200 over a SVS mainly because I couldn't audition a SVS and didn't want to buy a sub site unheard, as it were!!!

Well, since that infamous post, I have had the opportunity to hear several systems incorporating SVS subs, even one with dual 16-46 PC+'s. I have even auditioned a 25-31 PCi with my Paradigm Monitor series system and my brand new Magnepan system here in MY room.

Now don't get me wrong, the PW-2200 is a great, musical sub...but it CAN'T compete with any of the SVS subs I've heard. I e-mailed Ron at SVS yesterday, and after his very helpful advice, I've placed an order this morning for a SVS PC-Ultra. I was also looking at the PB2-Plus real hard. A future remodel of my listening room makes the smaller footprint of the PC-Ultra my choice.

So it took me several years to finally pull the trigger on a SVS, and Ron at SVS has been great to deal with, heck, he is only charging me double for my PC-Ultra. (JUST KIDDING....I HOPE!!)

Anyone want to buy a PW-2200??

AlanZ

Screenwriter
Real Name
AJ
Several YEARS ago you started a thread about this??? And you're just NOW getting around to seeing the light? My GOD man......that's two years of your life that you've wasted on inferior, inadequate bass! You'll NEVER get those wasted years back. It was only a matter of time until you found the one and ONLY solution to the overwhelming regret you must feel from this gross and unfortunate miscalulation on your part - a last ditch, desperate email from a broken and shamed audiophile to....the Source. The true source of low frequency nirvana....Tom and Ron (and Erik, too....can't forget him). I, for one, am glad that you have seen the light before.....well....before it was too late. As I sit here listening to my PB2-ISD thumping MUSICALLY and effortlessly in the background, I am hopeful not only for you, but for the remaining others who have yet to come to the realization that you have......FINALLY. :)

PS. PC Ultra, eh? Nice :emoji_thumbsup:

Daneel

Stunt Coordinator
JohnSmith: Some of us UK guys know our stuff. You are supposed to come here and bash the americans not the other way around! :)

JimmyK

Second Unit
Real Name
Jim
Alan P. isn't the only one who took a long time to take the SVS plunge.

It took me over a year to do it. And I haven't looked back since!

Now, if I could only convince my other half that I'm not completely insane wanting a second 16-46PC+!:D :D

JimmyK

terence

Supporting Actor

LOL! I had the same problem trying to convince my wife i needed another 20-39PC+. She just shook her head in disbelief, that i wanted/needed another sub.

EdNichols

Second Unit
JohnSmith, Have you been sneeking into Bose's R&D department and stealing their latest designs again???

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
John and Daneel, you guys are hilarious.

I was there to see and feel the reaction Alan had to the(my) SVS and (his)paradigm comparison. We had them both at the same gain level and the same volume level, but only one of them was able to make his door rattle (take a guess).

Congrats on the new sub Alan, can't wait to come back down and hear the set up with the new sub.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
It actually doesn't make sense for an American resident to buy a Paradigm sub. For a Canadian it makes sense to buy a Paradigm PW2200 as it is a better deal for the money. If money was ever at par, I imagine SVS would have a whole slew of new customers. I have a PW2200 and it is a great sub; I was considering an SVS, but with the exchange rate it did not make sense.

Cheers...John

ernie.bin

Stunt Coordinator
same story as John.

After shipping and exchange, an svs didn't work out for me as well as a pw-2100.

I also have a good relationship with my b&m dealer so I can have trial periods and such.

that said, I'd still love to experience an svs :)

Mike Reeter

Agent
Alan,I just placed an order for the PC-Ultra myself,after much agonizing over which "style" to choose,the BIG box or that beautiful cylinder,I finally pulled the trigger...

I also like the smaller footprint of the PC series,don't guess Tom offered a ship date did he? Website says "shipping in 7-12 business days" I just sold the sub we had,and it's tough to be subless...

Enjoy your new Ultra and let everyone hear about it,including the neighbors!!!

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
You guys can probably imagine then what a time I hade getting my wife to go along with a third 25-31CS+?;) That was a feat I tell you.

Mike what a bummer! No sub! I don't know if I could take that? I would be glad to loan you one of mine if you were close by?

Triple Threat!

Mike Reeter

Agent
Man-o-live,3 SVS's...I think you would be appropriate to call you a "Addict" I'm sure you are on the SVS Chrismas list,a spiral cut Honey Baked Ham or something...

LaMarcus

Screenwriter
Real Name
LaMarcus
Steve do you think you made the right move vs. selling the 25-31, and moving up in class? Because I'm in the same boat your in, and I can't figure if I want to step up, or just get another 25-31.:frowning:

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
This blanket statement is not accurate. I am an American resident who purchased a Paradigm sub. I got a great deal, and I can not imagine another sub preforming better for the price I paid. I also have no need to purchase a second or third sub, since my one paradigm provides all the base I need.

GrahamJW

Stunt Coordinator
ChrisPatt:

True enough as you are paying in American money. When a Canadian Paradigm dealer gives me a price it's in Canadian funds, so someone with American money will get the same price, but get an additional discount depending on the exchange rate. When SVS gives a Canadian a price, it's in American funds, so Canadians have to convert and pay an additional exchange rate. From what I can gather from this forum SVS subs are priced (depending on model) lower than Paradigm PW2200s (in U.S. funds). Due to their reviews it is probably better for an American to pick up a SVS over a Paradigm PW2200, but for a Canadian the opposite holds true due to exchange rates.

Don't get me wrong; I own a Paradigm PW2200 v.2 and I love it, but if I lived in the U.S. I probably would have gone with an SVS. I can't the PW2200 to any of the SVS subs as I have never auditioned one.

Cheers..John

ChrisPATT

Stunt Coordinator
I understand what you are saying about the exchange rate, but to state that it doesn't make sense for an American to buy a Paradigm sub I feel is incorrect. I am sure that SVS makes wonderful subs, but they are not the "end-all" sub company. There many other great subs on the market. I purchased my Paradigm Servo15 for about $900, and would gladly put it up against any SVS sub in that price range. The must I have ever pushed my sub is around 50% - and that had everything in the house shaking - even the light ficture on the other side of the front door was shaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
H-508
Recent bookmarks